Drinking water in Mexico

tink24

We are doing the MR in August and I was curious to know if anyone has gotten sick from eating/drinking in the ports. I know to drink bottled water, but what about drinks with ice served in bars and restaurants? I rarely see complaints about it posted here so I was wondering if it is still the problem that it used to be.

We are doing the MR in August and I was curious to know if anyone has gotten sick from eating/drinking in the ports. I know to drink bottled water, but what about drinks with ice served in bars and restaurants? I rarely see complaints about it posted here so I was wondering if it is still the problem that it used to be.

They use bagged ice for drinks...:)

Even Mexicans do not drink their own water unless it's treated.

One thing I did learn (the hard way) after staying a week in Mexico is this: If you are on a prescription drug (such as Nexium) for acid reflux, that drug will make you less resistant to any intestinal bacterias. Keep that in mind if you use any type of Rx acid-reflux drug.

I wouldn't count on the bagged ice. I would not drink a drink with ice in it. I am not thinking that everyone of the restaurants comply with the bagged ice. I would rather drink a warm soda then be horribly sick for the rest of my trip.

Have been to Cozumel about 6x and silly me never thought to notice the ice in our frozen drinks.

Never did get sick but next time will ask about where the ice c omes from as I would never drink tap water in Cozumel.

Any restaurant that caters to tourists will buy or produce their own pure water, anyone with a GI issue would put such an establishment out of business very quickly so they are very careful. If you go inland, away from the tourist destinations, you would want to avoid unfiltered or treated water and vegi's what are washed in same.

Haven't had a problem but met people who did. But I do not buy drinks with ice. Or even eat salads and such in port. Salads are washed in water. It is not worth the risk to me personally.

My first port stop in Cozumel was in 1990, and the CD actually warned us all NOT to drink the water or get ice in drinks. The exception, he told us, was drinking alcoholic beverages with ice in them; he said the alcohol killed any bugs from the ice.

I made the mistake of believing him and had a drink in port! For the next 2 days, Montezuma took revenge. I got the last package of Pepto Bismol packages the ship had in stock, but it didn't do much good.

By the next time I was there, some years later, we learned that all water used for tourists in any capacity was purified. It must be true, because having a drink in port had no adverse affect on us. Be aware this was in Cozumel; I can't speak for the rest of Mexico.

I found this statement about Coz's water on this site:

"Welcome to sunny Mexico, land of the magic margaritas and bottled water! Our island of Cozumel is one of the safest places on earth! Not only do we boast about our almost non-existent crime rate but we also claim fame for making sure that our visitors are served only purified water and ice and that all produce and meats are prepared properly.

Please be aware that any place you go in Cozumel will be serving purified ice in your drinks and only bottled water at your table. All dishes are prepared and all veggies are cleaned with purified water."

We have made several trips driving into Mexico (most border towns, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo), cruised the MX Riviera, flew into Acapulco & Cancun. We have both been sick twice but never from a drink with ice or water. There are three pieces of advice we give to everyone going to Mexico.

1. Ask if the water and/or ice is purified. The person serving you will usually tell you if you shouldn't drink the water or ice before you even have a chance to ask the question, but always ask. FYI: purified ice is shaped like it is made by a machine, unpurified looks like block ice.

2. If you do get sick buy Imodium from a MX pharmacy. It looks the same as what you buy in the US and the same active ingredients are listed, but it is very different. The MX version will stop Montezumas within a few hours... American will not.

3. You are most likely to get sick when you buy a beer or other bottled/canned drink because they normally use unpurified ice to cool the drinks. Always ask for a piece of lime and run it around the mouth of the bottle/can before you drink.

Apparently we have the bacteria in our systems now because our last visit was a month in Acapulco in Jan and we were able to eat food from street vendors with no problem. :)

I have noticed that the only people I see buying bottled water at the local Walmart are hispanic, and they buy it by the huge water cooler sized bottle. Old habits, eh?

Years ago, we saw a humorous sight in Mazatlan- we saw a truck pull up in front of a resterant that had "Puro Hielo" (Pure Ice) written on the side. The delivery guy went to the back , pulled out a large block and let it fall to the ground. He then put tongs on it and dragged it in the GUTTER (!), then over the curb and into the resterant!

