Photos of St. Petersburg, Peterhof and the Summer Palace

Vol fan

I would love to see photos take of St. Petersburg, Peterhof and the Summer Palace in Russia. I have been there twice and just love the countryside and the palaces.

Thanks,

Carole

Google Images is awash with them...

Or try here; very good 'amateurs' site for travel photos...

Enjoy :)

I would love to see photos take of St. Petersburg, Peterhof and the Summer Palace in Russia. I have been there twice and just love the countryside and the palaces.

Thanks,

Carole

Hi Carole

Not photos but a few videos which have some photos in them

Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

I would love to see photos take of St. Petersburg, Peterhof and the Summer Palace in Russia. I have been there twice and just love the countryside and the palaces. Thanks, Carole

Hi, Carole! Len, as always, has shared some nice visual options. Below are the start on some of my pictures from the Peterhof and Catherine's Palace. Both are super spectacular!! Great buildings, architecture, charm, culture, gardens, fountains, etc.

I will do some of what I have in several groups. There is also a "Summer Palace" inside St. Petersburg that Peter used before the Peterhof was built. The Winter Palace (now Hermitage) is famous in St. Petersburg. Peter liked this smaller "get-away" palace along one of the canals in St. Petersburg.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 28,853 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 48,235 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, here is the spectacular Amber Room:

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, here is a small sampling of its historic and highly-detailed furniture:

1A-StP-CathPalIntFurn.jpg

1A-StP-InteriorCath.jpg

1A-StP-CathPalExterior.jpg

Here is the first part of some pictures from the wonderful gardens and fountains at the Peterhof.

Fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

More fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

One of the gold-covered towers of the Palace at the Peterhof:

1A-StP-PeterhofTowers.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof:

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

A carved stone statute in these gardens at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-StatueFount.jpg

Here is phase two from the Peterhof.

Another fountain and statue area for strolling and enjoying on these park grounds:

1A-Peterhof-GardensFount.jpg

These are the surprise fountains that go off on the hour to the delight of kids and others at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-SurpriseFountains.jpg

Here are more of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

PeterhofTopFountCrossView.jpg

PeterhofLowerCanalUp.jpg

PeterhofFountFlowers.jpg

PeterhofTopFountLeft.jpg

Here is the final grouping. Hope this not too much. I have other pictures from both of these famed palaces, their grounds, etc. As traveled out to Catherine's Palace and then over to the Peterhof, we had a sampling of the "countryside". Most of those areas were fairly flat and not that unique of special.

Let us know your reactions and/or any other needs and interests from the St. Petersburg area.

This shows a fountain in front of the Mon Plaisir (from French for "my pleasure") Palace that Peter the Great located on the shore of the gulf and which had a terrace for this single-story brick building. This smaller palace was Peter’s favorite place to be and for being with his family and closest associates. Notice the small rainbow at the base of the fountain?:

PeterhofLowerFountBldg.jpg

PeterhofFlowersFount.jpg

From the dock at the Peterhof, here is the hydrofoil approaching before we started our trip into St. Petersburg. It is a little like boarding a "space ship". Cool and interesting ride!:

1A-StP-Hydrofoil.jpg

From the canal boat ride within St. Petersburg, this is a view of an original palace built by Peter as his "Summer Palace".:

StPHousePeter.jpg

Oh, Terry, a picture of the Amber Room. You are lucky not to be sent to the gulag.

dolittle: I have all of the same pics only yours are better .NO pictures in the subway must be some top secret stuff down there.

JerseyJaguar: What wonderful pictures from everyone.

Appreciate the nice comments on the pictures. It's fun sharing great sights from a wonderful part of the world.

YES' date=' Pam, I was hoping for that scenic trip to Siberia and their gulags, but I made it back safe and sound to Ohio. They haven't come knocking on my door. My camera just goes off, sometimes on accident, when hanging from my neck. [b']Things just happen!![/b]

On the subway, I have read that you are not suppose to take pictures in the subways, but I did in Moscow and it seemed OK there with our guide, etc. The subway stations are very unique and special in Russia.

