CPAP users HELP

Hi,

My DH and I both sleep with CPAP. We take our own extension cord to be on the safe side. We have never had any problems. Yes you have to take it out going through airport security. If it is in it's own bag and only CPAP supplies are in the bag it does not count as a carry on. We both just put ours in our carry on bags anyway.

Relax and have a fantastic trip!

Myra

I have been using a CPAP for just over 15 years, on cruise ships, in Europe, and Mexico, the only place I haven't used tap water for my humidifier is Mexico, as for extension cords, I carry my own and have never had any problems.

Cato

Completed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Fifth Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Seventh cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

Eighth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

Ninth cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

Tenth & Eleventh cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Twelfth & Thirteenth cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

Fourteenth & Fifteenth cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

Sixteenth cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

Seventeenth & Eighteenth cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

I have traveled with CPAP for many years without any difficulty. I took machine to Europe and Asia and the hotels all provided me with the outlet adjustments no problems. On cruises had distilled water and extension cord provided. I also have a cord that I always pack...just in case. With that being said I hate the machine but it has made my health and sleep 100% better.

Everyone above has said distilled water...we were told any bottled water would work.....:confused:

Nope bottled water can leave calcium on the metal of your humidifier. Trust me on this one, I've been using a CPAP for 10 years and tried using bottle water more than once and there was always a nice layer of white dust when I dried it out later. Stick to the distilled.

I too have requested an extension and water setup for my cruise. Odd thing is on the website reservation listing under "Preferences & Requests" I see...

Cruise Celebrations: Anniversary , Disabled

OK it is our Anniversary but I wouldn't call needing a CPAP a disability and what an strange place to put it?

Just thought you travelers would like to know that there is a small travel CPAP machine that has an 8 hour battery back up. I bought it for my son when he needed to use the CPAP. Since he is a child i was afraid of what could happen when the power went out. It is made by AEIOmed. I had to order it on line since it wasnt carried in our state but it was only 419$ for the machine the battery and the heated water part. If you had one of these you could charge it during the day and not worry about tripping over the cord. You could also by an extra charger that would charge it in your car. It was very light and about 4x4x7 inches. If the power goes out it automatically switches to battery.

My DH is on his first week with it and so far so good. He has the nose only one. I sleep better and I am sure he will once he gets use to it. I have told him what everyone has said and he was amazed that it was from CC.

This is all so great to know, I'm glad the question was asked!!!

He may be better off using the 7 day cruise to get used to the machine. Much better to do that while on vacation where you can sleep late if you don't sleep well, as opposed to having to get up and go to work. You may sleep better as well......

What a GREAT point.

Everyone above has said distilled water...we were told any bottled water would work.....:confused:

From all you've said, I'm wondering if the sleep center and doctor your husband went to were any good.

DH had two separate studies, and a few weeks after starting with the mask (full face, frighteningly high pressure, but not as frightening as the 110 times per hour he was waking up...) he had a followup appt where they lowered his pressure a bit, had a chance to talk about things, talked about his mask, etc. Hopefully your husband's sleep center will provide such appointments?

It took me over a year to get used to my CPAP. Persistence is important for success, and even if he used it for a little each night he will get there.

On topic, I recommend getting an extension cord and keep it in his CPAP carry case. This is good not just for the ship, but hotels as well.

Edit: when I was on the cruise, I used tap water. There was a little build up, but not as bad as regular tap water. A little vinegar and a toothbrush cleans it up and makes traveling convenient.

A few points:

1. Most CPAP machines have a "RAMP" feature.

This is a common feature on most CPAP machines. The ramp function increases the pressure gradually until the machine reaches the prescribed pressure. Some users find this gradual increase to the prescribed pressure more comfortable. The ramp time is usually measured in 5-minute intervals and typically ranges between 5 and 45 minutes to reach the prescribed pressure setting.

Example: Ramp Starting point: 4cm H2O. Ramp Time: 20 Minutes. Prescribed pressure: 10cm H2O. This means the CPAP machine would start at 4cm H2O and over the next 20 minutes gradually increase the pressure to 10cm H2O.

2. I do better on my Bi-PAP machine than I did on a CPAP.

The BiPAP machines allows the air that is delivered through the mask to be set at one pressure for inhaling and another for exhaling. This makes BiPAP much easier for users to adapt to and also allows neuromuscular disease sufferers to use the device. These dual settings also allow people who use the device to get more air in and out of the lungs.