In February when we went to Progreso and Cozumel, I have to admit that I totally forgot about the water thing. We ate and drank .... mostly margaritas, and the kids had juice. Two of us are are acid-reflux medicine. Nobody got sick at all! I will try to remember to be more careful just in case on our next cruise.

years ago, we saw a humorous sight in mazatlan- we saw a truck pull up in front of a resterant that had "puro hielo" (pure ice) written on the side. The delivery guy went to the back , pulled out a large block and let it fall to the ground. He then put tongs on it and dragged it in the gutter (!), then over the curb and into the resterant!

lol!!!

lol!!!

Same here, it was to funny; I think we were at the Pacifico bar when it happened.

In Cabo this past June, I had several diet sodas with ice with no side effects(we were at CaboWabo) and I would like to think establishments catering to tourists would take precautions but you never know.

My husband and I got h pylori, a water-food borne stomach bacteria a few years ago on a trip to Mexico city. We are more careful now and drink only bottled beer or pop in most 3rd world countries that we visit. I would think though with the number of tourists in Cozumel and the importance of the tourist industry for the local economy that the water would be safe in Cozumel.

I have been going to Mexico for over 45 years and have not gotten sick from eating or drinking anything there in at least the last 20. I eat and drink pretty much everything and make a habit of eating where the locals eat, not the tourist traps.

The 1st time we went to Cozumel we went to Tulum and brought the big bottle of water from the mini-bar, we figured the cost of the ship was better than getting sick. The next time we went to Nachi Cocum and we ate and drank there with no problems.

100_1542.jpg.405955b44f571c0dee7d5a4639c7c72b.jpg

I have noticed that the only people I see buying bottled water at the local Walmart are hispanic, and they buy it by the huge water cooler sized bottle. Old habits, eh?

Years ago, we saw a humorous sight in Mazatlan- we saw a truck pull up in front of a resterant that had "Puro Hielo" (Pure Ice) written on the side. The delivery guy went to the back , pulled out a large block and let it fall to the ground. He then put tongs on it and dragged it in the GUTTER (!), then over the curb and into the resterant!

Guess you did not have dinner there.icon7.gif

I was smart enough to take drink bottled water whine in Mexico but dumb enough to order a drink with ice cubes. Let's just say...I was hugging the toilet bowl spewing brown stuff like something from the exorcist for 3-4 days. Never again...

I have been going to Mexico for over 45 years and have not gotten sick from eating or drinking anything there in at least the last 20. I eat and drink pretty much everything and make a habit of eating where the locals eat, not the tourist traps.

Same here..except for going to Mexico for 45 years (im 37). I try to eat with the locals where I can, and yes, I buy tacos from street carts.

I wonder if I've built an immunity or something after living in Panama for many years. Ive gotten sick once...from a dish on the Pride but nothing from food in port.

I agree to taking precautions if you arent comfortable and ask questions. Ive seen some scary stuff here too in the states.

Not to have to eat or drink anything from Mexico or Belize I planned ahead of time.

In my suit case I pack some sandwich and gallon size zip lock bags and a small collapsible soft sided cooler (holds about 8 cans). On the mornings we were going into port I would order sandwiches from room service (usually just cold cut type or p&b), the sandwiches would come with chips also. I would place the sandwich and chips in the smaller zip lock bags. I would fill the gallon bag with ice and double bag it to prevent leakage. Place ice in bottom of small cooler, place bottled/canned beverage on top of ice, then place sandwiches on top of beverages. All would stay nice and cool until ready to eat. The soft sided cooler I am talking about is small 8 x 10 inches and has a shoulder strap. It's no bigger that a tote bag.

I did this even if lunch was included with a tour. And if you are wondering we always book our tours through the ship, it's just the way we prefer to do things.

We once did the cave tubing tour in Belize that included in the price a stop by a local spot for a buffet lunch. We loved cave tubing but I was so glad we packed our own lunch. The standards for serving food were just not what we are use to. The food was outside with flies landing on it and dogs and other animals just roaming around under the table where the food was being served. The spot was scenic, the people there were very welcoming and happy to have us there but I was just glad I didn't have to eat the food.

We shared picnic tables with the rest of the group on the bus but we just ate the food be brought with us. I worry more about the sanitary conditions than taste.

If you are wondering...... I don't normally pack a lunch when we leave the ship, it just depends on what port we are in.

Haven't had a problem in the Mexican Riviera.

In Rosarito

When the kids were toddlers we convinced them that the fish stand tacos were fish sticks. None of us got sick. It was a well recommended fish stand.

We usually stick to the restaurants in the tourist parts of town.

Archived