The single's experience on Cunard?

Whirled Peas

On one crossing I was with a group that liked to dance every night in the Queens Room. I watched the gentleman hosts, and they consistently asked the younger, prettier women to dance and ignored the older ladies. Not very nice.

Really? I haven't had that experience at all! Last year, my friend and I (we are mid-twenties) were desperately trying to get a host to dance with us and they were very reluctant. We sat in the Queen's Room for well over an hour before my friend finally got up and asked one to dance herself. A few years ago a host also told me that he wouldn't be able to dance with me for a while because the older ladies would complain. Similarly when I did a cruise alone I was never asked to dance. I wish I had been on your cruise! I might have actually got to dance a bit!

Really? I haven't had that experience at all! Last year, my friend and I (we are mid-twenties) were desperately trying to get a host to dance with us and they were very reluctant. We sat in the Queen's Room for well over an hour before my friend finally got up and asked one to dance herself. A few years ago a host also told me that he wouldn't be able to dance with me for a while because the older ladies would complain. Similarly when I did a cruise alone I was never asked to dance. I wish I had been on your cruise! I might have actually got to dance a bit!

Well then, I suppose it must have been a quirk of the hosts on that particular crossing. I'd actually not seen it on other crossings particularly; not that I'm usually paying much attention. I've danced with a few hosts on occasion myself, but usually don't go dancing on my own, or I'll go to G32.

Edited by Leucothea

Well then, I suppose it must have been a quirk of the hosts on that particular crossing. I'd actually not seen it on other crossings particularly; not that I'm usually paying much attention. I've danced with a few hosts on occasion myself, but usually don't go dancing on my own, or I'll go to G32.

I haven't been on the QM2 myself but on the QV the hosts often came into Hemisphere's after the Queen's Room. They did seem to dance with certain ladies more than others. I did wonder if it was because these ladies may have attended the singles get-together and had perhaps met the hosts there so they knew they were enthusiastic dancers. When I was a teenager I attended some dance classes on P&O and they had the young officer cadets there learning to dance and to act as partners in addition to the hosts. I was in my element being a teenage girl and having all these young officers to dance with!

Hi Ratty

As for the Dance hosts, you will need to go to the dance early, sit at a table at the side of the dance floor in order to be noticed by them. Sit any where else and you will not be seen. A host will dance maybe one dance with you in an hour of dancing.there are only 4 on board usually

quote]

Not ALWAYS true we have noticed certain ladies seem to get more than their fair share of the hosts' attention. One lady was hardly ever off the floor on our last trip. (We do like to watch the dancing) I don't know what the rules are for the hosts or even if there are any rules but I expect it helps if they see you can dance a bit and are good company. But like Jimsgirl says, go early and get a seat on the edge of the dance floor for the best chance of a dance. And if you are a gent travelling solo and you can dance at all then there will be partners aplenty for you.

Ratty

I have been accepted as a dance host and have cruised extensively as a single and found cunard to be th ebest for me as a single - mostly because of all the ladies for dancing

I can dance 12 hours per day i fI like

always music and partners willing

big tables a must but the fun is made by you not others

As far as Dance hosts go - they have very strict rules for dress, where they are at a given time and their behaviour

They are not allowed to show favouritism (although they do)

and they are to not do more than one dance at a time with a given lady and are to work as a group to ensure everyone who wants to dance does

If you sit back a little, make yourself known to them and that you wish to dance so they come and get you

Be friendly and compliment them on their dancing (even if horrid) and you will get more dances

I am young but do cunard mostly for the dancing and hence I love to dress up

cheers

Greg:)

Dancingman66

I found your posting interesting, you do admit that the hosts do "pick and choose" , I do not dance these days, but I have noticed that the hosts seem to have a very small circle of dance partners, chosen on the first night, and if a female is not in that group, then she will not be asked to dance .

Any female wishing to dance MUST to sit at a table on the edge of the dance floor,in order to be "noticed" .

Hi Ratty

I have been accepted as a dance host and have cruised extensively as a single and found cunard to be th ebest for me as a single - mostly because of all the ladies for dancing

I can dance 12 hours per day i fI like

always music and partners willing

big tables a must but the fun is made by you not others

As far as Dance hosts go - they have very strict rules for dress, where they are at a given time and their behaviour

They are not allowed to show favouritism (although they do)

and they are to not do more than one dance at a time with a given lady and are to work as a group to ensure everyone who wants to dance does

If you sit back a little, make yourself known to them and that you wish to dance so they come and get you

Be friendly and compliment them on their dancing (even if horrid) and you will get more dances

I am young but do cunard mostly for the dancing and hence I love to dress up

cheers

Yikes, do bad dancers manage to get hired on as hosts? :eek:

Reminds me of the Lemmon-Matthau movie "Out to Sea"!!