My two cents, I am CPAP user and I can not live without it. It took a long time to get use it but now I can not think of being without it.

I feel more rested and a better mood everyday. I agree with a previous poster that even if he start to uses for a few hours a day he will see how much better he starts to feel, then start using every night.

I use a full face mask because I open my mouth during my sleep.

The only time I do not take my CPAP is if I am going on an overnight trip, but longer than that I always take it.

Be patient with him, he will get use to it.

Under the bed in the Allure there is a plug so it is easier to use than having the extension cord accross the room.

Have a great trip.

My DH was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and is required to use a CPAP machine. Will there be a problem with having to plug it into and outlet at night? We will be in a large balcony cabin and I am concerned about having an outlet near the bed. We actually have 2 cabins 7204 & 7202 as we are taking our teenage nephews. So if anyone has info regarding the availability of outlets in either cabin would appreciate it.

Not at all- my travel friend also has a CPAP machine and she is a diamond plus member and always has it with her and if you request- they will also bring you the distilled water you need for it. She uses an extension cord also.

On my Carnival Conquest the one night stand between the bed and the window had a fix (non-movable) lamp on it, and my CPAP would not fit on the table. I switched bed sides and put the CPAP on the sofa next to the bed. Now, on RCCL I have never seen fixed lamp on the table, so it should not be a problem.

In RCCL cabins I've had, there is only one plug at the back of the desk/dressing table (2 outlets, one plug). That's why you will need the extension cord.

No problem with using the CPAP on your cruise! Just contact RCCL's Special Needs Department and ask them to provide an extension cord for your trip. They will also provide distilled water, if you ask. If these items aren't in your cabin upon your arrival, call the Customer Service desk to remind them to bring the items before you go to bed.

When I fly, I bring along a statement of need from my doctor, showing in writing that I need the CPAP. I have it handy in case there's any questions when I go through airport security, which can and will request that the unit be removed from its carrier so it can be checked out with special wipes (that cause no harm to the unit).

Using the CPAP will helo your husband enjoy his cruise so much more - he'll get a good night's rest and be alert throughout the day. It's a win-win!

Have a great cruise!

Last year was the first time for him too. It really is not a pain in the neck to travel with. Yes, they want to see it but that is no different than a laptop computer. Send an email to special_needs@rccl.com and tell them that you need a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord. The worse that will happen is that it's not there when you get to the cabin. Just make the call as stated above and everything will be fine. The rooms are not that big that the cord will not make it to the outlet at the vanity. It does work easier if he is sleeping on the side of the bed closest to the couch though. Just remember not to trip over it in the middle of the night if one of you are making a trek to the bathroom. ;) :D

AJRimmer - I was reading back through the posts since mine and I wanted to mention something...sleep apnea is indeed considered a disability and is covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Few people know this, and even fewer employers do. Because of the ADA, my employer had to take me off steady night shift (after 8+years) and put me on day shift because I was unable to follow my doctor's advice to maintain a set bedtime. Without the ADA, I would never have been able to get a handle on my severe sleep apnea....

Ashland - I understand your husband's aversion to using a CPAP, but please ask him to read up on the things that happens to his body during periods of apnea.

He is opening the door to pulmonary hypertension, strokes and other avoidable life-threatening consequenses.

I personally know how difficult it can be to adapt to a CPAP mask, but it can be done with patience and practice...

Good luck!!!

My MIL just passed from pulm hypertension most likely caused by a late diagnosis of sleep apnea. There is no cure. She was only 62.

My dh uses a cpap and we didn't always bring the machine with us on cruises - now we always do - not only did he feel terrible without it, I didn't sleep due to his snoring, so it put a real damper on our vacation.

They are a pain to travel with, but it's a small inconvenience when you consider the alternative.

My DH was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and is required to use a CPAP machine. Will there be a problem with having to plug it into and outlet at night? We will be in a large balcony cabin and I am concerned about having an outlet near the bed. We actually have 2 cabins 7204 & 7202 as we are taking our teenage nephews. So if anyone has info regarding the availability of outlets in either cabin would appreciate it.

