About the food...

AXiDMonica

Everyone is heated about the new menus. I just sailed in June and had a chance to try the new menus. They are NOTHING like the old ones.

For those of you who are saying that "meatloaf is served at fancy places" ... Yes, it is. But the quality and preparation that goes into meatloaf at a fancy restaurant is NOT the same as what is offered onboard.

Also... someone said something along the lines of "i dont see a problem with choices, they have escargot and i would love to try it." Let's put that into perspective -- the escargot they are serving you in the MDR from this new menu is NOWHERE NEAR the same quality, for example, as the escargot they are serving in the Steakhouse 6 decks above on the SAME sailing.

I don't think it's the fact that the choices are "ordinary" ... it's the fact that the QUALITY, TASTE, PREPARATION, etc. is subpar.

(And don't even get me started on the shrimp cocktail thing. I almost cried at dinner one the first night when I tried to order my usual and was told it is no longer on the menu every night. Will 4 shrimp REALLY affect the bottom line? Come on now...)

Thanks for listening. I just had to.

I'm all about trying the menus before passing judgement. A few things catch my interest.

1. I will miss the shrimp cocktails nightly.

2. Think its a BAD idea to do BBQ Ribs on Formal Night.

The rest - I'm open to reviewing myself in 68 days.

I'm all about trying the menus before passing judgement. A few things catch my interest.

BBQ on formal night?!?!!? Very bad idea!

Everyone is heated about the new menus. I just sailed in June and had a chance to try the new menus. They are NOTHING like the old ones.

I don't think it's the fact that the choices are "ordinary" ... it's the fact that the QUALITY, TASTE, PREPARATION, etc. is subpar.

(And don't even get me started on the shrimp cocktail thing. I almost cried at dinner one the first night when I tried to order my usual and was told it is no longer on the menu every night. Will 4 shrimp REALLY affect the bottom line? Come on now...)

Thanks for listening. I just had to.

I respect your opinion/view on quality of the overall food, I don't know firsthand but I will find out for myself next month.(it's been 10 years since my last Carnival cruise).

What i'm curious about is if you thought the shrimp were of a decent quality but all the other things you mentioned aren't?

I have given up getting shrimp cocktail on just about all cruise ships because IMO they are not good. Too small, too warm, too slimy, too over/under cooked, etc.. No?

I wish they were labeled Day 1, Day 2 and so on because it would be easier to keep track of when you scroll down. Which days are the formal days on? I couldn't find the lobster. Was that cut too?

Day 2 & Day 6

I wish they were labeled Day 1, Day 2 and so on because it would be easier to keep track of when you scroll down. Which days are the formal days on? I couldn't find the lobster. Was that cut too?

try looking at the ones posted on John's blog at the Carnival site, a little less confusing. Those are listed in order of days 1 through 7 & the 8th menu is the everyday selections:)

If you look at the Item # of the Menu in JH's Blog, example: D71.0611, D72.0611, etc. it probably means: D (Day), 7 (7 Nite Cruise), 1 (Day 1) and the 0611 (June, 2011) is the revised month of the menus. Hope that helps to figure out which day of the cruise the menu is offered. Lobster is on Day 2.

cruise critic has the most shrimp lovers I have ever seen LOL:)

I eat shrimp a few days a week .Its really not expensive a 2 pound bag is like $15

Im waiting for Carnival to have King crab legs .The big ones ;)

cruise critic has the most shrimp lovers I have ever seen LOL:)

I eat shrimp a few days a week .Its really not expensive a 2 pound bag is like $15

Im waiting for Carnival to have King crab legs .The big ones ;)

I agree, the shrimp cocktail is no better then the shrimp I buy from Costco. The cocktail sauce isn't special either.

It isn't formal night now anyways...its just a step up from cruise casual so I don't see the big deal about the ribs on the menu that night.

Just because it isn't called Formal Night anymore & now called Cruise Elegant night, people still dress up for dinner. I always need 2 napkins when I eat the ribs and the corn.

I'm concerned about the quality of the food on the new menu, so I can see why you were disappointed OP because you didn't feel the food had quality ingredients. Everyone will judge the food differently and has different ideas about quality food. I am hoping the food seems quality to me, but that is one of my concerns... I'm wondering what the quality will be like. OP I know how much you were looking forward to your cruise and I'm sorry you didn't like the quality of the food.

I just don't get all the food stuff! I don't cruise for the food. It is good food and the choices are many. For the prices we pay for these cruises I don't expect gourmet food. Are there really people that expect gourmet meals for the prices we pay for Carnival cruises? I enjoyed every meal I had on my recent Carnival cruise. I didn't ever see meatloaf on the menu and if it was on there I guess I didn't even notice because there were so many other choices. They have great fruit soups and I liked that they offered fruit plates every night. I also enjoyed being able to have Caesar salad every night. The lobster was yummy and we ordered two of them. Everyone at our table of 8 did! If you don't like something you can always get something else so what's the beef?:confused:

I just don't get all the food stuff! I don't cruise for the food. It is good food and the choices are many. For the prices we pay for these cruises I don't expect gourmet food. Are there really people that expect gourmet meals for the prices we pay for Carnival cruises? I enjoyed every meal I had on my recent Carnival cruise. I didn't ever see meatloaf on the menu and if it was on there I guess I didn't even notice because there were so many other choices. They have great fruit soups and I liked that they offered fruit plates every night. I also enjoyed being able to have Caesar salad every night. The lobster was yummy and we ordered two of them. Everyone at our table of 8 did! If you don't like something you can always get something else so what's the beef?:confused:

Some people just like to complain. I've always enjoyed the food on Carnival also, possibly because our expectations are correctly set. Some of the food is good and some is very good, so I'm happy.

I think the OP is just venting. Food is a less important part of the experience for some and more important for others. OP I love food and I hear you. It is an important part of my experience along side other aspects of cruising (ie love being a floating resort and just relaxing, love going to different countries in one trip, etc). Poster below. You don't get the food stuff that's fine. We all have different opinions and priorities. I'm glad you enjoy the choices you get and I hope I will too!

Do you people not read the newspaper? 29,000 Somali children are believed to have died from starvation in the last 90 days alone, and there are five or six threads on these boards, filled with whining about menu changes? Not to get on a soap box or anything, but I think that's pretty pathetic. Because I'm lucky enough to be able to go on a cruise or two every year, I'm going to go on over to Care or Mercy Corps website and donate $50 or $100 to the cause; I urge you to do the same. Some poor, starving children in Africa thank you.

I'm having ribs with my lobster on formal night, even if I have to wrap some up and take them with me!:eek:

We were on the Glory 8/8. The food in the MDR was very good. Lobster and shrimp were on the menu on elegant night. I found nothing to complain about! Service was outstanding.

I have sailed on Celebrity and NCL in the past. This was our 5th Carnival cruise. We were very impressed with the Glory.

To anyone interested....the steakhouse was excellent!

great post.... shoot, at home I will eat a sandwich and soup and be happy so pretty much anything that taste good and fills me up i'm happy about.

people are having a fit over the meatloaf on the menu... if you don't want it, don't order it... plain and simple, it's not the only thing on the menu but it seems people are griping about the "comfort menu". they still have most of the regular food too. :)

Archived