SS Veendam?

rafinmd

For real HAL history experts:

On the Elegant Explorer Aft landing from deck 5 to deck 6 there's a painting with an SS Veendam with side by side twin exhaust flumes like the Grande Dame. I had the feeling the SS Rotterdam V was the only ship (or at least the first) have that feature, and I'm quite sure there was no SS Veendam in service when I sailed Rotterdam V in 1997. I guess the one consistent explanation I see is that there was such an SS Veendam whose service was eclipsed by the Rotterdam at both ends of her life. Is that true, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Roy

Our second cruise on HAL was in 1982. We sailed on the Veendam. She and her (then) sister ship the Volendam, both had what you describe as the side by side exaust flumes. I don't know when they came into service in relation to the Rotterdam V, but the Rotterdam wasn't the only HAL ship at the time to have them.

For real HAL history experts:

On the Elegant Explorer Aft landing from deck 5 to deck 6 there's a painting with an SS Veendam with side by side twin exhaust flumes like the Grande Dame. I had the feeling the SS Rotterdam V was the only ship (or at least the first) have that feature, and I'm quite sure there was no SS Veendam in service when I sailed Rotterdam V in 1997. I guess the one consistent explanation I see is that there was such an SS Veendam whose service was eclipsed by the Rotterdam at both ends of her life. Is that true, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Roy

Roy,

You are talking about my painting of the s.s. VEENDAM passing the old s.s. NIEUW AMSTERDAM on 7th December 1973.... the Nw A on her final cruise.

As others have already posted, there were two liners built for Moore-McCormack Lines, BRASIL launched 16 December 1957 and ARGENTINA launched 12 March, 1958. HAL's fifth ROTTERDAM launched 13 September 1958 was fitted with uptakes similar to those fitted on the two American ships. Although the twins were launched first and ROTTERDAM later I have no idea which design team came up with the twin uptake concept first. The difference between the two designs is that BRASIL abd ARGENTINA.... later VOLENDAM and VEENDAM were built with a kind of dummy funnel midships so although they had the twin uptakes, from a distaance they appeared to have a funnel as well. ROTTERDAM, on the other hand had the two slim uptakes and no immitation funnel at all although to some the midships 'Skyroom' structure did resemble a funnel-type structure.

As built the America ship just had the two uptakes standing alone. ROTTERDAM had a bridge between the two which carried the after signal mast. The American ship were fitted with a similar bridge when they were later bought by HAL.

CANBERRA of 1961 had twin uptakes aft but they were larger than the ROTTERDAM 'pipes' and looked more like funnels. In 1961 there were also two small liners under the Brazilian flag with two uptakes aft and a dummy funnel midships, the ROSE DE FONSECA and the ANNA NERY. Little beauties.

There have been numerous cargo ships with ROTTERDAM type uptakes mostly, cargo/passeenger ships for Hamburg South America Line. I sailed in one of them as Chief Officer, the POLAR URUGUAY. Ours were wite with red tops. Very smart indeed.

Stephen

I think this picture is of the Rotterdam. I took this in 1990 while cruising on the Island Princess near Yakutat Bay Alaska.

Notice the side by side flumes.

Yes, the ship is the georgeous ROTTERDAM. Nice photo!

Just a small FYI.... they are not 'flumes' they 'funnels' or 'flues'.... never 'stacks'. Stacks refer to smoke stacks... made up of stacks of bricks!

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
Here is another link showing info on ss Veendam, starting from 1972 when she was named ss Argentina, built in 1958:

http://eeuwen.home.xs4all.nl/veendam.htm

Joanie

I started working for Moore-McCormack Lines in 1973 just after the last of their passenger ships the Argentina and the Brazil were sold to HAL and renamed the Veendam and ????

At that time HAL was located in the Landmark Building in Stamford CT. along with Moore-McCormack.

Previously, a company benefit for years of service was a free cruise. I missed out on that but I still have some old menus from those days.

Archived