About the food...

AXiDMonica

[quote name='zqvol']and this attitude is a major source of why Carnival can get away with dumbing down the entire fleet.[/quote]

Agreed. One of the highlights of a cruise has been dining. With the advent of elegant rather than formal the experience has changed a lot. I cruised in 1963 on the Queen Elizabeth. They had different classes, and still do, but the dining was spectacular. From others I've met in ports who are on a Cunard ship, it still is.

They should be held to a high standard.

We are going on a Princess Cruise in two weeks in New England and looking forward to the food. Ninety days later we will be on the Carnival Freedom and looking forward to having fun!!! I have actually lost weight on the last two cruises. I don't pass up any courses, eat what I like and don't get extras. There will always be something worth eating, so everyone needs to quit stressing about food.

[quote name='crusinpsychRN']Agreed. One of the highlights of a cruise has been dining. With the advent of elegant rather than formal the experience has changed a lot. I cruised in 1963 on the Queen Elizabeth. They had different classes, and still do, but the dining was spectacular. From others I've met in ports who are on a Cunard ship, it still is.

They should be held to a high standard.[/quote]

Who should be held to a higher standard? I hope you're not thinking that CCL should offer any dining experience close to Cunard. That's like staying at La Quinta and complaining that they don't treat you like they do on the club floor at the four seasons......

All of the people who are complaining about the decline in the quality of the food served in the MDR have to realize that Carnival is in business to make a profit and in order to not raise prices, they need to reduce costs. It's basic economics. If people want to sail on a line that's known for great food, switch to Celebrity. If they want to stay on Carnival, upgrade to the Steakhouse on 2 or 3 of the non cruise elegant nights. For the extra 60 or 90 bucks, it is worth it. If you are still unhappy, there are other cruise lines and other methods of vacationing.

After 19 years of cruising, finally tried Carnival 1 1/2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. So, I went two more times.

Have not gone since "menus changed." Besides fewer days for shrimp cocktail and a non mandatory meatloaf offering, can someone please tell me what exactly has changed that has generated this kind of response?

Anything very significant?

[quote name='cantwaitt']After 19 years of cruising, finally tried Carnival 1 1/2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. So, I went two more times.

Have not gone since "menus changed." Besides fewer days for shrimp cocktail and a non mandatory meatloaf offering, can someone please tell me what exactly has changed that has generated this kind of response?

Anything very significant?[/quote]

that's all I can see so i'm not sure why so many people are up-in-arms over this... oh..and some don't like the way the new menu looks... :rolleyes:

Just went on Royal Caruibbean this summer for first time since 2000. I have got to say it is the most over-rated cruise line.

Food in dining room no better than Carnival and others, but fewer choices.

Lunch buffet had limited offerings for a cruise ship and the food reminded me of the Old Country Buffet.

You no longer can get smoked salmon for breakfast in the buffet. Alas, a RCL regular told me on Day 6 to get smoked salmon you have to ask. So, only those in the know get a private deal. Nice!

I had late seating but half the shows were before dinner, defeating the purpose of late seating.

Promenade was much ado about nothing.

Carnival's buffet has much more variety--the deli, daily changes at the international station. On the Valor I had stir fry for lunch (RCL offers it at dinner. Big deal), and a Moe's-like burrito.

RCL never again.

We sailed the Pride in June and it has caused us to never want to sail Carnival again. Have been on 6 Carnival cruises and the food has declined each time. This was the last for us. It was horrible. Grissely ribs. Rubbery steak. Uncooked fish. Just awful!!! Yes of course we sent it back and to no improvement. I AM willing to spend more for a cruise IF the food was improved. Guess we will go back to RC or Princess.

[quote name='cantwaitt']After 19 years of cruising, finally tried Carnival 1 1/2 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. So, I went two more times.

The main change in my opinion happened awhile ago when Carnival downgraded the NY Strip Steak to a Flat Iron Steak that is available on the daily choice menu. The shrimpgate issue is all over 5 small crustaceans that would not equal 2 jumbo shrimp if they were able to be merged together.

The new comfort food selections are a cost saver, but at the same time they fill a void known as the finicky child/teenager who does not find anything appealing on the menu. The comfort foods are cheap, but you are not forced to order them. It does go with the relaxing dress code in the MDR. The sad thing is that if you want to dine like in the old days, you have to pay the extra 30 bucks and go to the steakhouse. But, in order to control costs, it's either save money on food or charge more to the client to sail. Carnival has decided on the former instead of the latter.

[quote name='Boozebabe']We sailed the Pride in June and it has caused us to never want to sail Carnival again. Have been on 6 Carnival cruises and the food has declined each time. This was the last for us. It was horrible. Grissely ribs. Rubbery steak. Uncooked fish. Just awful!!! Yes of course we sent it back and to no improvement. I AM willing to spend more for a cruise IF the food was improved. Guess we will go back to RC or Princess.[/quote]

Seems there have been a plethora of complaints about Pride of late....

I mentioned on my last critique that Carnival had not just cut the fat from there shipboard food and staff but, cut deeply into the meat and bone. The new menue went from elegant to corner diner quality. Still many choices but the variety and quality just aren't there anymore.

[quote name='Sailbear']I mentioned on my last critique that Carnival had not just cut the fat from there shipboard food and staff but, cut deeply into the meat and bone. The new menue went from elegant to corner diner quality. Still many choices but the variety and quality just aren't there anymore.[/quote]

waited 7 years for that first post, eh?

Nope - the new menus are a lot more like the old ones than they are different. You'll see plenty of the same dishes on both.

[quote name='SNJCruisers']The main change in my opinion happened awhile ago when Carnival downgraded the NY Strip Steak to a Flat Iron Steak that is available on the daily choice menu. The shrimpgate issue is all over 5 small crustaceans that would not equal 2 jumbo shrimp if they were able to be merged together.

The new comfort food selections are a cost saver, but at the same time they fill a void known as the finicky child/teenager who does not find anything appealing on the menu. The comfort foods are cheap, but you are not forced to order them. It does go with the relaxing dress code in the MDR. The sad thing is that if you want to dine like in the old days, you have to pay the extra 30 bucks and go to the steakhouse. But, in order to control costs, it's either save money on food or charge more to the client to sail. Carnival has decided on the former instead of the latter.[/quote]

If I had eaten in the steakhouse every night of my last 8-night cruise on Carnival Freedom, I still would have spent $1000 less than it cost me to take my first cruise on the late, lamented Norway....and Carnival's MDR food was better to boot. If it cost $1500 apiece to cruise but the food was top notch, people would be whining about how much the cruise cost, and can't the cruise line save some $ on the food??? Geez Louise....

[quote name='Sailbear']I mentioned on my last critique that Carnival had not just cut the fat from there shipboard food and staff but, cut deeply into the meat and bone. The new menue went from elegant to corner diner quality. Still many choices but the variety and quality just aren't there anymore.[/quote]

Just where might we find that last critique, my only-one-post friend?

The way I look at it is.I don't have to shop for it don't have to cook and I will walk away from the dishes.I see NO reason to worry about eating (shrimp) something that eats the garbage from the bottom of some DIRTY pond in the far east.

Just where might we find that last critique, my only-one-post friend?[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI... I had about 600 posts that disappeared after not logging in for awhile. It happens. I have been on since 02 and had a LOT more than what it shows now.

Archived