Oceania Free Air

cruiseonly

This year we paid the deviation fee and flew from Toronto to Miami and back. The actual cost was pretty much the same as if we had flown from Detroit and fairly priced but not a deal. I had requested specific flights and received them. The advantage was in being able to fly out of Toronto.

Next year we are doing a TA from Rio to Barcelona and the "free air" (actually $500pp) is an unbelievable bargain.

When I requested the deviation the 270 days in advance allowed, I gave them my preferred itinerary and reasons for chosing those particular flights. They were unable to grant my request but came up with a very reasonable alternative.

My only concern is a 2 hour layover in New York City. If weather is bad this could be a real problem, as it is the last flight to Rio of the day. Oceania will give me a 24 hour phone number to call if I miss my flight but they could not guaranty on the phone that they would put me up in a hotel if necessary.

Does anyone have any experience of missing flights and if so, how did Oceania handle the problem?

My only concern is a 2 hour layover in New York City. If weather is bad this could be a real problem, as it is the last flight to Rio of the day. Oceania will give me a 24 hour phone number to call if I miss my flight but they could not guaranty on the phone that they would put me up in a hotel if necessary.

Why not fly in a day earlier.... less stress

You were already paying the deviation fee

Coming home I do not care but I would hate to miss the ship even if they can get me caught up with her someplace

We just booked the Greek Glory cruise that departs May 6, 2012. We leave from JFK and wanted to arrive Istanbul a day early, so I was pretty specific in knowing which flights I wanted for both ends: JFK to Istanbul and Venice (where the cruise ended) back home to JFK. There are very few direct flights, so we wanted to book early. I called O and spoke to a deviation person who said they would book those flights for me (I gave specific times and flight numbers) and let me know the result in 2-3 days, including if there woudl be any additional charge if the cost exceeded the $1,300 flight credit pp that is allocated. This morning I was sent an email saying I was confirmed on the flights I requested, for the $100 pp deviation fee, as well as an additional $300pp. I went on lineto the Delta web site and saw that the flights cost $1,200 pp if I booked them directly, so I called O and asked why there would be a $300 extra charge if the flight cost less than the allotted $1,300! They had no answer, but cancelled my flight request and deviation fee and credited us the $1,300 pp. I went right on line, booked the flights with Delta and saved both the $100 deviation fee, the $300 pp surchage and extra $100 to boot!

Makes me wonder a little though!

We just booked the Greek Glory cruise that departs May 6, 2012. We leave from JFK and wanted to arrive Istanbul a day early, so I was pretty specific in knowing which flights I wanted for both ends: JFK to Istanbul and Venice (where the cruise ended) back home to JFK. There are very few direct flights, so we wanted to book early. I called O and spoke to a deviation person who said they would book those flights for me (I gave specific times and flight numbers) and let me know the result in 2-3 days, including if there woudl be any additional charge if the cost exceeded the $1,300 flight credit pp that is allocated. This morning I was sent an email saying I was confirmed on the flights I requested, for the $100 pp deviation fee, as well as an additional $300pp. I went on lineto the Delta web site and saw that the flights cost $1,200 pp if I booked them directly, so I called O and asked why there would be a $300 extra charge if the flight cost less than the allotted $1,300! They had no answer, but cancelled my flight request and deviation fee and credited us the $1,300 pp. I went right on line, booked the flights with Delta and saved both the $100 deviation fee, the $300 pp surchage and extra $100 to boot!

The answer is, "free" is not always free....It pays to check out what you can do on your own. Good work!:)

We just booked the Greek Glory cruise that departs May 6, 2012. We leave from JFK and wanted to arrive Istanbul a day early, so I was pretty specific in knowing which flights I wanted for both ends: JFK to Istanbul and Venice (where the cruise ended) back home to JFK. There are very few direct flights, so we wanted to book early. I called O and spoke to a deviation person who said they would book those flights for me (I gave specific times and flight numbers) and let me know the result in 2-3 days, including if there woudl be any additional charge if the cost exceeded the $1,300 flight credit pp that is allocated. This morning I was sent an email saying I was confirmed on the flights I requested, for the $100 pp deviation fee, as well as an additional $300pp. I went on lineto the Delta web site and saw that the flights cost $1,200 pp if I booked them directly, so I called O ancead asked why there would be a $300 extra charge if the flight cost less than the allotted $1,300! They had no answer, but cancelled my flight request and deviation fee and credited us the $1,300 pp. I went right on line, booked the flights with Delta and saved both the $100 deviation fee, the $300 pp surchage and extra $100 to boot!

