LIVE FROM Eclipse with video and photographs

Jo and Rob

CelebrityEclipsebanner-L.jpg

First let me respond to your posts.

TLCOhio in order to create the animation we used Google Earth and a 3D animation of the ship. The second post was done before breakfast so we didn’t have time to film anything! There is no talking or English accents this time I’m afraid as it is a mini video of some of the ship and the children were desperate to go to kids’ club so just Rob and me this time.

U2Cruiser you will be pleased to know that I did indeed enjoy egg Benedict for breakfast in the MDR this morning so I’m happy.

LoveBeagles we are in a 2B balcony cabin and will give a cabin tour soon with more detail.

UKTog, I know what you are saying about us switching tables but as I spoke to the Maitre D who did the switching at the same time I was surprised the message didn’t get through.

Thank you everyone for all your lovely comments. It is great to know that people appreciate our posts so we will try and keep them coming. Click here for the latest video.

This morning started with room service ordered with a tag on the door. We thought it was excellent that they ring you to say they are on their way and then about 30 seconds later you have a knock at the door. Just enough time to ensure there is a space to land for the tray and get out of bed to open the door. The order was correct (tea, coffee and Danish) and the coffee stayed hot for ages in the coffee pot which was great as I do like a refill!

We posted our second post (with pictures not video) before heading to breakfast. The children were eager to get to club and we in turn headed to our Connections Party in Cellar Masters on deck 4. It was great to see everyone again and there were several key personnel from Celebrity. I saw a youtube video of a Connections party before and it looked very boring but this was very animated so don’t be put off. No endless introductions, just informal chatter and an amusing welcome from the cruise director.

Jo’s tip 13 – Make sure you attend the Connections Party as this may open possibilities for bridge tours etc. We got our cabin number written down in a little book so I will let you know how we got on.

From the Connections Party we headed up to the Lawn club on deck 15 for a croquet competition. The winner got a medal in the shape of an X and Rob now wants one so no doubt we will enter some more competitions during our cruise! It was great fun and now we know the rules we will be able to play croquet with the children (if they can spare us some time from their busy Fun Factory schedule!).

We picked the children up at 11.50am and took them to the buffet for lunch as they had opted for that rather than the MDR with us. We asked again in the buffet about the icecream and asked to speak to the Maitre D this time. He said, after checking on the phone, that no icecream onboard contains egg (unlike the buffet information yesterday) so Emily is delighted, especially as there are all sorts of smarties, jelly sweets and sprinkles that can be added. The children then went back to club and we then headed to the MDR for lunch.

Jo’s tip 14 – The MDR is not open for lunch on port days so make sure you take advantage on sea days.

Our lunch was absolutely delicious. We had chicken and beef satay, BBQ chicken with couscous (although it looked like buckwheat) and spinach followed by pear tart. It was fantastic and a table for two by the window no less. Lunch was served on deck 4 while they were setting up a wine tasting on deck 3 (see video).

Our first impressions of the ship are very positive. Although there isn’t one central “wow factor” location on Eclipse such as the Atrium that is on the Crown Princess and Oceana, it is very light and spacious. It has been a damp sea day so you would expect there to be loads of people milling around but it was quite the opposite and so quiet you would have thought that half the passengers were in port! We enjoyed a very mellow sea day today which was exactly what we needed to charge the batteries.

This afternoon I went to the “Taste of Eclipse” in the Grand Foyer on deck 3 which was the speciality restaurants showcasing some of their dishes. It was quite entertaining especially the bit where we were able to taste the dishes!

From there we went for a wander to explore the ship some more and had a look in the spa. I found a couple of taster sheets which I’ve signed up for so I’ll let you know how I get on later.

Jo’s tip 15 – Check out the spa even if you don’t intend to book a treatment as there may be some freebies that you could be interested in.

The children both came back from club with Celebrity lanyards which all the children won at the bingo. We then got ready for our first formal night. I was surprised that the photographers were not taking pictures before first sitting as this would have been the ideal time for us. By the time we came out of dinner, the queues were huge so we headed for the Ovations show and after the show the children were tired so for the first time we didn’t have our picture taken on our first formal night which was a shame.

The food for the first formal night lived up to expectations. We had a slight hiccup as despite ordering a full meal for Emily with the assistant waiter, the first thing that arrived was her main course! It was taken away and we had no problems after that. Oliver ordered, tried and enjoyed frogs’ legs for the first time, although Emily couldn’t have them as they have egg in. I had a chat with the Maitre D who was very helpful and he said they will do frogs’ legs especially for Emily tomorrow which is great.

