LIVE FROM Eclipse with video and photographs

Jo and Rob

Thanks so much for the gym pictures. Looks like one of the nicest ones I've seen on a cruise ship! By the way, do you know if they allow you to bring your own cans of soda on board? If not, do you know how much they charge per can? I saw that you are allowed 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

Thank you for sharing your cruise in such detail. It is fabulous! I just booked the Eclipse for December, my first time on X, and your pictures and video are quite exciting. We have shellfish allergies, so your advice and experience is very helpful. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for posting this, you are doing an amazing job.

I hope you are continue to enjoy your holiday, I am back on the Eclipse in 5 weeks time and this is really getting me in the holiday mood.

Many thanks

Great vids etc as ever. I agree with dzcruisers...if you haven't complained about your excursion, do it sooner rather than later. Cruise lines don't know how good or bad tours are unless someone tells them. In Jamaica a few years ago we complained about the appalling standard of the coach driver (my wife and I are both professional drivers) and the attitude of the guide. I think they took note, and even better, we got half the tour cost back. Unlike our American cousins, I don't think us Brits complain enough!!:D

Simon

[/size]e"]

Hi Jo and Rob,

Firstly, thank you very much for the information I requested about the Video Editing Software. I am currently researching the Adobe product which is looking like the way for me to go:)

Your video blogs and photos continue to be excellent and are the first thing we look at when we log-on each day. The cabin video was very useful and I now know what plug adaptors I need to take with us next year:)

As a modest video techie I know the amount of work that is needed to produce the wonderful reports you send us, please keep up the great work - it really is very much appreciated when it reaches our screens:)

All the best for now,

Peter:D

Hi Jo, I agree with Diane and Simon about speaking with Shore Excursions.

They need to know what happened so please go see them. Definitely

go sooner rather than later.

CelebrityEclipsebanner-L.jpg

Day 7 – Livorno, Italy (Pisa)

To see our latest day 7 video please click the link below

Dzcruisers, Simon and Lois R, I did go down to the excursion desk last night and let them know the main concerns about the trip.

Kittykate, we have a 3 litre box of wine in the fridge from our local supermarket. It was in one of our bags at luggage drop off so we didn’t have to lug it around before the cabins were ready. The “rules” you mention don’t state the size of the bottles so some people bring on extra large ones.

Jackjeg, you can bring soda and water on no problem just put a luggage label on it.

What a fantastic day!!!!

We booked Panoramic Pisa LVB6 and it was so good I think it may make Livorno my favourite port of call. The coach took us to the San Rossore National Reserve where we transferred to a trolley train which took us into the Field of Miracles which is the main square in Pisa. We were shown into a cafe / shop for a 10-15 minute stop where everyone was given a complementary drink (wine, beer or soft drinks) with a small plates of pretzel snacks and free use of the toilet facilities plus 20% discount in the gift shop (no hard sell or time to buy though too busy enjoying the wine!)

From there we had a guided tour of exteriors of the main sights namely the Cathedral, Baptistery and of course the Leaning Tower. We had about an hour free time at Pisa and we enjoyed wandering round and taking in the view. The sights were stunning, gleaming white marble in the summer sun, it was all quite breath taking. From there we re-boarded the trolley train which took us down to the river Arno for a boat trip back to the National Reserve. The trip included a complementary ice cream and more toilets were available if needed. Having been so hot in the Field of Miracles we were instantly cooled and refreshed on the boat trip as we passed under bridges and enjoyed the gentle breeze. The trolley train and the boat tour were both exclusively for us (sticker 26) and we had an interesting commentary throughout every stage of the trip.

It was such a great excursion and I would thoroughly recommend it to everyone. I was aware that we have a really long day tomorrow in Rome and was looking for something a little different and this really ticked all the boxes. Anyone with mobility issues would definitely be able to enjoy this tour and it was perfect for families and couples alike.

Jo’s tip 31 – If you want to go into the Cathedral or baptistery you need to buy a ticket at the ticket office first (combination ticket is a lot cheaper)

Jo’s tip 32 – Leaning Tower of Pisa only allows 45 people for 20 minutes so don’t try and combine climbing the tower with this trip. (Price 15 euros for age 9 and above)

We headed straight to the cabin to change and then it was lunch on deck at the Mast Grill and an afternoon by the pool to lap up the sun. The Mast Grill was excellent again with really quick service and no long queues.

I am absolutely loving my non-alcoholic premium package! I discovered dragon fruit vitamin water today which made a pleasant change to Evian so I’ve already got some more to get the supplies in for tomorrow’s trip! I was chatting to a lady by the pool today who was on the soda package and she was finding it very repetitive and was amazed when she saw me ordering frozen mocktails, zero proof cocktails and appearing from Cafe Al Baccio with a chocolate Iglu all included in my package. She was so impressed she is going to try and upgrade hers tomorrow as she didn’t realise the premium N/A package existed.

