Hawaii Cruise ?s

cruisequeen4ever

It would never have occurred to me in a million years to consider my two week cruise on the Sapphire as a 4-day vacation and compare pricing of my two week cruise to a 4-day land vacation. This is certainly a unique point of view.

I find that cruising is almost always cheaper than a land cruise wherever it may be. Any all inclusive trip (land or sea) generally is less expensive (and easier to book and plan).

It would never have occurred to me in a million years to consider my two week cruise on the Sapphire as a 4-day vacation and compare pricing of my two week cruise to a 4-day land vacation. This is certainly a unique point of view.

I find that cruising is almost always cheaper than a land cruise wherever it may be. Any all inclusive trip (land or sea) generally is less expensive (and easier to book and plan).

I think it depends where you want to go. Take Europe for example, you can cruise the main cities for less than a land trip but as soon as you move outside the main cities, Europe can be dirt cheap. We've rented in Provence and Tuscany for a week at a time for around $1,100 - $1,200... But it gets harder to do Rome and Florence for that amount

That's a nice option and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the OP has already booked the Hawaiian cruise and as many here will attest it is a favorite among lots of cruisers. I think the key is that most view it as more than just a Hawaiian vacation. It is a wonderful, relaxing cruise with an awesome destination. Those who have actually done this cruise will tell you that the Hawaii experience begins the moment you step onboard thanks to the amazing Hawaiian cultural program onboard. The spirit of Aloha follows you to Hawaii and back. And the days in the islands while you are there are full days that allow for some amazing sightseeing and excursions.

We have done a number of land trips to Hawaii and I love the cruise to Hawaii just as much, if not a bit more because the sea days to and from are my time to relax and unwind from the stress of work and everyday life. And we have done this itinerary a number of times, so each time we try a little something different at each port. It is the type of cruise people tend to do more than once because it is just that enjoyable. So that is why variety is great. It might not be your cup of tea, but I bet that the OP will have a wonderful and memorable time.

Exactly!! Half the fun is the ship time to and from Hawaii!

I hate to butt into this discussion by getting back on the topic:D, but we found that Thrifty both picked us up from the pier at Honolulu and delivered us home again. I'd call some of the car rental places there and see if that is still being done.

Exactly!! Half the fun is the ship time to and from Hawaii!

Absolutely! It's a shame your thread was hijacked by those intent on expressing opinions on your choice of how to vacation to Hawaii. I don't recall your post ever asking for anyone's assessment of your cruise selection! Silly me, I just thought you wanted some answers to your questions about the Hawaiian cruise you have booked and are excited to be planning for! ;)

Hopefully we can get your thread back on track. We have done the cruise to Hawaii from L.A. with Princess four times and it is a fantastic cruise and you will have plenty of port time to enjoy the islands as well as wonderful days at sea. There is a reason Princess has increased the number of sailings on this itinerary and that is because people love it and there is a demand for it. You will enjoy it immensely!

Speaking of Hawaiian ??, does anyone know if there are theme nights in the MDR or is it all Hawaiian specialties? I think I read somewhere on the boards there is a tropical night where they encourage theme dressing but I can't find it... Also if anyone has menus from last season sailings that might assist us in choosing what nights we want to book Crown Grill as well as Sabatini's....

For those who have done this cruise over the Decemer holidays, when in port on Christmas will there be things to do, or will everything be closed?

We have done this cruise the last four years at Christmas and all but one of the years we were in port on Christmas day and there are still plenty of things open for tourists as well as tours operating. The car rental agencies are open and we usually rent a car and explore.

Speaking of Hawaiian ??, does anyone know if there are theme nights in the MDR or is it all Hawaiian specialties? I think I read somewhere on the boards there is a tropical night where they encourage theme dressing but I can't find it.Saquote]

We have done this twice before, but on another line. They DID have a theme night, so I am assuming PCL may also.~~~Kmom???

Pat

Speaking of Hawaiian ??, does anyone know if there are theme nights in the MDR or is it all Hawaiian specialties? I think I read somewhere on the boards there is a tropical night where they encourage theme dressing but I can't find it.Saquote]

We have done this twice before, but on another line. They DID have a theme night, so I am assuming PCL may also.~~~Kmom???

Pat

There is one evening where there is a late night tropical deck party and many people wear island wear to dinner that evening, although many wear tropical attire on many evenings of the cruise. In our experience during the four evenings in the islands there are menu items that reflect the Hawaiian islands, but they are scattered among the traditional menu choices so not the entire menu.

Well said. I have done 8-10 land tours of Hawaii and two cruises. My third cruise to the islands is coming up at Christmas and I am so looking forward to it. No flying, plenty of relaxing sea days, and a few days touring the islands. It sounds perfect. I also won't have to host Christmas. Heavenly!

It can be very interesting but not at all relaxing doing some of these two week cruises that involve spending a couple of hundred dollars daily on shore excursions and no sea days (Baltic cruise, Mediterranean cruise, etc.). I loved the Baltic cruise, but we spent about $1500 on shore excursions and came home needing another vacation! I certainly wouldn't want to do that kind of cruise every time because it is so expensive and not relaxing. We have seen so much of Hawaii, we won't spend much on shore excursions.

I would love to sail on the 28 day roundtrip from LA to Tahiti some day soon (that one has 20 sea days! Love it!). I like alternating between an effortless vacation and then a more active one.

There is one evening where there is a late night tropical deck party and many people wear island wear to dinner that evening, although many wear tropical attire on many evenings of the cruise. In our experience during the four evenings in the islands there are menu items that reflect the Hawaiian islands, but they are scattered among the traditional menu choices so not the entire menu.

