Lunch options on embarkation day

MS52

First meal served is dinner 1st day but if you want to go look for your table or make changes the room is normally open and someone will be there to help you or there will be a sign directing you to where to go. Lunch, however will not be served.

On our first cruise (Song of America, 1996) lunch was served in the MDR on embarkation day. I don't even know if the Windjammer was an option that day as we were directed to the MDR. They had a cold buffet set up (sandwiches, salads, etcl). I remember we were seated with a very humorless couple who refused to talk with us. Anyway, that's the only cruise we've been on in which the MDR was open for lunch first day.

Nope. Not open for lunch on port days, and I guess technically embarkation day is a port day. Beside, it is a tradition to get the honey stung chicken from the Windjammer for embarkation lunch, isn't it?

How about on the Jewel? Is the Seaview Cafe open on embarkation day?

Not when you first board. Your only option is usually the Windjammer. The first day's Cruise Compass will tell you when and if the Seaview opens on Day 1, but I think it is well after the normal lunch hour.:)

Just got off Enchantment and found the options for food pretty terrible. When we boarded we were told our only food option was the disgusting hamburgers and hotdogs that were poolside sitting in a steam tray and cold french fries. Needless to say very disappointed as our dinner was not until 8:30. The food choices were limited and the MDR food was just mediocre. The only really good meal we had was at Chops Grille. Royal Caribbean did not meet up to our expectations in many areas food was just one of them. Eat before you get on the boat would be my advice.

Just got off Enchantment and found the options for food pretty terrible. When we boarded we were told our only food option was the disgusting hamburgers and hotdogs that were poolside sitting in a steam tray and cold french fries. Needless to say very disappointed as our dinner was not until 8:30. The food choices were limited and the MDR food was just mediocre. The only really good meal we had was at Chops Grille. Royal Caribbean did not meet up to our expectations in many areas food was just one of them. Eat before you get on the boat would be my advice.

Wow. What time did you board? It sounds like the WJ was closed.

Teddie

Was there a reason you didn't eat lunch the first day in the Windjammer? It offers a much wider selection of food that hot dogs and hamburgers and fries. Did you perhaps board the ship late after the Windjammer had closed for the afternoon. If you were terribly hungry and didn't want to wait until 8:30 to have dinner, the Windjammer should have been available to you by 6:00 pm or so. As far as the MDR food being mediocre, that is a subjective judgement which about as many will agree with you as will strongly disagree.

Nope. Not open for lunch on port days, and I guess technically embarkation day is a port day. Beside, it is a tradition to get the honey stung chicken from the Windjammer for embarkation lunch, isn't it?

I've heard a few jokes about this so-called tradition of honey-stung chicken. I think a lot of people are making fun of it. I tried it from room service (only available on certain ships, I think it says in the menu) and it turned out to be much better than the Windjammer version. But then again, they didn't have to prepare it for 3,000 people.;)

And this answers the OP's question how?
And why the policing of this thread when you don't have "host" below your name? The OP states "looking" at the Enchantment. So if the OP isn't actually booked then other ships which do offer lunch on boarding day in the mdr could be more attractive. Princess also serves lunch in the mdr on boarding day.

Was there a reason you didn't eat lunch the first day in the Windjammer? It offers a much wider selection of food that hot dogs and hamburgers and fries. Did you perhaps board the ship late after the Windjammer had closed for the afternoon. If you were terribly hungry and didn't want to wait until 8:30 to have dinner, the Windjammer should have been available to you by 6:00 pm or so. As far as the MDR food being mediocre, that is a subjective judgement which about as many will agree with you as will strongly disagree.

WJ not open when we boarded at 1:00. Like I said the hamburgers were like hockey pucks and the hot dogs.... bad. Sorry but mediocre is the way i would describe the food in the MDR. We tried breakfast there one morning just to try a sit down with some service and we got bad french toast and my pancakes were served with an open sugar packet on the plate... not appetizing. Sorry telling it like it is.

And why the policing of this thread when you don't have "host" below your name? The OP states "looking" at the Enchantment. So if the OP isn't actually booked then other ships which do offer lunch on boarding day in the mdr could be more attractive. Princess also serves lunch in the mdr on boarding day.

The OP posted on a RCI board and indicated they were planning to go on Enchantment - did you notice no one gave options for Voyager, Freedom or Oasis classes where there are lots more lunch venues open on boarding day? Do you seriously think they are going to switch cruiselines (or even ships) simply to get lunch in the MDR on boarding day?

I've heard a few jokes about this so-called tradition of honey-stung chicken. I think a lot of people are making fun of it. I tried it from room service (only available on certain ships, I think it says in the menu) and it turned out to be much better than the Windjammer version. But then again, they didn't have to prepare it for 3,000 people.;)

To me, honey-stung chicken in the Windjammer is pretty good if you can get it fresh, but not so great if it has sat in the warming tray a while.

Still, my RCCL cruise does not officially start until I eat some honey-stung chicken.

The OP posted on a RCI board and indicated they were planning to go on Enchantment - did you notice no one gave options for Voyager, Freedom or Oasis classes where there are lots more lunch venues open on boarding day? Do you seriously think they are going to switch cruiselines (or even ships) simply to get lunch in the MDR on boarding day?

That's not the issue. You are being snide. And now you twist words to make a point. Planning" (your word) and "looking into" (the OP's words)are not the same.

To me, honey-stung chicken in the Windjammer is pretty good if you can get it fresh, but not so great if it has sat in the warming tray a while.

Still, my RCCL cruise does not officially start until I eat some honey-stung chicken.

I finally had the honey-stung chicken in the WJ on Adventure in April and it was delish. It was fresh since we were among the first hundred people to board the ship. I'm sure that does make a difference. We also had some from room service later in the cruise and it was just as yummy. Have to say I'm looking forward to it on Jewel in October. :D

As for MDR, I've never seen it open on any RCI ship on embarkation day for lunch. But it is open so you can find your table and make table change requests.

Archived