Doesn't Really Matter but can you Explain???

sail7seas

Hay, "2" -

Oh yes, and then there are the stewarts who serve in the dinning room and keep our rooms neat.

Just for your info, from a seasoned cruiser, the dinning room stewarts are NOT the same stewarts who keep our cabbins (not rooms) neat. So there.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. I am dislexic (spell) and can't spell therefore I use accronems/abrevations so I don't have to worry about how to spell. Of course typing in Word or someother system I give the spell checker a work out.

:o

I also agree with others about using the abreveations giving a fealing of familuarity.

hcc

Some of us like our special Screen names on the boards. For instance the name HIMSELF says alot about me being very, very Irish.

I was actually wondering about the orgination of your screen name. Would you mind explaining a bit more? Thanks!

It's technology that has spawned all these abbreviations and nicknames people use.

Think about what we use on this board: pax, IMHO, DH, LOL, ROTFLOL.

They're time savers.

It's much easier for me to type LOL than to type "laugh out loud."

Not only is it a time saver: it's a code. Cetainly LOL tacked on to the end of a post does not give the same feeling as writing out the words.

It took me some time to figure out DH and other "shortcuts" used on the CC board.

Oh, did I say CC? LOL

The ships have long names too, and I would much rather type Zui than Zuiderdam. In speaking, however, I always refer to her as the Zuiderdam.

I see no difference in referring to our fellow posters as CCers, or our favorite ships by a nickname.

As far as people's grammatical/spelling skills, or lack thereof, I believe that is addressed in one of the "rules of the board" posting.

We are asked to be tolerant.

I spend a lot of my work week editing copy. A lot of errors jump out at me here [except for my own, of course!] but they don't bother me.

What does bother me, however, is the tone of a few of the posters. A lot is revealed in the way people write. Some are clever, witty, etc. Others are very warm and friendly. And still others are harsh and critical.

I don't care if people use nicknames or abbreviations, but I do not enjoy reading posts that are mean-spirited. :(

The ships have long names too, and I would much rather type Zui than Zuiderdam. In speaking, however, I always refer to her as the Zuiderdam.

There is the difference. When writing, it is one thing to type Zui as an ABBREVIATION......

In my opinion, it is entirely different to type "Zuidy". Maybe I am the only one who sees a distinction and would bother to comment about it. Oh well......I always have had my own mind and don't mind expressing my thoughts. :)

There is the difference. When writing, it is one thing to type Zui as an ABBREVIATION......

In my opinion, it is entirely different to type "Zuidy". Maybe I am the only one who sees a distinction and would bother to comment about it. Oh well......I always have had my own mind and don't mind expressing my thoughts. :)

Here's a shock for everyone: I agree with you 100%:D ... as if that every happens. I see no harm in abbreviating these long ship names when typing them here. But in speaking I would never even say "Zui", let alone"Zuidy". It seems we shorten everything to save time and end up wasting many beautiful names and words.

But I'm one of those very old school, probably frowned upon, people who feels we have mutiliated the English language and, in fact, often don't even use most of it;) .

But that is really a great conversation for another day, don't you think? ... perhaps in the Ocean Bar over a drink, Sail? (Oops! ... just realized I always call you Sail for short ... yikes!!!:o )

Yes, the full name of the ship does mean more characters to type, but so what?

For those of us with FFT (Fat Fingered TYpist) syndrome, the fewer letters to type means fewer typos to correct! The two most frequently used keys on my keyboard are [backspace] and [left arrow]. :)

TedC: And aren't we glad it isn't called the Netherlands-America Line? (or Royal Dutch-America Line, for that matter) :rolleyes:

TomC: for a long time I wondered who Doctor Stewart was who kept taking people's orders in the dining room (NOT!):eek:

For those who get their shorts in a twist over grammar and spelling errors:

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

I have a different question. I have noticed that a number of posters type "alot", for "a lot". Is this an American thing, because as far as I can see Canadians do not type "alot"? :confused:

I looked up "alot" in Webster's Dictionary and they said there is not such word. I see Ocean Wench does not use this term, but uses "a lot", so I am confused.

It seems we shorten everything to save time and end up wasting many beautiful names and words.

But I'm one of those very old school, probably frowned upon, people who feels we have mutiliated the English language and, in fact, often don't even use most of it;) .

What about the use of contractions? You have used "I'm" instead of I am.

And "don't" instead of do not!!!

What about the two-letter postal abbreviations for states? FL instead of Florida ... MA instead of Massachusetts.

What about acronyms -- MADD, SCUBA, FIND [Florida Inland Navigational District ... sorry, I had to throw that one in there]???

Sometimes shortening words is just the evolution of language.

Sometimes it is because of convenience.

And sometimes it is a term of endearment -- a nickname.

So if someone wants to call the Zuiderdam "Zuidy," why should anyone get upset?

