boxed wine

DP

Be aware: if you do and get caught they may take it to the naughty room.

"Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests are allowed to bring wine or champagne onboard. These will be subject to a $15 corkage fee regardless of size.

Wines that are not featured on NCL's wine lists are subject to the corkage fee including wine sent directly to the ship by Travel Agents, friends, family, from another retail source, etc. The bottle will have a sticker or stamp placed on it showing that the fee was paid, and that the guest will be allowed to have the product onboard. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard."

We have in the past on other cruise lines, and I would think that boxed wine will make it through fairly easily.

We're paying the $15. We have a local wine store that sells very good wine at reasonable prices, even tacking the charge onto the price, we'll still beat the onboard price. And there's the added benefit of not worrying about it leaking on my clothes.

I brought 2 square cubes of wine (black box from Target)to Tahiti with us, and wrapped them both in gift wrap with a smashed bow. After a few days, we became friends with several guys on the ship so I invited them all over to our suite for some home made "Sangria". I got all kinds of fruit from the buffet, sliced it all up, poured in the wines and then ordered a double vodka on the rocks and poured it in the "flower vase" which was fabulous as a sangria pitcher! The group named the concoction "Prison Hootch"......but boy was it tasty!

Who the hell drinks wine out of a box!? Hobos? Try a bottle of Night Train next time! If you can't afford to bring proper wine and pay the corkage fee, maybe a cruise is a wee bit out of your price range. I hear that Walmart sells inflatable pools for a couple of bucks. You could get one, fill it, put some chairs around it, sip some boxed wine and pretend that you are sailing to some tropical port-of-call...

OMG how rude!!! :eek:

I didn't mean to be rude. I guess i just don't get the boxed wine - or for that matter the need to sneak in alcohol - thing.

Sorry to anyone I offended.

You appear to be under the impression that those who enjoy a boxed wine are doing it because it is "cheaper". I am no wine connoisseur, I have never purchased wine by the price sticker on the bottle. As a matter of fact I have tasted wine that was apparently very high end and I personally wouldn't give you 2 cents for. I drink wine by what I enjoy for taste, just like any other drink or food that enters my mouth. I actually have had very nice tasting (to me) wine from a box. That is why your comment was very rude and mean, because you obviously either haven't tried or haven't found a wine that you enjoyed that came in a box, you made totally off the wall assumptions. Sorry I don't live by the rule of thumb that just because something has a bigger price tag that it automatically makes it better.

I also don't see the need to smuggle wine, booze or anything else against policy on board.

We have taken box wine twice in our checked luggage....BUT...we took the bladder out of the box and put that in a zip lock bag. In effect, that becomes a RumRunner. My thinking was that the box shape will be obvious in the x-ray. Now that there is a specific statement about box wines being prohibited, they may be looking more closely.

and...because we did not have the box, the wine fit in the refrigerator just fine.

I didn't mean to be rude. I guess i just don't get the boxed wine - or for that matter the need to sneak in alcohol - thing.

You were very rude. Have you ever lowered yourself to even try boxed wine? Is it below you?

You know there are some people on these boards who would consider youtrailor trash for cruising on Carnival and NCL;)

You know there are some people on these boards who would consider youtrailor trash for cruising on Carnival and NCL;)

Come on, didn't you see the apology? And by the way, I just want to point out that trailer trash is very derogatory in itself.

The sneaking issue I understand how you feel, but the boxed wine: I don't know if people choose box because it is easier to smuggle or they enjoy it. Some of it is very good and less expensive than by the bottle. I don't think you are being rude I will add. We did bring a box on ship during our last cruise. We also paid corkage for a few bottles. We were not necessarily trying to smuggle, we just had the box in our luggage.

Nita

It was a rude comment but the guy did apologize . I give him credit for that as others don't.

I'm finding alot of people bashing lately on CC more so than ever before.

I thought this was a site to give and get advice on cruising etc.

C'mon people .. Get back to what this site is for .... helping fellow cruisers old and new to cruise critic !

When I see something I don't agree with or don't like ...... I just don't reply .

It was a rude comment but the guy did apologize . I give him credit for that as others don't.

C'mon people .. Get back to what this site is for .... helping fellow cruisers old and new to cruise critic !

When I see something I don't agree with or don't like ...... I just don't reply .

I agree!

Very well said.

Coincidentally enough, there was an article on box wine in the New York Times on August 1.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/reconsidering-boxed-wine/

According to the article, the popularity of wine kegs at many good quality restaurants are making people reconsider boxed wine.

The advantages of boxed wine include longer wine life due to less air. The box wine debate is probably up there with the rubber "cork" and the screw tops.

Wine makers are changing their packaging for many reasons. I think a lot of the changes are coming from more educated consumers. Many people know now that getting cork in the wine is a major no, no as it can potentially ruin the quality. Alternative packaging like screw tops, or extra strong rubber "corks", or even boxes protects the integrity and quality of the wine.

Coincidentally enough, there was an article on box wine in the New York Times on August 1.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/01/reconsidering-boxed-wine/

According to the article, the popularity of wine kegs at many good quality restaurants are making people reconsider boxed wine.

The advantages of boxed wine include longer wine life due to less air. The box wine debate is probably up there with the rubber "cork" and the screw tops.

Wine makers are changing their packaging for many reasons.

All very true. I attend many wine tastings and had this conversation with a sommellier a few years ago when composite wine corks were gaining popularity along with twist off caps.

For one box of wine - is it only one $15 corkage fee? Even for a large box;)

Last time I looked, NCL does not allow box wine in any way. Corkage is for bottle wine only. Check out the FAQ's.

If your going to take it, you'll have to smuggle it, same as rum runners.:D

Archived