I haven't read all the replies yet, but in case nobody said, it contact the guest with special needs group on the RC website and let them know. They will have an extension coard that reaches the bed and if your CPAP uses a humidifier, they will supply a bottle of distilled water for the cruise.

Also be aware that the airline are not allowed to count the machine as a carry on, so he can have another carry one when traveling by air.

I used mine for 3 cruises, but anm glad to say I have freed myself from the CPAP beast for ever!

AJRimmer - I was reading back through the posts since mine and I wanted to mention something...sleep apnea is indeed considered a disability and is covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.

Few people know this, and even fewer employers do. Because of the ADA, my employer had to take me off steady night shift (after 8+years) and put me on day shift because I was unable to follow my doctor's advice to maintain a set bedtime. Without the ADA, I would never have been able to get a handle on my severe sleep apnea....

Thanks for this info I never thought of it that way. I've been a CPAP advocate since I got mine, I can't sleep without it.

Oh, another suggestion for home not the ship is that if your CPAP does not have a battery back up (mine does not) get an external backup designed for a computer (APC brand is good). We live in a rural area and tend to loose power a lot at our house. I cannot sleep a wink without my CPAP and will wake up as soon as the power goes out. The computer battery backup only last a few mins when attached to a computer but when the power goes out my it will last a few hours connected just to my CPAP (as they say your mileage my vary). So now when the power goes out I can still get at least a few hours sleep. Just make sure the backup battery's blackout alarm is turned off or it will wake the whole house when you loose power.

I've never been hassled, or even questioned, or even been asked to unpack my CPAP machine for inspection, at any cruise line security checkpoint. Guess they're more focused on looking for contraband booze than rogue CPAP machines. :confused:

BTW, I also have always packed my power strip/surge suppressor, in both carry on and checked baggage, that's never been an issue, although perhaps I've just lucked out in that regard. :D

In the past, I've always just used ships' water in my CPAP, given that the water is produced by distillation/condensation, it's close enough for gov't work...hasn't killed me yet! :eek: But for our upcoming cruise, I won't take any chances...just sent an email to RCCL's "Special Needs" department, requesting the extension cord & distilled water. ;)

Wow how awesome to find this thread today! They just left from delivering my CPAP machine. We cruise in about a month so I was wondering how I was going to handle the machine on the plane and the ship, I logged on and this was the first thread that came up. I'm sure that I wont be completely used to my CPAP before I go, but with a 73% sustained oxygen level though the night, I'm not going anwhere without this baby! I'm looking forward to being able to stay awake for the shows now instead of my DH always waking me up because I'm missing everything!

I also use a cpap and HATED it at first. Took me 3+ months to get used to it. Now I hardly even notice it and I sleep much better. All I do at airport is have it opened up and they check it. Does not count as a carry on since it is a medical device and have never been asked for a note from Dr. I sleep much better with it than without so always take with me. I usually have a extention cord inside with it so never have issue on ship waiting to have them bring me one.

I am a Respiratory Therapist who sets up CPAP's on a daily basis....

Distilled water only.... that nice little white film your tap water leaves in your water chamber? You are breathing that in. Yes, you may be able to remove it from the tank, but how exactly do you plan on removing that film from your lungs :eek:

Flying with a CPAP? It will not count as a carry on, but you can not have other personal items in the bag with it. And no bottle of distilled water, so buy a bottle of Dasani water (distilled from the great city of Atlanta)when you get to your destination, that will get you through your hotel night.

Cruising? Contact the special needs department and ask for a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord. Print out the email reply from special needs that verifies that it will be in your room, in case you need to show your room steward.

Dump your water every morning before your room steward comes in to clean your cabin. They may mistakingly move your machine to clean under it and accidently cause water to enter the computer portion of the machine.

For those of you having mask problems.... notify your CPAP supplier. There are programs available to those suppliers from the CPAP companies that they can refit until patient is comfortable. Both large cpap mask suppliers (Respironics and Resmed) have these programs. Don't let your supplier tell you otherwise.

Good luck! and feel free to ask any questions!

I was wondering what everyone does with their CPAP machine until they can get into their cabin. Do you put a luggage tag on it and have it delivered to your cabin with the rest of your luggage or do you carry it around the ship with you until you can get into your cabin?

Archived