Not defending Oceania in the least but, you are talking apples vs. oranges in trying to compare fares. Oceania is working with contract rates that are valid for the length of the contract while you may have just lucked into a special fare. Does your fare include taxes, fuel surcharges, etc?? Just checked and found your fare at $1077 round trip but, it has change penalties as well is non-refundable. Oceania's contract allows them to book the flight but, not purchase it until 30 days prior to departure so they have no risk if you cancel or make changes. And at the 30 day mark, you don't get refunded by Oceania so they have no risk. That lack of risk vs. your non refundable ticket costs money. For sure there are cases where you can save money by booking your own ticket and this is one case but, you need to be aware of the risk you are taking with a non-refundable ticket plus, I believe $150 pp change fee.

With all the itinerary changes Oceania is making these days, should your cruise change, your purchased ticket would end up costing you a lot more wherea with Oceania, the risk is all with Oceania.

You may be fine and have no issues but, your savings could turn into a significant cost if things change. Hope everything works out for your.

Why not fly in a day earlier.... less stress

You were already paying the deviation fee

Coming home I do not care but I would hate to miss the ship even if they can get me caught up with her someplace

We are flying in 3 days early and have added 3 days to the end in Barcelona. :) We will not miss the cruise. It is just a matter of an unexpected night in NY. I suspect hotels and taxis there would not be cheap if we had to pay out of pocket. Oceania basically said that they might or might not pay.

I proposed a flight from Toronto with a stop in Sao Paolo, which would have eliminated the second possibility of a "winter related" delay, but Oceania could not arrange this within their airline agreements. In other words, it would cost too much.

Are there any circumstances under which Oceania would not pay for fuel surcharges?

Only when Oceania is not booking the air. In this case, the OP is booking the flights themselves and they are then responsible for all of the air costs. The refunded money is a flat rate and may or may not included fuel surcharges as it is based on the contract rate between Oceania and the airline which most likely doesn't include surcharges but, is really of no matter.

Really good points! I guess we are assuming the risk, but we are saving $500 a person so I think it is worth it, despite the risks you mention.

(savings total $100 deviation fee, $300 for extra charge, and credit of $100 beyond our fare, as the fare is $1,200 and the credit is $1,300.) My fare does include all taxes and fuel charges, but if we did have to cancel there would as you note, be a $150 surcharge to rebook, but even given that, we would still be ahead of the game by my math. Hopefully it will all work out!

That seems like a huge huge air credit per person! We have done O twice to the Med and never got a credit like that per person!

I agree - I was really surprised when I asked and it was that much, but our fare is around $1,200, so it is "market rate" or close to it, I guess.

We are flying in 3 days early and have added 3 days to the end in Barcelona. :) We will not miss the cruise. It is just a matter of an unexpected night in NY. I suspect hotels and taxis there would not be cheap if we had to pay out of pocket. Oceania basically said that they might or might not pay.

Thanks BURM

me bad:D

I misinterpreted your message I thought you were flying in the same day as the cruise

too much heat:D

I am sure you have trip insurance so should cover missed flights etc...

Lyn

Really good points! I guess we are assuming the risk, but we are saving $500 a person so I think it is worth it, despite the risks you mention.

(savings total $100 deviation fee, $300 for extra charge, and credit of $100 beyond our fare, as the fare is $1,200 and the credit is $1,300.) My fare does include all taxes and fuel charges, but if we did have to cancel there would as you note, be a $150 surcharge to rebook, but even given that, we would still be ahead of the game by my math. Hopefully it will all work out!

Glad you understand; just one thing I don't think you do understand. Should you need to change, it most probably will be more that the $150 change fee. You don't get to keep the fare you originally booked at unless by some miracle, it hasn't changed. Most likely your fare would go up and the closer to the date, the more it likely would go up. Basically, you would be applying $1050 (1200-150) to a new reservation based on rates at that time. And, if you cancel, and don't have trip insurance, the $1050 will be valid until mid August next year for another flight at the then going rates. Rebooking will most likely put you behind.

In June 2006 a fellow passenger (who happened to have been a high school classmate of mine) missed the departure of the Dover-Dover (Iceland) cruise due to a severely delayed flight leaving from the Los Angeles area. Another couple were in the same position but I don't know their details.

This was Oceania-booked air.

Calling Oceania customer service was apparently less than useless. They just were of no help. The couple finally caught the ship in Oslo. This was day 3 of the cruise although the first port after Dover.

Adding what they felt was insult to injury they were presented with a bottle of champagne. The reason this didn't please them too much was that both were recovering alcoholics and so couldn't use the champagne ... and Oceania wouldn't substitute anything else.

So the upshot was that they resolved never to sail with Oceania again. I don't know if they have held firm with that resolve, but their main problem was the total lack of assistance they got from Oceania in solving the problem with their flight.

I don't think in their case there were any hotel bills, although there may have been -- it's possible when they finally got a flight out they had a stopover in London before flying to Oslo. I'm writing from memory here since my diary was distinctly scanty.