Tonight I had beef Carpaccio (delicious), fish soup (full of prawns and scallops), rack of lamb with mustard crust (so succulent it cut like butter) and then apple tarte tatin (one of my favourites). Rob enjoyed the French onion soup on the anytime menu, Oliver lapped up the vegetable and vermicelli consommé and Emily had a fruit cocktail. Emily then had her egg free pasta and meatballs and Oliver ordered roast chicken off the children’s menu.

The show tonight was very good. The lead female singer is the weakest (but improved as the show went on) and the dancers and other singers are extremely good. The A Capella male group sang again and got a very warm reception.

Jo’s tip 16 – Make sure you go to the show on the first formal night as there is a complementary glass of champagne or orange juice and a chocolate for every guest.

TLCOhio in order to create the animation we used Google Earth and a 3D animation of the ship. The second post was done before breakfast so we didn’t have time to film anything! There is no talking or English accents this time I’m afraid as it is a mini video of some of the ship and the children were desperate to go to kids’ club so just Rob and me this time.

Appreciate the added background info on your "how-to" secrets. Are you shooting your video with a tripod? Really glad to get my "video fix" taken care of, temporarily, with this posting. I really loved the wonderful segment with the music playing and the glass elevator ride going up and up. That is a great video shot that brings back nice memories from our last month's trip on the Solstice in the Med. Different ships, but same nice look and style.

I can understand your "time pressures" in putting these things together, doing the postings, plus enjoying your cruise. It's lots of work!! I did a live/blog posting with lots of still photos and it takes serious time to do it well . . . as you have skillfully done. BRAVO!!!! More, more . . . keep up the good work.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 25,451 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I was on the Eclipse in May for a Med cruise. I took a couple of books with me but didn't have time to read either of them as there was just too much to do. The onboard lecture series was great and I think I went to every single lecture. I can't imagine how you find the time to make these posts but I'm sure glad you are doing so as it's bringing back wonderful memories. Keep up the great work !

We are enjoying your posts very much. Thanks for sharing your days with us.

I am impressed with your video skills/creativity.

Last year on The Equinox, we had a table mate with a horrible allergy to garlic. Each evening, after our meal, she would go through the next night's menu with the maitre'd and then order her entire meal for the next night.

It worked very well for her.

I am really enjoying your reviews and videos/pictures. Can't wait to see more! We were on our first ever cruise in Jan. on Eclipse and can't wait to go again. We wish we could go on Eclipse again b/c we LOVED Qsine, but we will be sailing Equinox b/c of the itinerary.

Enjoy every minute of your cruise, and thanks for sharing it with all of us who are wishing we were there, too.

CelebrityEclipsebanner-L.jpg

Live from Celebrity Eclipse – Day 3 Second Sea Day

To see our latest Day 3 video please click the link below

Terry thanks for your kind comments and to answer your question, no we are not using a big tripod and most of the shots are hand held. Rob does have a mini table top tripod which we use for family shots.

Internet use onboard

The ship has Wi-Fi throughout so you can go online in any public area or in your cabin. Last night we had some issues trying to log on. For some reason we couldn’t get onto the guest Wi-Fi and instead the crew log in appeared. We called guest services (about 10.15pm) and we had an IT guy arrive at our cabin within 5 minutes! He was in our cabin for about 30 minutes trying to sort the problem out and finally got us back on the passenger log in. At one point the crew wi-fi rate came up at $0.19 a minute (but we couldn’t access it).

Unfortunately this morning we had exactly the same problem with Rob’s Mac although we could log on with my PC! It makes a change for my PC to beat Rob’s Mac! Rob went to the iLounge this morning and fortunately they were able to sort the problem in minutes. We bought the $99.95 package on the first day which was for 208 minutes ($0.48 rate/min). If you go over your minutes you will be charged the same rate as your package.

Jo’s tip 17 – Make sure if you want a package you buy it on the first day as you get an extra 15% of minutes free!

The cheapest package (and worst value) is $24.95 for 38 minutes which is $0.65 per min and the most expensive (and best value) is $399.95 for 1666 minutes which is $0.24 per minute. The standard charge is $0.75 per minute so it is certainly worth considering a package. There are additional packages available but that gives you an idea.

I went to the photographers this morning to find out why they were not doing formal shots before dinner. Apparently they were there at 5.30pm but then left to do pictures in the main dining room so that is why the stations were unmanned. He also said that most of the tables were empty initially in the MDR (probably because like us passengers were looking for full length portraits!) I think Celebrity is missing a trick here. Why on earth would you abandon your studio lights, backdrop and the opportunity of a full length shot of formal gowns and tuxedoes for a head shot at a table? Surely they sell more of the formal full length photos?

Jo’s tip18 – If you are first sitting and want your photograph make sure you go at 5.30pm as unlike other lines they abandon their posts and like us you may be disappointed.