Jo’s tip 33 – Make sure you check out all the drinks packages available to make sure you know exactly what is on offer.

1 One of the fountains in Aix-En-Provence

EclipseDay745-L.jpg

2 The leaning tower of Pisa

EclipseDay741-L.jpg

3 Jo pushing the leaning tower back up

EclipseDay743-L.jpg

4 Filet Mignon

EclipseDay742-L.jpg

5 Spinach and Ricotta in Puff pastry

EclipseDay746-L.jpg

I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your posts and hearing/seeing all about your cruise. We are on this one next spring, so it is making us very excited! You have such a beautiful family. Thank you for taking the time to share your adventures and tips with us - it is very much appreciated!!

Having done what seems like the same itinerary in May I feel as though I have just returned for a second visit. OK Rob, so you're not sponsored by Celebrity, but I'm guessing you must be in the cinematic videographic field of work, right ? How else can you be producing such mind blowingly beautiful and well crafted videos, and uploading them from your cabin no less !

What stills camera do you use ? I want one. Your photos make mine look like they are taken with one of those free kodak give away cameras you get at wedding receptions.

Just waiting for the answer to the question that is on everyone's lips......Is Celebrity better than P&O?

Interested to hear what Jo & Rob say, but imo I prefer X although they are both good. X ships are more stylish and they seem to be more competitively priced for the cruising. P&O cater better for the English market, they have silver service not plated food, their shows are way better and there is more interactive passenger activity if that is what you want. Also their drinks are a lot cheaper. I think the cabins onboard the Solstice class ships are better than P&O's and the buffet area is much better. X's demographic tends to be older, although I'm sure school holidays in th Med will see a fair proportion of kids. As I said, there's good in both, but my view is that X has the edge.

Continue to love your fun and interesting videos, pictures and reports. Excellent!!!

1. The way in which the various shots of fountains were tied together and edited for your visit to Aix-en-Provence was great, especially having the music in the background. Then, you saw him playing, etc., on his accordion. Wonderful and very charming as to how this was all tied together with the music. Does your husband do this professionally?

2. Having been in Pisa on June 9 for our Solstice cruise, it was nice to see the Leaning Tower on your video, bringing back good memories. The good fortune on our visit and now yours is that they just got done completely cleaning the tower earlier in the past few months. That's why it looks so super good. And, the tower is 155' tall!! Fairly high. Pictures don't give us a true idea for its height and how much it leans.

3. Sorry your one ship tour guide was too "average". That does happen with ship tour. Ideally, private tours are smaller, more personal and having staff better motivated to do a great, above average job. Excellent tour guide with with some excitement and love for their areas makes a positive difference.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 26,774 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Jo, I'm really enjoying tuning into your daily digest. I'm not a detail person and there is just the right amount of info. You sound like you are all having a wonderful trip and your kids are great:) What an experience for them. Tell them there are lots of people looking in on your trip.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

As I said, there's good in both, but my view is that X has the edge.

P&O v Celebrity.

We shared a table with a T.A from USA on Galaxy (Transatlantic in 2005)

She maintained that Celebrity charged 4* prices, but that the food was 5*+

IMO P&O charge more initially, but then drinks are nearer to pub prices in UK.

Celebrity have hiked their bar prices ( I think for the Solstice Class ships) We were apalled at the prices charged for a bottle of wine (in Oct 2010 cheapest was $35, which soon ran out ,so next cheapest was $75) We did not drink alcohol on board, as a protest.

Jo,

I will look into the non-alcoholic premium package on Century ( we are on the Hawaii to Ensenda next March)

However I do love Celebrity, despite this.

Edited by upwarduk

Hi Jo and Rob we look forward to seeing your video and tips each day, just wondering if you had tried the smoothies on your package yet, reading some of the comments on the forum they are saying that they do not taste very good. pete and jo

P&O v Celebrity.

We shared a table with a T.A from USA on Galaxy (Transatlantic in 2005)

She maintained that Celebrity charged 4* prices, but that the food was 5*+

IMO P&O charge more initially, but then drinks are nearer to pub prices in UK.

Celebrity have hiked their bar prices ( I think for the Solstice Class ships) We were apalled at the prices charged for a bottle of wine (in Oct 2010 cheapest was $35, which soon ran out ,so next cheapest was $75) We did not drink alcohol on board, as a protest.

Jo,

I will look into the non-alcoholic premium package on Century ( we are on the Hawaii to Ensenda next March)

However I do love Celebrity, despite this.

I agree that the drinks prices on X are very high. I am not a big wine drinker so was only drinking wine by the glass which was around $9 which I suppose equates to around $45 per bottle.

I dont agree that the food in the MDR is 5*+. More like 3 or 4* at best. All that mashed potato and pasta with everything is not my idea of a 5* culinery delight. Nevertheless, for the price the food is acceptable, just not as good or as well presented as on P&O which is silver service.