Anyone opt to not participate on formal night?

Buckeyefan1

We are light packers and don't bother to pack formal wear.

Actually, we love formal night in that the buffet and other venues are less crowded. We have our dinner and then maybe hang out reading in the library or on deck if it is not hot, catch a movie, etc.

I wouldn't dream of passing up formal night. It's one thing that makes sailing so special - a break from the grunge of everyday life. Dresses don't have to be Chanel, suits don't need to come from Brooks Brothers nor does the jewelry need to be real. But everyone who makes the effort looks great and the entire evening has an air of festivity that would not otherwise be possible.

Opting out of formal night is like going to the best steak house in town but opting for a veggie berger.

i prefer to have it MY choice if i dress-up or not and still be able to eat in ALL the venues~NCL allows me to do that.

when we did cruise other lines, it was to much stress and rush to have to be dressed a 'certain' way every night at a certain time to enjoy dinner in the MDR--one of the reasons we LOVE Freestyle!!!

well,,, isn't that special!!!

We're veterans of 40+ cruises, and have noticed that each succeeding voyage has become a bit less "formal." We don't think it's disrespectful to others in any manner ... "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer cherce." For our last two cruises (RCI Voyager of the Seas and Golden Princess) I decided to leave the suit, sport jacket and ties at home ... in fact, we got away with just our carry-ons on the Golden. Prepared to have to dine at the buffets on formal nights, we nevertheless showed up at the MDR's, and were seated without a problem. Nobody looked at us funny ... even a few of our tablemates who were dressed in accordance with the "suggested attire" remarked that they'll probably pack a little lighter on their next cruise. Overall, it appeared as if about 1/3 of the men were jacket- and tie-less. It's much simpler for the women ... a sparkly top and nice slacks worked fine for my wife. We have enough photos from past cruises ... don't even have them taken anymore. But it's not as if all bets are off ... I did observe a gentleman dressed in sloppy jeans, a sweatshirt and baseball cap (backwards, of course) turned away.

What I've also noticed is that the resistance from those who prefer "traditional" attire on formal nights has dissipated over time. Yes, there are still those who feel slighted by us folks who opt to show up in nice slacks and a long-sleeved shirt ... but their number seems to be diminishing, if the posts on threads such as this are any indication.

Yes, feel free to dress yourselves and the kids as you wish, within reason. You should have no prblem. Enjoy your cruise!

Al

We have done 5 cruises and have packed dressy clothes and suits for all of them. It's literally a process hunting down suits ties shirts that still fit, dress shoes etc for my three boys ranging from 13 - 21.

We are going on the RCL Freedom of the seas in a few weeks and I am so tempted to not go through that fire drill this trip and just do the buffet or Johnny Rockets etc.

Anyone else just not done the formal nights on a cruise? I'm afraid that when it gets to those nights we will feel out of place! Plus I like to get a family photo and standing in line in just dressy casual attire with everyone else all decked out I'm afraid we will really be out of place.

We opted out of formal night and don't regret it a bit. We also had plenty of pictures throughout the cruise, so didn't miss the formal ones.

Wear your "dressy casual attire" for the picture and eat where you'll be comfortable. Don't worry about being out of place and enjoy yourself.

Have fun!

I prefer to have it MY choice if i dress-up or not and still be able to eat in ALL the venues~NCL allows me to do that... we LOVE Freestyle!!!

Which is why NCL would not be for me.

If I'm promised a formal night in the main dining room, and I arrive in a formal dress, I don't want my table mates to be allowed to ruin the entire elegant atmosphere by showing up in casual shirts and pants. If that makes me an arrogant snob then so be it.

Fortunately there are lines with dress codes more to my liking. Therefore, I choose to sail on them rather than try to force my own preferences on NCL or other casual lines.

I like being able to dress up a bit...although it is not 'formal' attire by tuxedo standards, the DH wears a nice dark suit and tie and I a flowing long dress [knit] which is very comfy...and under that my flip flops...:p. I would be tempted to park the kids in a kids club or let them do their own thing at dinner and it just be me and the DH [if kids were old enough...] my kids would love to do the room service thing while mom and dad had a 'date night'. but to each their own! Your on a cruise...do what you want and enjoy yourself! If you want to wear a tux...then wear a tux. If you don't then don't...if you don't want nice dining room experience and prefer buffets...then do that! That's why I love cruising!!!

First cruise packed the suit, tie, dress shoes, etc.:mad:. Second cruise did not :). Coming up cruise :confused:, don't know. I HATE packing suit, etc. Guess if the rest of the crowd packs the suit, then so will I :rolleyes:. That is the only thing I don't like about a cruise, YOU GONNA PACK THE SUIT, ETC. :eek:.

I kind of enjoy the formal nights, although I do the suit rather than a tux when I do it.

It all comes down to deciding if I want to carry that extra load or not. I have gone both ways, but when I decide to not carry dressy attire, I eat in the informal venues, not the MDR.

To the OP, I will offer what I would do in your case, for what it's worth. I would not carry dress clothes for the boys. Just too much for too little, unless they want to. I would plan on eating in the buffet. As for the pictures, you can take informal ones. None of my business at all, but you did ask.

No formal dinners this upcoming cruise, instead, going to try room service on those nights.

Nice dinner out on our balcony. I worry enough about the weight of my luggage and not having to pack those formal clothes will just make our trip a little less stressful.

