Bermuda question

luvtacruise27

Can someone tell me if "Kings Wharf" where Celebrity Summit docks in Bermuda is the same as "Hamilton "? :confused: DS said she believes it docks on the other side from Hamilton. She thought Kings Wharf was like a naval shipyard. Anyone who can shed some light on this subject it is much appreciated.

thanks,

luvtacruise27

Kings Wharf (Dockyard) was in the past near the prison and was not such a great visitor destination. But for many years now, it has developed into a place where ships dock, there are very nice shops there, some restaurants and a ferry ride across the sound right into Hamilton.

As PeggyAnn stated, it used to be "not so nice"...

Celebrity pulled out of Bermuda for a few years. RCI wanted a larger channel / marina so that her ships could dock in Hamilton, but Bermuda refused to dredge it out. Rather, they spent a great amount of money refurbishing the Dock Yard. It is a nice port with ok shops and good eats (try the Frog and Onion).

If you're taking the 1-week cruise and will be there for three days, make sure you purchase the 3-day ferry pass. The high speed ferry will take you to Hamilton and St. George.

Don't forget the Swizzle Inn and Crystal Caves in St. George! Rum Swizzle and the Dark and Stormy drinks are amazing. ;) Here's a little vid of our trip to Bermuda on the Summit last September, you can get an idea of the Dockyard, Hamilton and St. George. Not super videography, but a good idea...

Hi,:) Summit docks at "The Naval Dockyard"...also known as Kings Wharf

(or vice versa;))

If you want to go to Hamilton you can take the Ferry, bus or a cab.

Can someone tell me if "Kings Wharf" where Celebrity Summit docks in Bermuda is the same as "Hamilton "? :confused: DS said she believes it docks on the other side from Hamilton. She thought Kings Wharf was like a naval shipyard. Anyone who can shed some light on this subject it is much appreciated.

thanks,

luvtacruise27

Here is a picture of the Summit docked at Kings Wharf!:D It is short walk to catch the ferry or bus you can however use the tram car they have available at times. There also is a mall nearby, not the greatest but nice to have so close.

ry%3D400

Kings Wharf is also called Royal Naval Dockyard. It is not the same as Hamilton and will take you around 45 minutes by ferry or cab to get to Hamilton from there.
There is a ferry that can get you into Hamilton in just 20 minutes.:)

I've included a map of Bermuda which should remove any confusion as to where the Dockyard is in relation to Hamilton. King's Wharf is one of the 2 wharves that are located in the Dockyard; the other wharf is Heritage Wharf.

route-map-v2.jpg

Here is a good site that provides info on the Dockyard: http://www.experiencebermuda.com/dockyard/

SBtS

Celebrity pulled out of Bermuda for a few years. RCI wanted a larger channel / marina so that her ships could dock in Hamilton, but Bermuda refused to dredge it out. Rather, they spent a great amount of money refurbishing the Dock Yard. It is a nice port with ok shops and good eats (try the Frog and Onion).

If you're taking the 1-week cruise and will be there for three days, make sure you purchase the 3-day ferry pass. The high speed ferry will take you to Hamilton and St. George.

Don't forget the Swizzle Inn and Crystal Caves in St. George! Rum Swizzle and the Dark and Stormy drinks are amazing. ;) Here's a little vid of our trip to Bermuda on the Summit last September, you can get an idea of the Dockyard, Hamilton and St. George. Not super videography, but a good idea...

Thanks very much, enjoyed seeing all three, dock/St. George and Hamilton.

I've included a map of Bermuda which should remove any confusion as to where the Dockyard is in relation to Hamilton. King's Wharf is one of the 2 wharves that are located in the Dockyard; the other wharf is Heritage Wharf.

route-map-v2.jpg

Here is a good site that provides info on the Dockyard: http://www.experiencebermuda.com/dockyard/

SBtS

SailBad,

Thanks for the map. I now remember that when I docked in Bermuda in the 80's we were on a smaller ship back then (70,000 ton) that was able to dock in Hamilton. Got off ship and walked straight ahead and into a bar went right up some stairs and had "Dark & Stormy's" and "Mother's Milk". Those drinks were great.:D Guess this time we'll be docking across the way at Kings Wharf.

Thanks, again.

marilyn

Here is a picture of the Summit docked at Kings Wharf!:D It is short walk to catch the ferry or bus you can however use the tram car they have available at times. There also is a mall nearby, not the greatest but nice to have so close.

ry%3D400

There is a ferry that can get you into Hamilton in just 20 minutes.:)

Roe,

thanks for the tip, will make sure to take the Ferry.;)

marilyn

Do you know if there is a way to purchase the ferry passes in advance? I noticed on the Bermuda Transportation website, it appears that they sell them in Hamilton, yet we will be docked at Kings Wharf. How do you get on the ferry at Kings Wharf without a pass? :confused:

Please straighten me out. thanks.

marilyn

And for the more adventuresome you can always rent scouters right at Kings Warf! They are not for everyone, as Bermuda roads are narrow and the drivers are so used to the scouters/mopeds that they don't move over for you....

But when we were there I enjoyed them because i could stop at the many small beaches and shops across the island, which you cannot do on the ferry or bus. So even on the last day when a couple family members took the ferry to St George, i rented a scooter and met them there for lunch. They enjoyed the Ferry Ride and I enjoyed the quiet & freedom of the scooter. Each has their place...

There is a ticket booth right next to where the ships dock at King's Wharf, so you can't miss it as you head off the pier. However, lines can be long. A good tip is to bypass this if there are a lot of people. You can also buy tickets and multi-day passes inside the small souvenir shop, right next to the ferry dock and main bus stop---- it's at the very end of the pier and stands alone, before you get to the main buildings. Much easier for us as there were 2 ships just arriving in port that morning!

Transportation passes and tokens can be purchased at the Visitor Information Centres at the Dockyard. There are 3 permenent VICs, one on each wharf and one close to the ferry dock. Sometimes, there is a temporary VIC set up in a trailer where the 2 wharves intersect with the North Arm. See attached Dockyard map:

dockyard-map2.jpg

SBtS

thanks,

luvtacruise27

Yes Kings Wharf is where the summit docks. It is a cultural and historic area. Hamilton is the capital on the other side of the bya where the major shopping,drinking and banking takes place. It bis a 20 minute ferry ride from the Wharf.

Archived