Plus Size Formal Help Needed

jhofer

I'm plus size and looking for my formal gown. We're on a tight budget which is making my search difficult. Anyone get thier gowns from ebay? Which seller?

Hi , I am plus size also , no I have not purchased from ebay , but have read that many have and are happy with their purchases. Most of my formal ware I purchased ON SALE , or clearance , I just don't like to spend a lot on something I am not going to ware very often. If you have a Ross store near you , check it out , it is amazing what you can find there. Once you start looking you will be surprized how many formal options that there are for us plus size ladies. Also there is nothing written that says you can't ware the same gown twice , just accessorize differently. Good Luck. Happy Shopping

Cori

Try OneStopPlus.com as they carry a bunch of different lines all in one online store and summer stuff is discounted as we enter fall. There are a lot of simple dresses that are long enough to be styled formal without breaking the bank like the Ulla Popken Grommet Empire Knit Dress priced at $69.

8855_10158_mc_0002.jpg?wid=270&qlt=95&op_sharpen=1

Thanks everyone. I have checked the 3 Ross stores, Marshalls and TJ Max that are in the area. I've also been to all the department stores in the mall (JC Penney's, Macy's, Dillard, Belks). I've now resorted to shopping online. I have checked onestopplus dot com but haven't seen anything that I liked in my budget and/or size.

I know that lots of people have purchased dresses on ebay so I was hoping that might work. Just trying to find sellers that have plus sizes that others have purchsed from already.

I have a couple of dresses that I could wear if need be but I was really hoping to find something new. :D

I did just find a dress on ebay by seller ever-pretty that I really like. Anyone use them before?

Thanks for the link iheartbda! I'll have to check out that thread...

I agree with cb no one knows you on the cruise so thay don't know if dresses are new or not. Save your money to spend on something that you enjoy on the cruise.

But I am also a plus size and ordered a dress from milafashion on ebay. They have new evening wear with the tags for $49+. Seems to be good quality and after all you probably won't wear it but once anyway (the cruise).

Hi -- Do you have a Goodwill or consignment stores near you? I have purchased my formal gowns from both. You have to go often and just get lucky, but they do have plus sizes. I recycle my old formals there, so I know they sometimes have good stuff!;) Remember, Goodwill cleans or washes everything, but they do not press at all. Something might look just OK, but after it has been cleaned and pressed, it looks great.

The prices are just amazing, and most formal wear is only worn once or twice, so it is almost new!

Margee

Thought I replied already but I guess not. I have bought dresses off of ebay before. Various sellers though. I bought my Matron of Honer dress there and a long black gown as well. I have had good luck but... Most pre owned dresses need to be cleaned first and that adds cost. Second, make sure to send a email asking if any alterations were done. I have had a few great dresses I loved, sent the questions and the answer was yes. They never disclosed it in the description.

I have also bought stuff from davids bridal. They have online sale as well in store and some of there bridesmaids dresses make great formal gowns. You can even try in store for size and shop online. I understand the wanting to buy something new. You might also check what you have and maybe add a great pair of shoes or sash or even a shawl to change up the look.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have spent the last three months browsing all the local stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, JCPenneys, Macy's, Dillards, Belks, Kohls and even the consignment shops) looking for something that seemed young enough looking for me but was also a great price and in my size.

I did just win this beauty on eBay for $22! I'm so excited. Just hope it fits properly. The listed measurements should work but you never know. I figured for $22, I could pay the extra for alterations if needed. I'm so excited. Got it from ebay seller ever-pretty. They have dresses up to a size 3XL.

HE09107BL-M.jpg

I forgot to mention, in regards to the not purchasing a new dress. I realize that nobody on the ship will know that I am wearing a dress I've already worn. My bigger issue is that it seems the only time I take pictures that include myself are on cruises or at weddings. All the dresses that I own have been recently worn (photographed) at weddings or on cruises. I'm just getting tired of looking at dressed up pictures of myself (and hubby) and seeing the same three dresses. LOL! I do make a point to wear each of them at least twice though. We have another wedding coming up in October that I'm already planning on wearing the only dress that I've only worn once. So I dont' want to wear it on the cruise and then turn around the next month and wear it again at the wedding. :D

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have spent the last three months browsing all the local stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, JCPenneys, Macy's, Dillards, Belks, Kohls and even the consignment shops) looking for something that seemed young enough looking for me but was also a great price and in my size.

