Boarding

nursebob

I don't like lines and waiting so we like to board late. If the ship is sailing at 4, we board around 3. There is NO ONE waiting to board. There is no one waiting to get on, no crowds, no confusion, staff is waiting for us and pretty much they walk us through like VIPS! There are no lines, no wait. From the time we arrive at the pier, we are on the ship in less than 5 minutes, and when you do arrive at the pier around this time, we get dropped off right in front of the entrance door, there are no more busses, cabs, vans, etc discharging lots and lots of passengers with lots and lots of luggage. Our bags are taken immediately and we proceed to check in where we are waltzed through effortlessly! If you're going to be on a ship for a week, 10 days or "however" long, but having to wait in lines and queue up to be able to get onto the ship a couple hours sooner, it just isn't worth it to us. Also, by this time, cabins are available, so we don't have to keep our hand luggage with us and pretty much everyone else has availed themselves to the lido buffet, so again, there are no lines, no waiting by the time we get there for a late lunch.

What is the best time to board,and are there advantages to the VIP check in? :)

We like to board as soon as possible -- which is usually around 12:00 or so. We figure we've paid for that day, why not enjoy it on the ship?

It does mean we try to manage our carry-on so that there is as little as possible to tote around, as the cabins are usually not ready yet. Since we always fly in the night before, we're able to shift most of what is on our carry-on to our main luggage, just keeping our valuable with us, including meds, cameras, that sort of thing.

We generally arrive at the dock around 11, and while there is a line, it always seems to move rather smoothly and we're on board without much of a hassle. Once on board we take a short tour of the ship, then figure out which dining room is open for lunch (they'll try to push everyone to the buffet, but sometimes one of the regular dining rooms is open and we can enjoy a quiet sit-down lunch!). After lunch we stake out the "best spot" for sail-away, and find a cold drink, well into vacation mode! :)

As for VIP status...well, that's for VIP's..the folks who have reserved the expensive high-end cabins, or who have cruised on a particular line multiple times. We're never in either category! :D

I tend to be one of those nervious "I might miss the boat" types so I try to get on fairly early. This next trip I'm going to arrive at the port around noon for a 4 pm sailing. Seems like once we get onboard, unpack, explore the ship, do the lifeboat drill, it's time to depart and start enjoying the cruise.

John

If your cruise departs at 4, you have to be on board by 2:30 as there are rules for boarding that you must be checked in 90 minutes before departure. On many lines, there are so many VIP's that the lines for that check in are as long as all the others. I've found if you board after 12 noon, the lines are a bit shorter.

Archived