West Maui Drive

lv2bgoofy

We are driving to Lahaina to take a whale watching tour and I am trying to decide if we should drive the West end of Maui to get back to the ship through Kaanapali, Kapalua, Kahakuoloa and back to the ship or should we head towards Haleakala Crater?

Our whale watching tour starts at 11:30 and we will be done at 1:30 - we plan on being in Lahaina by 9 so we will have time to walk around and enjoy Lahaina before the tour....just don't know if the west side of Maui is worth the drive?

Thanks so much.

If you are talking about the route that goes northerly out of Kahalui, and Kapalua is the first community you reach (as opposed to southerly and going by Mala'aaea), that route has some beauty. However, check with the rental car agency. Some have put that route off limits recently.

There are some beautiful bays and sights as you go Northwest(left out of Lahaina) of Lahaina

Kaanapali beach, Black Rock, Whalers village, Kapalua bay,Honolu'a bay and the Nakalele blowhole.

But you cant drive around this end you will need to turn around and drive back south

A little past this area (Nakalele point) the road does get difficult to drive and I dont recommend it.

This is the only part of the Island I havnt driven. Driving past Hana going around the southend is easy compared to this road, driving around the north end.

we've driven that road twice. The most recent was Sept '09. It gets very narrow w/ hairpin turns, but definitely driveable. I do believe our rental car agency restricted access to that road. What that means that if you have a problem w/ the car on the road, they won't come and get you. You wouldn't be covered under AAA either since you violated the terms of your rental agreement. So it would be a very expensive tow if you had a problem.

THe scenary is beautiful. If I only had 1 day, I would prob go to the crater instead.

Thanks everyone....I think instead of driving part of the way and turning around I will just go for the crater....we will only have about 4 hours after our whale watching to get back to the ship so that sounds like the better plan.

Thanks everyone....I think instead of driving part of the way and turning around I will just go for the crater....we will only have about 4 hours after our whale watching to get back to the ship so that sounds like the better plan.

4 hours is not enough time to allow anyway. It actually means a LOT more, if you violate your contract- if you have an accident, only you are going to pay for it, all insurance is void. It is one lane in many sections. I have driven it, with an approved car, and ran into an accident- front tires were hanging over the cliff, and had to back down a one way section over a mile due to no area to turn around. :)

4 I have driven it, with an approved car, and ran into an accident- front tires were hanging over the cliff, and had to back down a one way section over a mile due to no area to turn around. :)

Yikes! I drove that section going forward, which was challenging enough (especially for my passinger wife as she knows how much I enjoy the views). I can't imagine backing up to a turnaround.

Note in addition to seeing the view at the crater you can also wander around the area looking at a few exhibits in one of the buildings (at least we we did that a few years back). Also factor in the time needed to return the car which is relatively easy at the Kahului Airport (give youself 30 minutes,) if that is where you will rent from. Note that google maps does give the Lahaina/"Haleakala National Park Visitor Center"/OGG airppot at 3.5 hours so you will not have much extra time if you run late or stop for many pictures on the way up.

Archived