I like formal/elegant night. Don't have much chance to dress up at home so it's fun to gussy up. Even going to church is very casual these days.

I've always participated.

Same here. The only time we get to dress formal at home is for a wedding or a funeral. We have no fancy dining, dancing or shows here in North Central Arkansas. It is a change for us when we dine with someone not wearing overalls.

If you don't want to dress formal, have at it. It is your vacation.

I think you'd have to admit that we're at a cultural crossroads right now, in cruising. There are those who are enchanted with the romance of travel on the high seas and want that bygone era of "dressing up" never to go away. Others see their vacation as a 7-night getaway, and most guys want to get away from their suits and ties and not be reminded of the "nooses" they wear around their necks every day at the office.

I would imagine that soon, a line will come up with a formal seating and a casual seating on the two formal nights of your average cruise.

I'll see you in the dining room. I'll be the one in a pair of dockers, a long-sleeved shirt (most likely with the sleeves partially rolled up), and a big ol' smile on my face.

If people want to wear dockers into the main dining room, then why even have a formal dining room? Just go to all buffet, all the time. Since we need to get away from suits and such, why be constrained to formal table manners when you really want to pick up the chicken or corn cob in you hands?

What a money saver that would be for cruise lines! One, they don't have to hire wait staff. Two, the crew cabins now occupied by wait staff can be converted to revenue-generating passanger cabins!:eek:

Which is why NCL would not be for me.

If I'm promised a formal night in the main dining room, and I arrive in a formal dress, I don't want my table mates to be allowed to ruin the entire elegant atmosphere by showing up in casual shirts and pants. If that makes me an arrogant snob then so be it.

Fortunately there are lines with dress codes more to my liking. Therefore, I choose to sail on them rather than try to force my own preferences on NCL or other casual lines.

Maricpr - I dont think this makes you a snob. Its your vacation and your money. I just think this is why there are so many cruise lines with different styles. I prefer not to do formal night. Im on vacation, I want to be relaxed, but still does not make you a snob or me a slob. Its our money, we earned it. So enjoy your vacation your way

If people want to wear dockers into the main dining room, then why even have a formal dining room? Just go to all buffet, all the time. Since we need to get away from suits and such, why be constrained to formal table manners when you really want to pick up the chicken or corn cob in you hands?

What a money saver that would be for cruise lines! One, they don't have to hire wait staff. Two, the crew cabins now occupied by wait staff can be converted to revenue-generating passanger cabins!:eek:

My husband wears dockers and I've yet to see him have any less manners than those in a 3 piece suit or a tux. In fact, some of the most obnoxious people I've run into are those 'dressed to the nines" who feel they are better than the rest

My husband wears dockers and I've yet to see him have any less manners than those in a 3 piece suit or a tux. In fact, some of the most obnoxious people I've run into are those 'dressed to the nines" who feel they are better than the rest

Debbie in Seattle

You're taking my comment about casual dress to imply that anyone who doesn't dress to the nines is ill mannered and inconsiderate. That's not what I said. I said that if informality is preferred, why not scrap the entire main dining room practice and just go to all buffet. To me it's a disconnect to have a formal, elaborate meal service while guests come in casual.

You're taking my comment about casual dress to imply that anyone who doesn't dress to the nines is ill mannered and inconsiderate. That's not what I said. I said that if informality is preferred, why not scrap the entire main dining room practice and just go to all buffet. To me it's a disconnect to have a formal, elaborate meal service while guests come in casual.

Uh, but you kind of did say casual dress is somehow related to manners and eating with one's hands instead of utensils.

That is exactly why we choose to sit at a table for two. We certainly would not want to "ruin" someone's evening because of the way we choose to dress. And for what it is worth, I choose a shirt and tie, blue blazer, and dark slacks which is not really formal, but for me is dressing up. My suits no longer fit properly and I choose not to buy or rent a tuxedo and I will not be relegated to the buffet or room service. We avoid the captain's reception and stay out of all formal photos.

I do not really see what the big fuss is all about. We always travel as a family (4), we always opt for traditional dining, we always have a table for 4, we NEVER dress-up for formal nights, and we ALWAYS go to the MDR on formal nights dressed smart-casual. The ship personnel always welcomes us, they do not make us feel out of place, and we never received any "strange"looks from fellow passengers.

2 reasons for not dressing up: a) We hate it, and b)cruising for us always implies flying to the port to get our ship, so what we can carry is always dictated by the airline, and I am not about to pack a suit and waste luggage space.

Conclusion: it is your vacation. As long as you are not being obnoxious, and bothering fellow passengers, do as you like and relax.

On our last cruise, we opted out of formal dining. We dressed smart casual every night and quite enjoyed it, especially DH. Our trip involved a 3 week European land trip and a Baltic cruise. Due to lots of train travel and one flight within Europe, we had to limit our luggage weight and it just didn't make sense to pack formal wear for only two formal evenings.

We are not planning to take any formal wear on our cruise. We are more comfortable in casual or smart casual clothes. We reckon we'll have a look and see how formally dressed people are and if we feel that we'll fit in ok, we'll have our dinner in the MDR and if not, we'll go somewhere else or have room service.

Sometimes we do formal night sometimes we don't. The times that we skipped it we've never felt out of place. There are plenty of people who skip it so its not like you will be the only ones doing it.

Archived