Thanks BURM

me bad:D

I misinterpreted your message I thought you were flying in the same day as the cruise

too much heat:D

Too right! I cannot imagine flying that distance from a snow belt, expecting to arrive only a few hours before the cruise.

Even flying to MIA we go the day before.

Besides, this is our first time in Rio and even 3 days will not be enough. :(

(Anyone who calls me on my cell now has to endure Barry Manilow singing "Copacabana" until I answer :D)

(Anyone who calls me on my cell now has to endure Barry Manilow singing "Copacabana" until I answer :D)

TOO FUNNY!!

Better than listening to HOT HOT HOT for 30 minutes

A certain tour wholesaler (who shall remain nameless) used this music for agents on hold

Some days I would wake up with that tune in my head!!:eek::eek:

TOO FUNNY!!

Better than listening to HOT HOT HOT for 30 minutes

A certain tour wholesaler (who shall remain nameless) used this music for agents on hold

Some days I would wake up with that tune in my head!!:eek::eek:

Lyn, you gave me a moment of panic when you mentioned trip insurance.

I was recently encouraged by the bank to open a $US account and credit card, which I did. However, your insurance comment reminded me that I had already paid our cruise deposit on my Can card (for which I have travel insurance), although I have now given my TA the US card number for the air deviation and the balance of the cruise.

A phone call to the cc company has assured me that if even part of the trip was paid on my Can card, I would be fully covered! Whew!!

Thank you for bringing this up!

Glad you understand; just one thing I don't think you do understand. Should you need to change, it most probably will be more that the $150 change fee. You don't get to keep the fare you originally booked at unless by some miracle, it hasn't changed. Most likely your fare would go up and the closer to the date, the more it likely would go up. Basically, you would be applying $1050 (1200-150) to a new reservation based on rates at that time. And, if you cancel, and don't have trip insurance, the $1050 will be valid until mid August next year for another flight at the then going rates. Rebooking will most likely put you behind.

Keeping fingers crossed!

Based on personal experience, which is about 2 years ago:

I booked air to London through Oceania and missed the sailing due to weather delays in the US. I caught up with the ship on day 3.

I paid for all meals, a hotel night, etc. (all was covered by my insurance, FYI)

Delta paid for 1 hotel night in the US as I was a continuing passenger with an interupted trip.

Oceania paid for air from the original arrival city (London) to the subsequent city (Edinborough), private transfers from that airport to the hotel (hotel paid for by me, as noted above) and, the next AM, transfer from the hotel to the ship.

Oceania made the Edinborough reservation for me, both hotel and flight. Strangely, there was another couple caught inthe same delay into London who were also flown to Edinborough, but were lodged at a different hotel.

Oceania indicated to me that they had no obligation to pay for anything, not even for what they did pay for.

As for their emergency number personnel: they were unable to make any change in my schedule such as a direct flight to the new embarkation port for me even though that flight left from the same US airport (JFK) at the same time and from the next gate and on the same airline. Why? Because, I was told, they were the emergency crew and not the deviation/air department which was not available other than during normal business hours.

Whether O's policies and practices remain the same today, I do not know.

Adding what they felt was insult to injury they were presented with a bottle of champagne. The reason this didn't please them too much was that both were recovering alcoholics and so couldn't use the champagne ... and Oceania wouldn't substitute anything else.

I can only guess at what they wanted to do with that bottle. ;) I hope Oceania service has improved since then.

I have discovered that my insurance will cover up to $500 for any expenses due to a missed flight including meals, taxis, hotel, etc. That makes me feel a lot better.

"Olé, Olé, Olé"...... Thanks, Lyn. :rolleyes::D

As for their emergency number personnel: they were unable to make any change in my schedule such as a direct flight to the new embarkation port for me even though that flight left from the same US airport (JFK) at the same time and from the next gate and on the same airline. Why? Because, I was told, they were the emergency crew and not the deviation/air department which was not available other than during normal business hours.

Whether O's policies and practices remain the same today, I do not know.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Fetchpeople.

Bottom line:

1. Book through a TA who can help you when problems arise.
  2. Always purchase travel insurance.
  3. Pay the $100 PP deviation fee and go at least one day early.

Lyn, you gave me a moment of panic when you mentioned trip insurance.

I was recently encouraged by the bank to open a $US account and credit card, which

Thank you for bringing this up!

I will have to re-check my USD TD VISA but I think I am covered also

Some things you just never think about until you have a problem

Praying for a sunny day when you have to fly out ;)

Lyn

I will have to re-check my USD TD VISA but I think I am covered also

Some things you just never think about until you have a problem

Praying for a sunny day when you have to fly out ;)

Lyn

Until you brought up the topic, the thought never occurred to me that I would be uninsured had I paid in full on the US card. Both US and Canadian cards are with the same company and come on one statement, yet require separate insurance. Something else to consider when calculating the value of holding a US card.

Archived