Clothing on the Summit---Live Report

kitty9

Actually, it isn't your vacation. And you are interpreting the guide to suit your convenience. You chose the vacation and Celebrity is a more formal line than some others. You didn't have to choose Celebrity, you could have chosen a line that doesn't have as many dress nights. Formal nights mean formal nights shipboard. Not just in the dining room and they mean the entire night. It says this in the dailies and in Celebrity's brochures.

When you go on vacation on a cruise ship you are sharing the ship with others. It is a shared vacation and you are served by people who are serving your fellow passengers onboard. The reason some pick a brand is in hope that they are sailing with people who share the stated lifestyle of the product, not with rebels interesting in crashing the party.

I doubt that most people chose Celebrity because it is a more formal line than others.

As far as sharing a ship on vacation. Yes, but I have found on my last few Celebrity cruises that me, who follows the dress requests is in a minority. I am then the rebel because those who I share the ship usually change to something more casual after dinner and those who I share the ship do follow the formal dress at dinner on formal evenings they ignore the dress on semi-formal evenings.

Allen, actually on my four Carnival cruises, 90%+ did respect the spirit of the dress standards. Very little difference from Royal Caribbean whiich I think is more like 95%. Fact is that on almost any cruiseline the vast majority do respect the expressed dress standard.

hdawson, I agree my statement was probably unfair. I haven't cruised on Carnival. I specified a 3-day Carnival cruise because I had heard that the 3-day itinerary was very popular with college students and those who took the shorter cruises with the attitude of "party 'til you puke". One of my best friends, who is 58 and very conservative in every way, took a week's trip on Carnival last year with his wife and they loved it. My apologies for indeed generalizing and stereotyping.

Allen

Allen. Don't feel bad. Many seem to bash Carnival that have never been on a Carnival cruise or at least not in the last 6 or 8 years. Although Celebrity is my favorite, Carnival has a very good product. I wish Royal Caribbean would send their galley staff to train on Carnival. There is a very good reason that Carnival is the biggest and most sucessful. Product!

hdawson' date=' I agree my statement was probably unfair. I haven't cruised on Carnival. I specified a 3-day Carnival cruise because I had heard that the 3-day itinerary was very popular with college students and those who took the shorter cruises with the attitude of "party 'til you puke". One of my best friends, who is 58 and very conservative in every way, took a week's trip on Carnival last year with his wife and they loved it. My apologies for indeed generalizing and stereotyping.

Allen[/quote']

I've never had much desire to cruise on Carnival either just because of things I've heard. What I'm gathering from the threads here is that it's pretty much luck of the draw to the type of cruise you will have on Carnival but that can be true for any cruiseline. I've made it a point to always ask people from a Carnival ship (sharing trollies and taxis in port) how they are enjoying their cruise. I've never heard a bad response yet. :)

To Flagger and all the others who are bashing me and making comments about how I choose to log on and spend MY money on the ship---it's my friggin money and if I want to waste it on internet time, I will do so without you telling me anything. I don't remember asking Flagger to pay my sign and sail bill, so keep your comments to yourself about how I spend my time on board. Just like you said Flagger, if you want to spend your day reading in your room, no one should tell you what to do, so in the same context, you should accord me the same right without making judgements about how my dollars and time are spent.

The ONLY reason I posted this is to let people know who are obsessing over this dress code thing that they should not worry because I'm seeing everything in terms of dress. Hey, if you want to wear jeans, go for it. If you want to wear shorts, have at it, because it's no big deal. The dress code followers do their thing and the casuals can have theirs also. So don't stress because it does seem that things in the dress code department are loosening up.

Wow Kitty9, great way to spend a vacation.

Breathe deep, exhale...repeat until the urge to scream at someone is gone.

As for everyone else lets just say it's your dime spend it the way you want to.

Now what can we find to complain about?

I would not call it code enforcement. I would call it decourm and respect for the dress of the evening requested.