Hi Jims girl

Dancingman66

I found your posting interesting, you do admit that the hosts do "pick and choose" , I do not dance these days, but I have noticed that the hosts seem to have a very small circle of dance partners, chosen on the first night, and if a female is not in that group, then she will not be asked to dance .

Any female wishing to dance MUST to sit at a table on the edge of the dance floor,in order to be "noticed" .

The other thing you can do if they are not dancing with you is to first ask them to dance - tell them that you wish to dance also, and if they still go to their favourites don't feel backward on compaining - not sure who is in charge of them on qv and qm at present but Freda is on QE

she will sort them out, and go to hemispheres after also

other wise grab someone like me

I dance with everyone even though I am only a passenger most times

and have cruised with alot of the regular ladies many a time - by coincidence by being a cruise addict

Cheers

Hi Kathy

Hi Ratty

Yikes, do bad dancers manage to get hired on as hosts? :eek:

Reminds me of the Lemmon-Matthau movie "Out to Sea"!!

there is a very strict test you have to go through for to be a host, but realistically you only need to know basic steps and not many of the hosts put themselves out there as alot do this as a free holiday and others just to be around other people

most of the hosts I know and have met are not cruisers, they are doing this for the travel and can dance so get near free travelling (pay a $30 per day fee to be there and provide set uniforms)

I am not hosting as am ashamed to be put into the category of alot of these

they pickan dchose who they dance with

Yes some ladies are very painful sometimes literally to dance with, but all deserve equal attention

I usually find myself with a totally full card and if i dont go to the queens room for some reason - they start to hunt me down

one cruise director in confidence said if you know what a foxtrot is you are in

seems pretty true and these guys do six months a year

cheers

One of the obvious purposes of the singles get-together held in G32 the first morning of the TA was for the social hostess to introduce the single ladies to the gentlemen dancers. Perhaps this brief hello will bring on a helpful glimmer of recognition later that night in the Queens Room. (Or perhaps that uncomforatble ritual will have them seeking out fresh faces...who can tell?)

On my August voyage the men well outnumbered the ladies at this gathering which is apparently atypical; the hostess was a bit harried in trying to introduce each of the few ladies to as many different gents whose names she could remember. Most of the ladies quickly excused themselves by saying they did not want to miss the Insights lecture. Of course I invited myself along, but the two I chatted with before the start of the lecture both bolted for the door before the house lights went up. Oh well. Truthfully it is much easier to find other unaccompanied travelers simply by going about your day than through the schemes organized by the ship.

On that note, one minor issue I had was the lack of large communal tables at afternoon tea. Yes I know a table for eight or ten would look odd in the Queens Room. But failing to chat up anyone in the queue, I would sit at at table set for three and (on all but one day) rather than someone eventually joining me either one or both of the chairs and settings would be taken by a neighboring table wishing to add a fourth or fifth.

A friend of mine who had traveled solo on Cunard ships for several years was not into dancing but did enjoy watching others on the dance floor. On one voyage, she met a man also traveling solo who was drinking and watching dancers while seated at a table near hers. One of them spoke to the other and they introduced. It was in the first few days of the voyage and their relationship grew with the findings of similar interests and even a common port destination. They were not looking for martial partners at the time since both had lost mates in the recent past. They married and have been together for nearly 25 years - and still riding Cunard ships at every opportunity.

Anyone relate to this finding of a soul mate whilst enjoying the music and the dancing? I heard the story first-hand and found it wonderful. Jack Morris

As for the Dance hosts, you will need to go to the dance early, sit at a table at the side of the dance floor in order to be noticed by them. Sit any where else and you will not be seen. A host will dance maybe one dance with you in an hour of dancing.there are only 4 on board usually

quote]

Not ALWAYS true we have noticed certain ladies seem to get more than their fair share of the hosts' attention. One lady was hardly ever off the floor on our last trip. (We do like to watch the dancing) I don't know what the rules are for the hosts or even if there are any rules but I expect it helps if they see you can dance a bit and are good company. But like Jimsgirl says, go early and get a seat on the edge of the dance floor for the best chance of a dance. And if you are a gent travelling solo and you can dance at all then there will be partners aplenty for you.

Ratty

Most importantly it should be fun. It should not be stressful. Why would a lady want to put herself through the stress of trying to get the attention of the gentleman hosts? It should be easy and pleasant and "kind". It is no time or place for making anyone feel left out or unhappy in any way.

I have not put myself in that position. Usually I will sit in the back with tablemates, and the gentleman hosts come all the way back to our table. You don't have to sit in the front.