Below are a few more of my pictures on some other options in St. Petersburg. Happy to share more as needed.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 29,048 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

The Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac.:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Peter and Paul church tower and fortress:

1A-StP-PPFortress.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

An overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Below are a few more of my pictures on some other options in St. Petersburg. Happy to share more as needed.

Terry,

Your wonderful pictures take me back to my wonderful trips. When I was at Peterhof, the fountains had not been restored. They were still working on them. I was there once in the winter and took a ride on a "one horse open sleigh" down to the Gulf of Finland on the grounds. I will never forget it.

I have a picture of the Amber Room also, but not as good as yours.

I do so love St. Petersburg. Did you go to the dungeons at the Peter and Paul Fortress? I was not on a cruise there, but stayed there for several days.

Carole

Thanks,

Carole

Here are a few photos that are a little different than already posted. These were taken July 22-23, 2011:

St Nicholas Cathedral

StNicholasCathedral.jpg

Wedding Party outside St. Nicholas Cathedral

WeddingParty.jpg

Art student copying a painting in the Hermitage

ArtStudentatHermitage.jpg

Large malachite vase at The Hermitage

MalachiteVase.jpg

The Death of Adonis by Mazzuoli at The Hermitage

BoywithWildBoar.jpg

One of the many canals in St. Petersburg

StPetersburgCanal.jpg

Here are a few photos that are a little different than already posted. These were taken July 22-23, 2011:

St Nicholas Cathedral

StNicholasCathedral.jpg

Wedding Party outside St. Nicholas Cathedral

WeddingParty.jpg

Art student copying a painting in the Hermitage

ArtStudentatHermitage.jpg

Large malachite vase at The Hermitage

MalachiteVase.jpg

The Death of Adonis by Mazzuoli at The Hermitage

BoywithWildBoar.jpg

One of the many canals in St. Petersburg

StPetersburgCanal.jpg

Thanks so much, Atwell. The St. Nicholas Cathedral is so beautiful. I bought an old crucifix outside the church when I was there and I still cherish it.

Carole

Thanks,

Carole

Here are just a couple more photos from Peterhof that are different than posted so far:

One of the fountains in the Park at Peterhof

PeterhofFountain.jpg

Fountains in the Park at Peterhof (Checkerboard Fountain on the hill to the right).

Checkerboardfountain.jpg

On the terrace at Monplaisir

MonplaisirTerrace.jpg

• 3 months later...
Ha ha. I, too, got a photo of the amber room. Way too tempting!

Your Colorado address seems to say you are not now suffering in a Russian prison in Siberia. Glad both of us got the visuals and escaped jail time.

Appreciate the added and very nice pictures from in and around St. Petersburg. Wonder, charming city. Below are a few more visuals that I had not posted on this thread. These are from the Hermitage. It is fun sharing, bring back nice memories and/or getting people excited about their upcoming cruise visits there.

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 50,935 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 54,461 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Examining one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes more than just paintings:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

This is the gallery of Generals from Russia’s famed history at the Hermitage:

1A-StP-HermitageGen.jpg

One of the two dozen or so paintings by Rembrandt inside the Hermitage. This is his famed Return of the Prodigal Son that was done shortly before his death in 1669. Our guide explained that this painting reflected his normal power of realism, but added more psychological insights and spiritual awareness at this period in his personal history.:

1A-StP-Hermt-RemProd.jpg

Another example of Hermitage galleries with lots of room and special architecture. The display rooms are all different in their design and style:

1A-StP-Hermt-DisplayRoom.jpg

Inside the Hermitage, this is the spectacular ceiling over the Grand Staircase you enter this Winter Palace for the Czars that is now one of the world’s top museums. Also below is a carved marble statue in its collection.:

HermitCeiling.jpg

HermMarbleStat.jpg

Archived