In agreement about how great the Hawaiian cruise is (also did land stays twice. On our latest one (the same one as Karatemom -- Hi!!!!), there was an Ultimate Deck Party on the Honolulu night, I believe. The band singers led everyone in dancing and there was a big spread of delicious food on the deck (and no waiting to get some). And the tropical-inspired menu items were scattered among the various nights' menus in the MDR. Many Hawaiian-type activities on the sea days, too.

We weren't in port on Christmas on this last cruise (nor on our previous one). I don't think the next holiday one on the Golden will be in port on Christmas either. I suggest checking out the websites for your desired activities for each day anyway. My daughter wanted to go to an astronomy center in Hilo, but according to their website, they are closed that day of the week. Same thing with the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.

We have done several land based vacations in Hawaii and have our second Hawaii cruise booked in a mini suite for 1800. This offer was directly from Princess and I couldn't find a travel agent to beat it. But we would have paid more if we had to because this is our favorite cruise.

Both land based and cruise vacations to Hawaii are good. For us a Hawaii cruise is 3 vacations in one: two wonderful 5 day cruises and one short stay in Hawaii. Also we do not need to forfeit 2 of our vacation days to air travel. DH and I spend enough time on planes for business, it is a joy to vacation without flying.

As the above poster has noted, many who cruise to HI instead of flying there for a land vacation do so for several reasons. One is that the ship is the destination and the port stops are a nice way to see some of the islands. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that it'll be the same as an "immersion" type of Hawaiian vacation. Many enjoy the sea days and if you live near LA, you don't have to drive. I've taken both a 2-week land tour in HI and cruised there several times. They are different experiences but neither is better than the other because it depends on what each person wants to see and do. Ill be returning next year via cruise and I know I'll cruise to HI again and again.

Well said and I agree. We did the 10 night Honolulu-Ensenada back in 2003 on Celebrity Infinity and loved it. We loved it so much that we decided to try the 14 day Golden Princess itin in 2013...already booked. :)

We love the relaxing days at sea and the 4 days on the islands is plenty for us. I am not a golfer, DH would probably not go and golf since I am not. We don't lay out in the sun, nor do we like long car trips. So this option is perfect.

The ship itself is a destination for us. So it is nice that we all have options. Also a cruise could provide enough interest that maybe one would go back for a land based vacation once they see the islands. :) Oh yea, - AND there is no flying either way other than to get to LA. We did the 8 1/2 hours from Dallas once. That is the one thing that has kept me from going across the Atlantic...do not want to be in a plane that long. However, we did Hawaii in First Class and if I can get miles saved for at least Business Class - we may do the Med sometime.

Happy Weekend!

KarateMom2: Since you have already been on this cruise, do you have any tips about excursions you have taken through Princess and/or private companies. Is there plenty of things to do on the ship if you don't go to the pool. We are doing this cruise in April 2012 and like to plan in advance so your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Iris

KarateMom2: Since you have already been on this cruise, do you have any tips about excursions you have taken through Princess and/or private companies. Is there plenty of things to do on the ship if you don't go to the pool. We are doing this cruise in April 2012 and like to plan in advance so your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Iris

I am not KarateMom2 but can tell you what we did on our trip.

Volcano National Park - aweseome! It included a trip to Macadamia Nut Factory

Whale Watching in Maui

Fern Grotto in Kuai

We were in Honolulu early so did the Pearl Harbor tour

Luaua in one stop - it was fun

It is a great cruise. It was cool the days we were at sea and we wrapped up in beach towels and still hung out there. We went in early April 2003.

You will have fun.

We have done the 14 day (well, the first two times it was 15 days) Hawaii cruise 4 times now, and are booked again next spring to celebrate our 45th Anniversary. We usually book a rental car through this site http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/cruiseshipreservation.htm in each port. They have always had a pick up and return to the ship.

In Honolulu, I'm sure I remember Hertz picking up at the dock as well.

Have a wonderful time!

Thanks LisaH: Did you do all Princess tours? Any private tours? Did you find they had a lot of things to do on the ship on sea days? Any tips would be appreciated. Iris

Yes, we did all Princess tours and always do. I know they are more expensive but we are just not that adventurous when it comes to running late and having the ship leaving without us. The tours are great.

:)

In Hilo I would suggest you check out Ricky's Tours (He has a website) His tour takes you to the Volcano National Park, Orchid garden and the Macadamia Nut factory - he used to be a guide at the National Park - is very informative and his price is excellent - suggest you book well ahead.

Like Lisa above, our destination is the ship and the ports are just thrown in for seasoning. We have had several Hawaiian land vacations and one Hawaiian cruise from California. We loved them all, and have booked another Hawaiian cruise for next year.

To O.P., on our cruise, the sea was a bit rocky for about the first day and a half, we rented cars everywhere but Maui, and had a grand time. There is a ship's tour that takes you to the Macadamian Nut Factory, but if you want to just buy nuts, several crew members steered us to the best souvenir and nut shop on the Island..........WALMART!!! :) We went there and saw many familiar faces from our cruise. Prices were good and so was the selection.

There were shuttles at each port to take one to the car rental place, except for Enterprise in Honolulu. We had to call them to come and get us, and it took forever......meantime we noticed shuttles for other companies there, so we will rent from a different company this time.

Have fun and enjoy those wonderful sea days......

We have taken the ziplining tour in Kauai as a ship's excursion. Kauai Backcountry Adventures is the tour operator and they are great. It was one of the best excursions I've ever taken on a cruise and would highly recommend it. We'll be in Kauai on our 28 day cruise in October and I intend to take this excursion a second time.

Archived