Spirit Surprise

justrache

I got off the Spirit yesterday (GREAT SHIP!) but I wanted to tell you all about the surprise I got on embarkation day. I was all prepared to get new updated pictures for you all of the Large Oceanview Room on Deck 8 Forward, but we went to check in, the lady at the desk said that that was no longer our room. We got UPGRADED to Deck 11 Balcony in the aft of the boat!! My first balcony room ever and it was awesome and what a GREAT LOCATION! What a great surprise to start our vacation!!!

Jen

That is a great start to your vacation. Yikes I am sensing some more Aft balcony competition as once you stay in the Aft you won't go back! This too was a best kept secret that has been leaking out. Now, you need to book Aft cabins way in advance to get the cabin you want. :D

Only balconies aft on the Spirit are suites!!! Did you get a suite or did you mean you were located near the back of the ship??? Either way, nice upgrade!!:D

Yes , sorry we were located near the back, about the second or third last balcony room, right near the door to the aft terraces. It is a GREAT spot and a very happy surprise!!!

I now understand the draw of a balcony!

I was just wondering...did they say "why" they changed your room?

They just said it was our lucky day. I didn't mind AT ALL!!! I was wondering though, if I was adamant about staying in my original room, what would have happened because they had given our room to someone else. I know this because he called me to say my luggage was delivered to his stateroom (since our original room tags were put on the bags)

They just said it was our lucky day. I didn't mind AT ALL!!! I was wondering though, if I was adamant about staying in my original room, what would have happened because they had given our room to someone else. I know this because he called me to say my luggage was delivered to his stateroom (since our original room tags were put on the bags)

Oh I see. I was just wondering if they tell you why they decide to move you up. Whether it be because you've sailed X amount of times with them, you bought an expensive room, had so many sailing with you, booked really early or what determines it. Oh well, lucky, lucky you. I'm happy for you. :)

I got off the Spirit yesterday (GREAT SHIP!) but I wanted to tell you all about the surprise I got on embarkation day. I was all prepared to get new updated pictures for you all of the Large Oceanview Room on Deck 8 Forward, but we went to check in, the lady at the desk said that that was no longer our room. We got UPGRADED to Deck 11 Balcony in the aft of the boat!! My first balcony room ever and it was awesome and what a GREAT LOCATION! What a great surprise to start our vacation!!!

Jen

wow, I bet that helped make your cruise. Good for you.

Nita

Very nice for you!

That happened to my brother and his wife one time on RCCL. It was kind of a last minute decision to go on their cruise and they only booked a basic inside room.

Then they went to check in and when the lady was looking at the computer screen she turned to someone else and was talking in a low voice, so my brother & s-i-l were worried that something was wrong.

The lady turned back around and told them they had been upgraded to a better room. That's all they knew then, was that it was a 'better' room.

They were so surprised to enter their better room and find it was a large room - still inside, but it had a good sized window looking down over the courtyard area. I saw the pics of their room and I was so surprised at how big it was and it had multiple sections instead of just being like a studio. They were really happy.

They had never sailed RCCL before, so I know it wasn't b/c they were frequent travelers - it was just their lucky day.

OP: Congrats on the sweet upgrade! I can't wait for my cruise in 11 days. I'm hoping the upgrade or upsell fairy comes my way. That'd be SO AWESOME!!! :D

Think we are booked in 9696...

Do you have any photos or information about the balcony? IE - the view or obstruction to the rear of the ship? What about elevator noise?

Thanx!!

I have pics from our balcony and the inside of the room. I will try and post later when I have a minute!

As for elevator noise it was a non issue...we were near the aft elevators and never heard them or even people coming from them. The only noise we ever heard was the tv from the adjoining room next to us once in a while.

Jen

That was awesome to get that nice surprise at check-in ! I am going back on the Spirit for the 5th time next month. This will be my 20th cruise and I have only been upgraded once and it was on the Carnival Conquest. I am still waiting for NCL to give me an upgrade ! :o

OP, that was quite a pleasant surprise! I am happy for you! We have only received an upgrade once, and that was on the Sky. Virginia, the concierge took us from an inside room to a balcony. (LOVE Virginia)

We are on the 9/4 sailing on the Spirit. We cruise often, and are planning one additional cruise this year, so we booked two cheap inside rooms on the 5th deck.

Yesterday after attending a funeral, I decided life is way to short to be so darn cheap, so I called NCL and changed to balcony rooms for $290 p.p. ($580 per room). The room numbers are 10680 and 10682

I had looked online and had already picked out the balcony rooms. What was available were the rooms at the back of the ship on deck 10 (directly above the OP'S room on deck 11.) I was surprised that these rooms were open on a pretty full sailing.

Question: Located nearby these rooms in the Buccaneer Splash pool, and the Childrens Center. Were these rooms not booked because of excess noise from these public areas? I like kids, no problem if they are noisy during the daytime, so I am thinking it will be a non issue.

For those of you that have been on the Spirit, what do you think?

OP, that was quite a pleasant surprise! I am happy for you! We have only received an upgrade once, and that was on the Sky. Virginia, the concierge took us from an inside room to a balcony. (LOVE Virginia)

We are on the 9/4 sailing on the Spirit. We cruise often, and are planning one additional cruise this year, so we booked two cheap inside rooms on the 5th deck.

Yesterday after attending a funeral, I decided life is way to short to be so darn cheap, so I called NCL and changed to balcony rooms for $290 p.p. ($580 per room). The room numbers are 10680 and 10682

I had looked online and had already picked out the balcony rooms. What was available were the rooms at the back of the ship on deck 10 (directly above the OP'S room on deck 11.) I was surprised that these rooms were open on a pretty full sailing.

Question: Located nearby these rooms in the Buccaneer Splash pool, and the Childrens Center. Were these rooms not booked because of excess noise from these public areas? I like kids, no problem if they are noisy during the daytime, so I am thinking it will be a non issue.

For those of you that have been on the Spirit, what do you think?

Just got back on the 8th from the Spirit. Though we were way forward (9522 balcony) we did have the youngest at the kids play area. As far as noise, it was louder at the adult pool. Plus, they close the pools around 2200 hrs, so when you are sleeping there is no issue, im guessing. My GF and found that the aft section, where the kids pool is, is the best area, to just sit relax, look at the stars and enjoy some good ice cream. The kids inside play area is in the middle and starboard, so even if you were to take a nap and the kids are there you wont hear them.

To the OP, have fun and congrats on the upgrade. We will be sailing the Sun in March and a upgrade would be nice.

Archived