CPAP users HELP

My DH was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and is required to use a CPAP machine. Will there be a problem with having to plug it into and outlet at night? We will be in a large balcony cabin and I am concerned about having an outlet near the bed. We actually have 2 cabins 7204 & 7202 as we are taking our teenage nephews. So if anyone has info regarding the availability of outlets in either cabin would appreciate it.

My DH has just been given the same news and machine...:eek:..He hates it so far...We have made the decision to not take it with us on our 7 night cruise next week..However you should contact the Special Needs Dept. my understanding is they will provide you with a powerstrip and anything else you may need...Best of luck..:)

No problem with using the CPAP on your cruise! Just contact RCCL's Special Needs Department and ask them to provide an extension cord for your trip. They will also provide distilled water, if you ask. If these items aren't in your cabin upon your arrival, call the Customer Service desk to remind them to bring the items before you go to bed.

When I fly, I bring along a statement of need from my doctor, showing in writing that I need the CPAP. I have it handy in case there's any questions when I go through airport security, which can and will request that the unit be removed from its carrier so it can be checked out with special wipes (that cause no harm to the unit).

Using the CPAP will helo your husband enjoy his cruise so much more - he'll get a good night's rest and be alert throughout the day. It's a win-win!

Have a great cruise!

Ashland - I understand your husband's aversion to using a CPAP, but please ask him to read up on the things that happens to his body during periods of apnea.

He is opening the door to pulmonary hypertension, strokes and other avoidable life-threatening consequenses.

I personally know how difficult it can be to adapt to a CPAP mask, but it can be done with patience and practice...

Good luck!!!

I've had one for years. He will like it once he gets used to it. Either the special needs department or ask the cabin steward for an extension cord. I bring along an extra one just in case. I run it from the outlet.

Something to note if flying, you don't have to count your CPAP machine & bag as a carryon. Me personally, I don't like the hassle of an extra bag it so I use a 2 gallon ziplock bag and put it in my carryon. It does have to be removed for scanning through TSA. I've never carried a Dr.'s note. Don't think that is necessary as I travel for business and it's never been requested. Most TSA agents know what it is.

Ashland - I understand your husband's aversion to using a CPAP, but please ask him to read up on the things that happens to his body during periods of apnea.

He is opening the door to pulmonary hypertension, strokes and other avoidable life-threatening consequenses.

I personally know how difficult it can be to adapt to a CPAP mask, but it can be done with patience and practice...

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much.....He does understand..He spent 2 seperate nights at a sleep center and we have a wonderful physician..He has only been using it for a week so the timing couldn't have been worse he thinks since we are leaving next Friday..But we are now checking in to the "Provent Therapy" system it doesn't use the CPAP machine..Anyone have experience with this ?

Thanks everyone, can always count on CC friends! So far he isn't having issues with the machine and I hope that continues. I actually have been sleeping better since I don't have to worry about him stopping breathing. He had a double bypass a few years ago and this developed since so anything that helps is a must!!

Again thanks to one and all!!!!

Using the CPAP will helo your husband enjoy his cruise so much more - he'll get a good night's rest and be alert throughout the day. It's a win-win!

Have a great cruise!

So true. My husband used to fall asleep on the couch all the time, he's only in his early 30's. Finally went to the doctor and has been using his machine for 3-4 months and he loves it. He adjusted quickly to it but he only has the mask that goes over his nose not the full face one. I have already contacted Royal and they emailed me that distilled water and an extension cord will be in our room.

I even said maybe for the week he would be fine without it so that we would have one less thing to lug with us but he said he will be bringing it because he feels so much better now.

I take my cpap everywhere I go including cruises. I have lost a very close friend who was only 38 years old because he wouldn't use a cpap machine.

if you google breeze cpap mask you wil find a very easy to wear mask that I highly recommend I think the name of th ecompany I ordered it form is direct medical and no I don't work for for the company I am just concerned for for your safety.

My husband has been using his machine for about a year now. It took a little getting used to, but now he feels so much better. On our last cruise he FORGOT IT! It was packed up but never made it into the car. It was the one downside of the cruise...neither of us slept the entire vacation! His snoring was very disruptive, and he kept waking both of us up every time he stopped breathing. Please bring it along! As others have said, special needs department will be very helpful!!

My DH has just been given the same news and machine...:eek:..He hates it so far...We have made the decision to not take it with us on our 7 night cruise next week..However you should contact the Special Needs Dept. my understanding is they will provide you with a powerstrip and anything else you may need...Best of luck..:)

If he hates it, he probably has the wrong mask. Maybe the wrong pillow.

Try Try Try.

I have sleep Apnea and just wanted to echo what others have said..Always bring and always use the CPAP Machine! It really doesn't take long to become accustomed to using it..and the improved sleep quality and benefits are close to miraculous!

Not to mention my wife sleeps better now as well since I no longer have house rattling snoring episodes! :D

Have been on a CPAP for 3 years now, love it. Love feeling refreshed. On our RCCL cruise out of San Juan in February, we had no issues getting an extension cord or distilled water, pretty common request these days I bet!

He may be better off using the 7 day cruise to get used to the machine. Much better to do that while on vacation where you can sleep late if you don't sleep well, as opposed to having to get up and go to work. You may sleep better as well......