I will never forget coming down the elevator at 7:30PM with a couple in wet bathing suits with no cover up. This was on the Summit on formal night. Would you walk through a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton in a bathing suit after sundown?

I guess that is why some cruisers elect Seabourn, Silversea, Radisson or Crystal for a bit more of formality.

I would never be anywhere on the ship in a wet bathing suit except by the pool but I have been known to leave the pool area in shorts after first seating has started and not in proper dress. Actually pretty much every day because I'd rather watch the sailaway than be below deck.

I agree that the "Semi-public" areas can easily stay very casual, but the balance of the (for lack of a better term) "organized" public areas such as lounges, theater, etc. come under the guidelines in the dailies.

I find these debates pretty amusing. To me the underlying conflict is not the clothes on the bodies, but the attitudes of people. Let's take it to the extreme.

For the sake of argument, assume you read a brochure about a cruise where the suggested technique for picking your nose is with the right hand. Well, you like the itinerary and price so you go. You get on board and pick your nose with your left hand and tell eveyone else "s$^%w you. It's my vacation and I'll pick my nose however I want". Now nobody really cares how you got that silly booger out of your nose, it's just that you came on a "right-handed" cruise and decided you didn't need to observe the standards. That's inconsiderate of those who chose the "right-handed" cruise and accept and follow the standard behavior.

If you don't like what you read about the standards, don't go. There are plenty of options that will meet your needs and find you with people who think like you do.

I guess that is why some cruisers elect Seabourn, Silversea, Radisson or Crystal for a bit more of formality.

That's what I was getting at when I said there's a line for everyone: if Celebrity isn't formal enough for someone anymore, then they could possibly try one of the ones listed above. If it's too formal for someone else, then they could try one of the other ones that have been suggested on these boards. There's a world of choice out there, after all. One could lament the lessening or increasing of formality in a venue, but really what can effectively be done about it other than looking for a new venue that suits ones needs and desires more closely?

That's what I was getting at when I said there's a line for everyone: if Celebrity isn't formal enough for someone anymore, then they could possibly try one of the ones listed above. If it's too formal for someone else, then they could try one of the other ones that have been suggested on these boards. There's a world of choice out there, after all. One could lament the lessening or increasing of formality in a venue, but really what can effectively be done about it other than looking for a new venue that suits ones needs and desires more closely?

The only thing is those lines are not more formal.

Okay, so is the real problem then that there's no cruise line left to go to and the people most vocal about this dress code thing are actually fighting some kind of last stand battle to preserve the formality on Celebrity because it doesn't exist anywhere else either? That's what it sounds like sometimes, some last battle between the different standards of dress. I find it all highly amusing.

(That said, I'm one of the people who loves dressing up and wish everyone else would love it too, but then my mother used to have us dress for family dinners on Friday nights growing up so I'm used to it and don't find it stuffy or uncomfortable or any of that.)

It might be useful if people here will report how many Celebrity cruises where they observed wholesale disregard for the expected dress standard. I for one have now been on 5 Celebrity cruises and have never experienced that and guess that 98%+ of the guests respect the expected standard. Even in the public areas after dinner, probably 80% or more remain in the dinner attire.

Same here. We were on the Horizon for 21 days and no one ever stood out as not being dressed according to the standard for the evening.

You also don't ever get on a cruise where people are discussing dress codes. Once we're on the ship it's never been an issue. We only do it here because obviously we would rather be on a cruise. :)

I've only been on one Celebrity cruise, and my mom & I both noticed how appropriately everyone we saw dressed on the various nights. We found it delightful, and we appreciated that aspect of the trip so much that we decided to stick with Celebrity for our next few trips. We'll be on Horizon in a few weeks, I'm looking forward to it.

So, was our experience typical? If so, then is it because of all the pre-cruise warnings and debates that go on in places like this board, or is it because people still tend to do the traditional thing anyway on a line that advertises itself as being more traditional?

Archived