I will end here, get in my Bavarian Motor Works automobile, drive down Interstate 95, stop at the automated teller machine, stop for gasoline at the British Petroleum station, then go home.

:) "If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane." --> Jimmy Buffett

[quote name='Esme']I have a different question. I have noticed that a number of posters type "alot", for "a lot". Is this an American thing, because as far as I can see Canadians do not type "alot"? :confused:

I looked up "alot" in Webster's Dictionary and they said there is not such word. I see Ocean Wench does not use this term, but uses "a lot", so I am confused.[/QUOTE]

There is no such word as "alot." It's "a lot."
Some do the same thing with "alright" -- it is two words, "all right."

But we are instructed to overlook others' grammatical and spelling errors on this board ... so let us do that.
;)

[quote name='Oceanwench']What about the use of contractions? You have used "I'm" instead of I am.
And "don't" instead of do not!!!

What about the two-letter postal abbreviations for states? FL instead of Florida ... MA instead of Massachusetts.

What about acronyms -- MADD, SCUBA, FIND [Florida Inland Navigational District ... sorry, I had to throw that one in there]???

Sometimes shortening words is just the evolution of language.
Sometimes it is because of convenience.
And sometimes it is a term of endearment -- a nickname.
So if someone wants to call the Zuiderdam "Zuidy," why should anyone get upset?

I will end here, get in my Bavarian Motor Works automobile, drive down Interstate 95, stop at the automated teller machine, stop for gasoline at the British Petroleum station, then go home.

:) "If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane." --> Jimmy Buffett[/QUOTE]

First ... no one got "upset". A question was asked out of idle curiousity ... nothing more.

Oceanwench, I was basically done with this subject, but your post has me scratching my head in complete confusion!

No one was talking but contractions ... an accepted form of language. And we're not talking about nicknames either. Zuidy and Westy are not common nicknames for these ships. They are used here, but I have never seen them anywhere else.

As to FL and CT, these are unfortunately the abbreviations the Postal Service forced us to use ... I would certainly not choose to. Notice my CC name.

Understand I have absolutely no problem with any of it, couldn't care less if people want to use silly shortened names for ships.

But there is no analogy here between what the OP posted and contractions or nicknames.

Or were you being funny and I missed it?;)

A lot of times on boards I'll see items abbreviated to codes that are used elsewhere online - like Ft. Lauderdale becomes FLL because that's the airport code. On the Disney boards - Port Orleans Riverside becomes POR because that's the 'booking code'. Then, from there it's not a stretch to think Holland America Line - HAL... Zuiderdam - Zui...

IMHO, as long as I can somewhat make out what people are trying to express, I'm happy. ;)

Heather,

Well, in the spirit of speaking one's mind, I felt there was a certain judgment made about those who shorten the names of ships -- or other names/phrases.

If I were to write, "IMHO, FLL is too crowded," and someone replied, "Is it too much trouble to spell those words out, Oceanwench?" I would feel the person was criticizing me. Am I too lazy to type? Am I too negligent of the English language?

Reading through this thread again, I can't say my opinion has changed.
It was implied that those who use nicknames for the ships are too lazy to be bothered to use the proper name.

Reading these boards almost daily, I've learned the jargon -- and I have seen most use IMHO or FLL frequently.
Are they too lazy to write out, "in my humble opinion" or "Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport"???
I don't think so.

So, in the spirit of being forthright and wanting to express an opinion ... I did.

As I said, language evolves, words evolve, contractions happen.
In this world of increased communication by Internet, people are going to resort to using shorthand to send their thoughts.
So be it.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]OP is VERY sorry I asked.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I asked a simple question. Certainly didn't plan on an 'International Incident'. :eek: [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Amazing how a simple question turned into people being absolutely sure the asking was a criticism. No where did I (OP) ever criticize anyone.[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Are you all sure you can say the same?[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]You know....that rule we have here about personal attacks???[/font][/b]

Oceanwench, well ... it's okay not to see eye to eye on this because I don't think it's a right/wrong ... black/white issue.

Maybe we just overkilled it a bit. I understand what you're saying. But also from my own experience reading these boards, I have learned how some people express themselves more directly than others. And, as in friendships, I recognize different people's forms of expression.

In a very convoluted way, I'm saying that I understood Sail's original point and I also understand yours.

Still friends, right?;)

[quote name='Lady Jag'][color=purple][b]Why? For the same reason you use contractions (i.e. - don't, can't, etc.). It's easier![/b][/color][/QUOTE]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]As indicated above, I was not referring to abbreviations such as ZUDM (the abbreviation HAL uses for Zuiderdam). I was referring to re-naming the ship. Zuiderdam to Zuidy. Why is Zuidy EASIER (as you say) to write than ZUDM or even Zui, which is the abbreviation some people use?[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]I think that should clarify what my question meant.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]If don't, please say so and I shall try to make myself more clear.[/font][/b]

Archived