If he hates it, he probably has the wrong mask. Maybe the wrong pillow.

Try Try Try.

Full face mask is what our insurance (HMO) provided..checking into options...He would never give up his feather pillow..;)

I've been using a CPAP for about 2 years now. It does take a lot of getting used to. I kept feeling like I couldn't breathe and ripping off the mask, only to wake myself up later and putting it back on. My doctor said I stopped breathing 73 times an hour - that was scary enough to make me stick with it. I did eventually get used to it and now hate to sleep without it. Tell him to stick with it - he will get used to it and soon won't want to sleep without either.

As for plugging it in, you will need an extension cord. I've been hearing reports of extension cords being confiscated recently. Better to be safe than sorry and contact special needs and have an extension cord waiting for you in your cabin.

SG

Re: CPAP machines, the cruise line RCL (don't know about the others) will supply you with distilled water and an extension cord and depending on where the beds are and where your sleeping they will also tape the cord to the floor so you do not fall over it. If the distilled water and extension is not in your room just ask the cabin steward and they will have it in your room shortly. Also for RCL email special needs dept. they will email you a confirmation back ( I have never filled out these forms, I was given one from a TA but decided not to fill it out) had not a problem with the email I just had 2 responses due to cruises 9/26 and 10/8 take this with you and show the cabin steward if needed. Never had a problem. It's best to use their extension cord should there be a problem with a shortage, fire, etc. It's their equipment for whatever cause not yours. Best to always be on the safer side. I would not leave the CPAP at home take it with you. Check your airline some will allow you to carry it on as a separate item some will not. I have found the US airlines will not let you carry this on as a separate item. Check your airline first. Have a safe trip.

just thought I would chime in also...I have had mine for 6 years now and it is the best thing I ever did...I use nose pillows and not a full mask...but that is why I am up now...I only need 6 hours sleep and I wake up refreshed...so refreshed that I can only drink decaf coffee...always bring it and rccl always has distilled water for me but I keep an extension cord in my bag...

a good nights sleep is a necessity...good night!

I have had a C-PAP for 8 yrs and the 1st time I used it was on a RCI cruise. It was great as I was able to get used to it on vacation and found it to be a Godsend for an actual good nights sleep.. RCI is very accomodating with distilled water and powercords just ask. When traveling on ANY airline the C-PAP is a medical assist device and NOT counted as a piece of carry on luggage just as a wheelchair is not counted. I work for an airline so am familiar about rules concerning C-PAP devices. If you put your C-pap in a rollerboard or other luggage than that piece is counted.. The C-PAP must be in its own case seperate to not be counted as luggage or a carryon. USE your C-PAP and have a wonderful restful vacation.:)

My DH was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and is required to use a CPAP machine. Will there be a problem with having to plug it into and outlet at night? We will be in a large balcony cabin and I am concerned about having an outlet near the bed. We actually have 2 cabins 7204 & 7202 as we are taking our teenage nephews. So if anyone has info regarding the availability of outlets in either cabin would appreciate it.

I've been a CPAP user for several years and just want to put in a big AGREE regarding the benefits and proper mask fit.

As for outlets on a cruise, if you bring your own extension cord (we do) be aware that it can be quite a stretch to reach an available outlet. Many of the ships do not have outlets by the bed --- only on the counter of the vanity/desk.

Hope you folks have a wonderful cruise and by using the machine BOTH of you will most certainly get restful sleep!

The c-Pap machine itself has never been questioned by any of the cruise lines or airlines we have traveled. What has been questioned and almost confiscated was the power strip and extension cord that I always carry in the travel bag provided for the c-Pap machine.

With only one outlet in some of the cabins we have been in - I could not plug in both the c-Pap machine and the humidifier. On most cruise ships I also needed the extension cord to reach the only outlet - which was accross the room from the bed.

I now carry a statement from my Neurologist (in my travel bag) that states that not only is the c-Pap machine medically necessary but both the extension cord and the power strip are required equipment to run the machine properly. I have submitted the letter to the "Special Needs Department" of each cruise line. Now when I am questioned about the power strip/extension cord - I pull out the letter and the e-mail confirmation from "Special Needs" and I am waived through security.

You mentioned you will be on the Allure - the Allure is the only ship we have sailed where there is an outlet near the bed. In our cabin the outlet was actually centered on the wall behind the bed, just under the level of the mattress.

Hi

Just sailed the Allure on July 31st. Had stateroom attendant supply me with distilled water and needed an extension cord to plug in behind bed.

Had no issues. And since we were flying had letter from Doctor in case I was questioned my TSA agents. No Problems.

Just have a fabulous cruise.

I use a CPAP and going on first cruise in 3 weeks on the Enchantment. I had notified special services because I need distilled water. They sent me back a very nice email confirming that the water would be in my stateroom. They also stated: "we recommend bringing an extension cord for the CPAP machine, to get it close enough to the guest."

Needless to say, I have decided to print this out and highlight that statement and have it ready when I arrive at the pier!

Mindy

Usually RCI will provide the extension cord as they do not want you to bring an cord they are unsure of..In the last 3 years I have yet to use my own cord as the room steward will replace yours for one of theirs and it is a heavier cord than needed for the machine but very safe..:)..Just ask for a cord and they will get you one for your cruise..:)

Archived