The rules call for hosts to dance with all unattached ladies, in strict rotation. The Cunard staff don't know anything about dancing, have other duties, and often don't notice until the other ladies complain. A word to the Social Hostess is all that should be necessary. If you go into the Queen's Room only at busy times then it will be difficult but you should get plenty of dancing other times. Sitting in front advertises your unattached status- sitting with a group, it can be hard to tell.

The standards for dance hosts were never very high. Now all that's required is an audition video. When I asked Sixth Star (QM2 contract) what dancing they wanted to see the total reply was “some patterns”. But they were very worried about dress and appearance. I wasn't impressed.

Sometimes though, what looks like favouritism is music that is so off-tempo and so inappropriate for the age group, there are only a few ladies who can cope with say, what is supposedly chacha or Viennese waltz. Off the dance floor of course, the hosts should never appear to be always around the same ladies.

Hi Bob

The rules call for hosts to dance with all unattached ladies, in strict rotation. The Cunard staff don't know anything about dancing, have other duties, and often don't notice until the other ladies complain. A word to the Social Hostess is all that should be necessary. If you go into the Queen's Room only at busy times then it will be difficult but you should get plenty of dancing other times. Sitting in front advertises your unattached status- sitting with a group, it can be hard to tell.

The standards for dance hosts were never very high. Now all that's required is an audition video. When I asked Sixth Star (QM2 contract) what dancing they wanted to see the total reply was “some patterns”. But they were very worried about dress and appearance. I wasn't impressed.

Sometimes though, what looks like favouritism is music that is so off-tempo and so inappropriate for the age group, there are only a few ladies who can cope with say, what is supposedly chacha or Viennese waltz. Off the dance floor of course, the hosts should never appear to be always around the same ladies.

I know exactly what you mean and i was extremely put off that the level of dancing is so poor and so acceptable to them

but you need the correct blue blazer and tan pants etc etc

what a joke

see you on a cruise some time

I'm looking at a solo eastbound TA but the supplement is MURDER! But I guess the experience would be worth it and I can pay in installments. . .I also want to cruise to Bermuda and the Mediterranean but this is the only cruise that fits my vacation schedule...I'm *this* close to booking it though.

In the end it's the bottom line that counts--a zero single supplement on

an expensive base fare could be more expensive than a 100% supplement

on a heavily discounted one. Having said that I've been on TAs on

Celebrity, Princess and Oceania with zero single supplements--it pays to be alert.

I haven't sailed Cunard since QE2 left the fleet, mainly because the architect did not include any solo cabins in QM2 and QV. We always had the most pleasant and interesting passengers. I must admit, it does help to orchestrate a table in advance of the sailing with people you already know, because it is possible to have a dull table even amid a table of 8. I did sail a segment of the World Cruise thru the Panama Canal and met lots of singles playing the trivia team games. Unfortunately, my teammates were continuing around the world, while I was not.

Cornelia

So Cunard is having a sale now. The same cruise on QV still ends up being just under $1900 for a solo but the deposit is reduced, I get $50 onboard credit (which I'm sure doesn't go very far :D) and the potential for an upgrade (which I'm not holding my breath for). So, perhaps my dream of traveling transatlantic is at hand! Right now, it's on hold for me until Sunday. What to do!

A trans-Atlantic crossing of six nights at $1,900 is about as good as you will get for single occupancy, inside cabin. On an upcoming QV cruise to Caribbean, 11 nights, D8 cabin single occupancy, my best price is $2,850 all in. I may get upgraded as I am now Platinum on Cunard World Club, but a D8 cabin is perfectly fine as compared to other inside cabins.

$50 onboard credit won't buy much; about 15 glasses of coca cola which is what I drink in the Queen's Room in the evening during the dancing.

Only caveat I would venture to say would be to watch the weather, going into the rougher seas in N Atlantic, but you just never know.

whether seas would be rough or minor swells only.

Edited by tangoll
added last sentence

Thanks for reminding me tangoll, completely lacking in the costume list for hosts is- dance shoes! I can only quite Foxy from the Dancers thread, "All experienced dancers know...."

As I write this my travel agent is checking for space on the QE TA, 10 Jan.

A trans-Atlantic crossing of six nights at $1,900 is about as good as you will get for single occupancy, inside cabin. On an upcoming QV cruise to Caribbean, 11 nights, D8 cabin single occupancy, my best price is $2,850 all in. I may get upgraded as I am now Platinum on Cunard World Club, but a D8 cabin is perfectly fine as compared to other inside cabins.

$50 onboard credit won't buy much; about 15 glasses of coca cola which is what I drink in the Queen's Room in the evening during the dancing.