Rob won the croquet competition today!!! He managed to beat some very competitive Australians who were regular croquet players but couldn’t decide whether their loss was due to the bumpy grass, the tilting ship, the oversized hoops or the Egyptian rules. We had to laugh! Rob is now the proud owner of a gold Celebrity X medal and a pack of cards (and I got a Celebrity pen).

This morning we also enjoyed a tour of the MDR galley (advertised in Celebrity Today schedule) which is highly recommended. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and issued a group number for the tour. Each group was about 25 passengers. There were 200 passengers who wanted to do the tour and everyone was welcome. They ran two tours consecutively on deck 3 and 4 and the waiting passengers were entertained with the chefs doing a question and answer session.

Jo’s tip 19 – Arrive earlier than the recommended time so you don’t have to wait too long for a galley tour. We were about 15 minutes early and lucky enough to be in the first group.

I had a free a medi-spa consultation (which turns out to be injections in the face so I didn’t hang around long for that one!) a free acupuncture consultation and a taster massage in the Aqua Spa today. The taster massage included hot stones and a wooden pole which was surprisingly therapeutic so I think I will be experimenting with my rolling pin when I get home! (I hope Rob was taking notes)

1 First formal night in the MDR

EclipseDay209-L.jpg

2 Lamb with a mustard crust

EclipseDay208-L.jpg

3 Taste of Eclipse cooking demonstration

EclipseDay211-L.jpg

4 Ribeye Tuscan grill from Taste of Eclipse

EclipseDay210-L.jpg

5 Creme Brulee from the Tuscan Grill

EclipseDay215-L.jpg

Great vids. Brings back lots of memories from when we were on the Eclipse last year. I see you discovered the ice topped martini bar. My favourite trick was to leave small footprints in the ice (by using the side of a clenched fist for the 'sole' and putting toe dots with your fingers!). If I may add a Jo tip (if it works!), on the galley tour, be the last one in the tour and look like you can't hear. With a bit of luck a nice chef will take you by the arm and give you a 1 to 1 tour. This happened with my wife and she came out of the galley about 3 groups after me, so she saw everything!! Keep up the good work and hope the weather stays fine. (Its cloudy in the UK today, but a very sticky 27C!)

Simon

Just wanted to join everyone else in thanking you for these wonderful posts & video!! These would be fantastic if you were only able to post them after your cruise. But I am so impressed with the quality that you've got, and even more so when I realize that you're posting these while you're on the cruise! Wow!!

We are on Eclipse soon and I am enjoying getting my fix day by day from yourselves,

I see your next 2 cruises are P&O, so far what are your thoughts comparing the 2 companies, we have 3 cruises booked with P&O we booked on the itinary

Skovgaard

This is fabulous thus far and I look forward to the remaining days of your trip. I have done a semi live review (meaning after I was home but kept a daily journal) and have yet to get the courage or commitment to go live so I really appreciate the efforts you are making on YOUR vacation to keep us a part of it.

I am very curious as to how you have perfected the animations on google earth? How do you do this and where did you find the 3d simulation of the ship. So much I need to learn...Thanks again for taking the time to do this and take us all along!

Terry, thanks for your kind comments and to answer your question, no we are not using a big tripod and most of the shots are hand held. Rob does have a mini table top tripod which we use for family shots. The ship has Wi-Fi throughout so you can go online in any public area or in your cabin. Last night we had some issues trying to log on. For some reason we couldn’t get onto the guest Wi-Fi and instead the crew log in appeared. We called guest services (about 10.15pm) and we had an IT guy arrive at our cabin within 5 minutes! Unfortunately this morning we had exactly the same problem with Rob’s Mac although we could log on with my PC!

Appreciate your follow-up and answering my tripod question. YES! You are doing very well with your video camera without a tripod. I do lots of still photography and very, very seldom take or use a tripod. Doing video without a tripod, if you want it to look good, is much more challenging. Great camera work!!!

From June on the Solstice, we had the same types of wireless problems you have battled. It's not just you. The staff tries and works hard, but there are some issues in getting connection at various times and/or in certain parts of the ship. Keep up the great work. Look forward to getting my "video fix" tomorrow and Wednesday, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 25,730 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you very much for your notes, pictures and videos. That is a travel video that you can be proud to show your friends and relatives.

I'm cruising on Eclipse in November so I really appreciate your review and your tips. Plus, my mouth starts watering when I see the pictures of the food.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

The children steal the show for sure!

Thank you so much for sharing your family and trip...looking forward to more AND if we ever cruise together...the first round is on us!;)

Thank you so much for the video and posts, we cruise on Eclipse end of August and I'm counting down the days now. Your video's are just making me even more eager for it to come round. Can you tell me if there is any sort of cinema / film's being shown and if so what they are? Are they recent releases? Keep up the fantastic work - but most of all, enjoy yours selves!