First Timer and Alaska

hummer88

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska next June for my parents retirement. It will be their first time cruising. We have narrowed it down to a one way cruise since they would like to spend a few days before and after in Alaska and Vancouver. We would like a balcony and are looking at RCCL Radiance of the Seas and Princesses Island Princess. The cruisers are both in their early sixties, like good food but are not picky, like good entertainemnt shows and are not big drinkers. We are looking to book our own schedule before and after the cruise.

Questions:

Pro's and Cons regarding both ships

Must to do for excursions in Alaska on the cruise

Must to see in the Anchorage area

Better room and deck location for first time cruisers, should they be on one side of the ship (clsoest to land or facing the sea)

Any other Alaska tips.

Thanks so much in advance

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska next June for my parents retirement. It will be their first time cruising. We have narrowed it down to a one way cruise since they would like to spend a few days before and after in Alaska and Vancouver. We would like a balcony and are looking at RCCL Radiance of the Seas and Princesses Island Princess. The cruisers are both in their early sixties, like good food but are not picky, like good entertainemnt shows and are not big drinkers. We are looking to book our own schedule before and after the cruise.

Questions:

Better room and deck location for first time cruisers, should they be on one side of the ship (clsoest to land or facing the sea)

Any other Alaska tips.

We are in the same demographic as your parents and have booked the Island Princess Vancouver to Whittier May 23, 2012. I know nothing of the other ship. We chose the IP because of it's itinerary, dates of sailing, and smaller size yet spacious. We have splurged on a mini-suite (towards the aft on the Dolphin deck) with covered balcony on the starboard side. Food seems to get reasonable reviews. Some where on CC is a sample menu.

We will spend 3 nights each in Vancouver (with cousins) and also near Anchorage. I chose to stay at the Alyeska Resort at Girdwood, instead of in Anchorage, as we want to take some light hikes and then at the Hatcher Pass B+B near Palmer to also visit distant cousins. The cost of a one-way car rental is extremely expensive from Whittier cruise terminal so we plan to take the Princess transfer to Anchorage airport and pick up a car from there. (We got a great rate from Alamo.) This allows us freedom to go where we wish.

You will get many opinions on how to spend the time you have. This is where your parents need to follow their hearts and know their limitations.

Questions:

Any other Alaska tips.

Can not help you with the ships, since we have cruised Alaska 5 times.....once on the Diamond Princess and 4 times with Holland America. It is a must to have a balcony on Alaskan cruises....if you can spring for one. To be able to go out on it 24/7 is such a treat. Vancouver is an awesome port to sail from or come back to post cruise. So much to do there. Beautiful.

Must do excursions: Juneau: whale watching either via the ship or with an independent on boats that carry fewer passengers.

Ketchikan....Lumberjack show in town. Floatplane trip to Misty Fijords, or to Anan Creek to watch the brown and black bears feed on salmon;

Skagway.....The White Pass train that traces the steps of the gold miners during the Alaskan Gold Rush, or rent a car and drive to the Yukon on the South Klondike Hwy.

Sitka....independent or ship tours of the area via boats. 4X4 wildlife tour.

Pull up each of your ships and look at the shore excursions offered and ask your folks what their preferences are. On the Alaska site you can find anything and everything about that awesome state.

Cabin location.....lower decks, mid ship if they might have any motion sickness. Depending on if you are choosing N. or S. bound trips, you can choose your "side of the ship."

Good luck in your planning. You are certainly on the right site. gg

One way is the best, departures from Vancouver are better than from Seattle.

As to best line, IMO HAL and Princess are the two to consider as they have the most sailings to Glacier Bay. You REALLY want to make sure your parents get Glacier Bay!

Balcony is a nice perk, IMHO doesn't really matter too much, if you have a preference I'd say starboard for north bound and port for southbound.

Happy planning

Questions:

Any other Alaska tips.

Archived