Only caveat I would venture to say would be to watch the weather, going into the rougher seas in N Atlantic, but you just never know.

whether seas would be rough or minor swells only.

After careful consideration, I'm going to book. This is really a dream for me and life is too short to not try to achieve your dreams. This will be the most outrageous trip I've done but it's so me. Maybe I'll pen/draw my own tale of the high seas a la the Bouvier sisters' One Special Summer? :D

Wasn't there a recent blog on here by a single traveller where she was left dining alone, some tablemates having moved and others not turned up for dinner:confused: I remember reading something about it which didn't sound great.

Wasn't there a recent blog on here by a single traveller where she was left dining alone, some tablemates having moved and others not turned up for dinner:confused: I remember reading something about it which didn't sound great.

That wasn't me, but you get all kinds when traveling solo. It's the luck of the draw, and one shouldn't be afraid to change tables until one finds a "good" one.

During my sailings I've experienced tables with fantastic tablemates, and I've also experienced a table with a couple who kept to themselves and an elderly lady who complained alot, one with people who complained about "dressing up" and then eventually stopped coming to dinner, another with friendly sorts, but who were not interested in socializing after dinner (attending the theatre, etc), and some with people who were just not particularly gregarious. There was one time everyone had left, and it was just me and a fellow who did not talk at all because he was eating enormous quantities of food. I have also found myself alone at times.

However, the quite numerous times I've had great tables with fun, sociable people have almost made up for the others...something to keep looking for. I always had a marvelous time when my tablemates were compatible, and much less so when they were not. I suppose on the latter crossings I should give up on night life and just get up early and do the day things (instead of trying to force myself to have a good time in the evenings anyway, being disappointed, and sometimes drinking too much to compensate).

Edited by Leucothea

That has happened to me on P&O but not yet on Cunard. After a couple of nights some other people asked to move to keep me company. Current fares on offer here are £1000 for a 7 night crossing sole occupancy.

In the end it's the bottom line that counts--a zero single supplement on

an expensive base fare could be more expensive than a 100% supplement

on a heavily discounted one. Having said that I've been on TAs on

Celebrity, Princess and Oceania with zero single supplements--it pays to be alert.

I think it's a matter of being alert and searching for the deals. I found a great deal early in the year for QM2. I went into the office next morning and checked the leave charts, then I phoned and booked the trip (Transatlantic). It was a fantastic deal, and I loved the experience. It's made me a big fan of the ship, and I'll be looking for other opportunities. At least now I get the offer emails/letters from Cunard.

My next planned trip with Cunard is on the QE next year - it sails on my birthday so it's going to be my birthday treat. It's only a 3-nighter, so I've convinced both my daughters to come with me. Can't wait! (Except for the getting older bit, of course .....)

We will be sharing a stateroom. Does anyone have any experience of 3 in a stateroom? I'm sure we'll cope for such a short trip.

I suppose it depends on your tablemates. I was on a table of 8, and the 2 couples didn't join us again. The other 3 women (who were travelling together) asked for a smaller table and asked me to join them. I thought that was very nice of them. On the last night they were late to dinner and I was on my own for a while. Some other people that I had met saw me there, and came back a little while later to check whether or not I was still on my own. They would have invited me to join them at their table. How nice!

This was my first ever trip alone, and it has given me the confidence to carry on and book more cruises. I wish I had done it earlier .....

I have been signed up for E mails on the Cunard page for years, I have checked that I am on the list, but I have never, and I do mean NEVER received even one E mail /deal from Cunard.

I am a Diamond member, so no one can say that I never travel with Cunard.

Just when does one have to do to get these E mails?

I do agree table companions are very much the luck of the draw, at one time I was been the only "English" speaking person at a table for 8.Presumably the seating was done by a badly programmed computer!

It is very true, that even though who are really nice and friendly at the table do not ask solo travellers to join them at the theatre, or in the Queens Room.

A solo passenger could I suppose impose on them, by asking, "If you are going to the theatre, may I join you" but I think that would be unacceptable behaviour on the part of the solo passenger. I go to after dinner events alone .

My atitude is that I smile, chat and generally behave in a friendly manner, but always remembering that couples are not there to entertain or cater to me .

Cunard could but do not arrange groups for singles. There may be one coffee morning where a staffer, will come and say, "turn to the persons next to you and introduce yourselves" or ask you to stand and deliver a bio , but said staffer often leaves after staying only 15-20 mins. and after that the any "meeting" is unhosted

On Port days the daily news sheet often says something like "Singles should gather at the gangway at 10.30a.m to plan their day ashore.(unhosted)" That is downright discouraging.

In view of the supplement they make us pay, Cunard could pay more attention to us. but they do not , so we "smile" and pretend we are having a "super time" .