I did just win this beauty on eBay for $22! I'm so excited. Just hope it fits properly. The listed measurements should work but you never know. I figured for $22, I could pay the extra for alterations if needed. I'm so excited. Got it from ebay seller ever-pretty. They have dresses up to a size 3XL.

HE09107BL-M.jpg

Beautiful dress! And what a bargain! Let us know how it turns out.

I had this dress in beige. It's pretty. A lot of my cruise clothes I found on ebay....I love vintage Gunne Sax.

Best wishes,

Jane

Glad you liked it. I'm kinda nervous about having ordered it and not knowing how it will fit me.

I bought both of these dresses for my cruise in October, and they were both like $30 a piece..I got the one with flowers from a place called Dots and the other one I just got the other day from Macy's...it was 65% off!...I love clearance..lol.

1698663210_flowerdress.jpg.ab0083e37c295576e706c5c9b944d141.jpg

137826901_purpledress.jpg.d336c4ef768af90e4257f1ccbb4a582d.jpg

• 1 month later...
Glad you liked it. I'm kinda nervous about having ordered it and not knowing how it will fit me.

How did it fit? I found on 6 of the 7 dresses that I won from Ever Pretty, that they were to small...even when I went up a size...I think it was because of the material

Well I finally got this dress this Saturday. Took forever to get here. Although I will say that ever-pretty was great as far as customer service. They had e-mailed me to see if I had it yet and when I said I hadn't recieved it they tracked it for me and offered a refund if I didn't get it in time for the cruise. They were very prompt to respond. So that was great.

The dress is about 1 inch to short across the chest. :(

I was afraid of this because I knew that the listed measurments were less than my bust measurement. However, I have found that usually when I order online (jenney's, macy's, ect...) I usually order one size smaller than what the size chart says to. Maybe something about the strech in the material or something. However with ever-pretty, I ordered the largest size I could 3X.

So that being said, the size chart seems to be very accurate, which is a good thing I guess.

For reference and anyone else thinking of ordering with them. I wear a size 2X or 20/22W in tops and a 18/20W in bottoms.

I would order from them again after I've lost some weight. For now I'm just holding the dress until my birthday cruise next year. Hopefully I will fit into it then. :D

Well I finally got this dress this Saturday. Took forever to get here. Although I will say that ever-pretty was great as far as customer service. They had e-mailed me to see if I had it yet and when I said I hadn't recieved it they tracked it for me and offered a refund if I didn't get it in time for the cruise. They were very prompt to respond. So that was great.

The dress is about 1 inch to short across the chest. :(

I was afraid of this because I knew that the listed measurments were less than my bust measurement. However, I have found that usually when I order online (jenney's, macy's, ect...) I usually order one size smaller than what the size chart says to. Maybe something about the strech in the material or something. However with ever-pretty, I ordered the largest size I could 3X.

So that being said, the size chart seems to be very accurate, which is a good thing I guess.

For reference and anyone else thinking of ordering with them. I wear a size 2X or 20/22W in tops and a 18/20W in bottoms.

I would order from them again after I've lost some weight. For now I'm just holding the dress until my birthday cruise next year. Hopefully I will fit into it then. :D

I agree...the sizing chart is just not what the US is used to. I won a size 2x from alisapanus....it is an Ever Pretty dress....it is the long one in my picture.......I won 6 more from Ever Pretty in size 2x and size 3x and all were to small....I really think it has a lot to do with the material....They were wonderful to respond...matter of fact, I just won the same dress as the cream colored long one only in pink.....

jhofer

I know this is to late for this cruise for you, but make a note of this site:

therosedress.com

They go up to size 5x maybe even I saw a 6x? Not sure. This is the dress I ordered in 4x, I normally wear a 1x, but I can sew, so if needed I will take it in. I hope I dont end up looking like a giant eggplant! Any way it was only 65 dollars.

CD5098pic1.jpg

jhofer

I know this is to late for this cruise for you, but make a note of this site:

therosedress.com

They go up to size 5x maybe even I saw a 6x? Not sure. This is the dress I ordered in 4x, I normally wear a 1x, but I can sew, so if needed I will take it in. I hope I dont end up looking like a giant eggplant! Any way it was only 65 dollars.

CD5098pic1.jpg

This dress is beautiful and I LOVE the color!!!

I will check out the site. I'm already starting to plan my birthday cruise for March 2013 and will need some fabulous dresses for that one!!! Thansk a bunch! Let me know how it fits for you.