Airline question

CRUZCOOL

What is the safest way to bring liquor home on the plane? I always want to buy rum and what not in the islands but I am so paranoid that the bottles will break in our luggage. Can we carry on board since its packaged and boxed? Thanks

A lot of the stores will wrap it properly for you since they know you're probably going home on a plane. I then just place it carefully in the middle of all of my clothing in the suitcase. If you're going to bring it home make sure you have a travel scale with you so you can be sure not to go over 50 pounds on each suitcase. We had to carefully distribute 5 bottles to make sure we didn't go over our limits.

Never had a problem with them. Plastic bottles work better but the better stuff is always in glass. Full bottles are actually better than empty because the liquid supports the glass from inside. Unoppened bottles are a bit safer too ar far as cap seal being tighters. I just wrap in clothes and put a note on top so if TSA opens to inspect they know there are glass items within the clothing. Wine I would worry about more due to lower air pressure causing cork to pop out so that always goes ina 2 gallon zip lock bag.

We always just wrap the bottle in lots of layers of clothes and make sure it is in the center of the suitcase. We've never had a problem.

I've done the same thing on numerous occasions and have never had a problem. There's always dirty clothes so I'll wrap a shirt around a bottle and just make sure I space them out from each other. I do the same with the RCCL novelty glasses and have never had a casualty. :)

Can we carry on board since its packaged and boxed?

Those days are long gone. The only way you can take liquor in your hands is when you buy it after security and they wrap it for you (sometimes, you need to pick it up as you board the plane). Remember, though, that if you have a connecting flight and you need to change terminals, you won't get that same liquor through security. There have been stories on these boards of liquor being confiscated on the second leg of a trip even though it was initially purchased after security at another airport.

Anything you buy in the islands must go in your checked luggage.

EDITED to add: Use the EXTRA LARGE Ziploc bags; you can get them at Wal Mart. They are huge. Pack your alcohol, diagonally one to a bag, then double-bag that bag. Wrap clothing around your items and this should minimize breakage and leakage. I do this with my shampoos etc. and it works equally well for liquor.

On occasion. Put the bottles in plastic garbage bags, if they break, it helps contain the damage. We had two bottles of $$$$ lemonchello and two bottles of $$$$$$ olive oil in our luggage, it made it to our first customs stop in the US, where I opened the lugage to check and add some stuff, but between there and Orlando they broke, almost new suit case time, what a mess.

PS all were wrap in bubble wrap etc, and we had accomplished this on other trips so we knew how to pack it.

When I came back from San Juan in 09 I bought some after going through security and they placed inside a canvas bag and ziptied closed. They told me that since I got it after security checkpoint it was ok as long as I did not take them out past security and try and bring back in.

Does RC have the "balloons" for liquor now? On HAL they had these heavy-duty balloon bags for liquor bottles. The bottle fit in the middle and was sealed in a chamber then the area around the bottle was filled with air to act as a cushion. I think they were providing the balloons for free or a small charge if you bought liquor onboard. If you asked them to wrap a bottle you had bought in port, it was either $3 or $3.50. It seemed reasonable and the bottle got home fine.

I've used bubble wrap and 2.5 gallon Ziplock bags in the past. I had a Ziplock pop open once - not sure if I didn't seal it well or if TSA opened it. Fortunately the bottle didn't break so no disaster.

"When I came back from San Juan in 09 I bought some after going through security and they placed inside a canvas bag and ziptied closed. They told me that since I got it after security checkpoint it was ok as long as I did not take them out past security and try and bring back in."

WARNING: this works only on a direct flight. If you need to change planes going through security again, you will have to check in all liquids, doesn't matter if this is duty-free or sealed or what.

I found a picture of the "balloon" for bottles. It's actually called an Air-Paq. The plastic film they use is much tougher than typical bubble wrap. It's not something that you can easily squeeze and pop. It took a box cutter to get the bottle out.

DOUBLEBOTTLESMALL.jpg

I fly with bottles of wine frequently-i have some "bottle armor" that i got in a two pack for about 12 bucks from Magellans. they are heavy plastic,with a layer of bubble cushioning and a VERY heavy zipper seal-most liquor bottles fit in nicely and even if it breaks and leaks-which i have never had happen, the seal keeps the liquid in.

You can also get bottle shipper boxes from wineries and i assume liquor stores that fit bottles in multiples of three-3, 6, 9 or 12-ive checked those as an additional piece of luggage numerous times and never had a bottle break.

Not true. Even if changing planes as long as you dont need to go back thru security you are fine. I changed American Airlines terminals in Dallas and did not have to go back through security so I could still carry my alcohol onto plane that I bought in San Juan Airport.

WARNING: this works only on a direct flight. If you need to change planes going through security again, you will have to check in all liquids, doesn't matter if this is duty-free or sealed or what.

True if you meant nonstop and not "direct". Direct flights are those with one or more stops but no flight number change. Sometimes there can be an aircraft or even a terminal change. So, direct flights could require clearing security mid-trip. I encountered this on a LAX-ORD-LHR direct flight...change of aircraft and terminals at ORD but the same flight number.

Not true. Even if changing planes as long as you dont need to go back thru security you are fine. I changed American Airlines terminals in Dallas and did not have to go back through security so I could still carry my alcohol onto plane that I bought in San Juan Airport.

True if you meant nonstop and not "direct". Direct flights are those with one or more stops but no flight number change. Sometimes there can be an aircraft or even a terminal change. So, direct flights could require clearing security mid-trip. I encountered this on a LAX-ORD-LHR direct flight...change of aircraft and terminals at ORD but the same flight number.

Actually wouldn't the deciding factor be whether or not you had to go through customs? That would be when you have to go back through security. Coming from most foreign ports you'd have to clear customs.

I have also heard that if you fly nonstop to Orlando you still have to go through security just to get out of the building, and if you have more than the 3.4 you have to check it, then pick it up at the luggage carousel. Sounds crazy but I frequent a Jamaican resort website where multiple people swear this is the way it works there. This is for people whose flights terminate in MCO.

Actually wouldn't the deciding factor be whether or not you had to go through customs? That would be when you have to go back through security. Coming from most foreign ports you'd have to clear customs.
That's just one of a number of considerations. You often have to clear security for an international connection, even when not clearing I&C.

I have also heard that if you fly nonstop to Orlando you still have to go through security just to get out of the building, and if you have more than the 3.4 you have to check it, then pick it up at the luggage carousel. Sounds crazy but I frequent a Jamaican resort website where multiple people swear this is the way it works there. This is for people whose flights terminate in MCO.

I believe you are referring to ATL, where you have to clear security to board the train to the outside after clearing customs/immigration. The construction of the new international terminal should alleviate that situation for those who O/D at ATL.

I believe you are referring to ATL, where you have to clear security to board the train to the outside after clearing customs/immigration. The construction of the new international terminal should alleviate that situation for those who O/D at ATL.

Actually it is MCO that the posters on the other board are discussing. There is construction going on there also apparently. If you care to waste a few minutes here you go;

http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php?14377-Those-flying-into-Orlando...&highlight=orlando

Archived