Has anyone walked to the Allure and/or Oasis Terminal because of Traffic Jams @ Port

dsjlcruise

Has anyone ever walked to the Allure and/or Oasis cruise terminal from 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd? (I think it is Terminal 18)

(The reason I am asking is because I have read about nightmare traffic tie ups when the Allure/Oasis is in port. My sister and her family went on the Oasis in June 2011 and said the traffic jams had them sitting in the cab for over 45 minutes just to go about a mile. I think that is such a long time for such a short distance. They also said that after the cruise there was a long line to get a cab to take them to the airport.)

From the map, passenger terminal 18 looks to be between one or at most two miles from the corner of 17th Street and Eisenhower. Is that correct?

We will be going in October and I would like to hear from people who have experienced the traffic jams.

I would also like to hear from people who have walked from 17th Street with only one suitcase.

Thanks.

Some people do just walk in. Oasis is about 1-2 miles from the gate. I've taken over 20 cruises from Fort lauderdale and have never experienced a traffic jam. We usually get to the gate between 11:30 and noon and at most there have been 10 cars in front of us going through security. The security gate also services the Convention Center, so if there is an event the lines might be longer for that.

I've heard of people walking to the Princess terminal from 17th St, but I wouldn't want to walk down to terminal 18 dragging luggage. It's a little shy of a mile and a half from the Renaissance, down Eisenhower, around the bend and into the front of terminal 18. However, I'm not sure where in that terminal you want to be going, as I haven't been to it yet. If the entrance is at the south end of the west side of the building, the above applies. If it's on the north part of the west side, then it's probably a quarter mile shorter.

I have sailed ot of there many times and have never had that long of a wait. Even if there was, I would rather sit in an air conditioned cab than drag luggage all the way just to stand in line again at the terminal.

I'm on vacation! :D

Dave

I've done it several times. Security will check your ID on the way in (use the east side sidewalk). It shouldn't take more than an hour even with luggage. There are sidewalks all the way, although you will have to cross the street twice.

HOWEVER, keep in mind:

a) I travel a lot in Europe and am used to carrying my own luggage through train stations, around European cities, etc;

b) as part of my fitness and nutrition program I walk for an hour a day, so this is my normal exercise for the day- better to pass the time this way than stand in line at the terminal.

Archived