Complaining about new menus??

Rhitson88

So many people are complaining about the new menus containing more of a casual feel. Excuse me, but weren't cruise passengers asking for this when they wanted more of a "casual" feel in the dining room. When I first started cruising as a little kid with my parents, the MDR strictly enforced a dress code consisting of formal clothing especially on "formal" nights. Now they let passengers slack off on "elegant" nights and just get by with nice pants and a polo. So you brought these changes amongst yourself fellow passengers. Not all of us obviously, as I actually enjoy dressing up on the cruise and eating fancy food because I don't do it when at home. But, correct me if I am wrong or let me know if you agree. I am sure people will disagree with me as this is a touchy subject. Just thought I would speak on it as I see alot of threads being started regarding the new casualness of the menus.

The menus are this week's complaint d'jour.

This too shall pass.

Exactly, what ever happened to chair hogs, people who smoke, bad tippers, kids running all over the place, too cold air conditioning, and that wierd smell on Dream?:)

I don't really see the connection between dress and menu.

Here in San Diego one can go into most high end restaurants, dressed anyway one wants. The menus can still be interesting and more than "comfort" food alone.

A agree.

Most restaurants in tourist areas have very casual dress codes, not just San Diego.

We will be cruising again next month for 8 days and upon our return will comment on the menu.

Kind of silly to do it without going thru a cruise.

Thats a great point! I havent commented too much on the menu myself..other than the chips and salsa as an appetizer (I cant seem to get past that one). I plan to try it for myself beginning Sept 5 and then will make my assessment at that time.

I went on our first cruise with Carnival about 11 years ago with my husband. Since then we have convinced our friends/family to go. Now our cruise in December we have a HUGE group going of our family, friends, and a lot of co-workers. All because of the PRICE. My friend is a first time cruiser with her 3 kids. She got an interior room for a 5 day for $200 per person.

I think she is ok that one night they serve fried chicken as ONE menu option.

I am ok with ones that are unsatisfed to go to a different cruiseline. I dont want them around bring down my mood.

For those that complain and aren't satisfied and are going to cruise with another line, why are you in Cruise Critic for Carnival boards? Oh I know....to COMPLAIN. :rolleyes:

So many people are complaining about the new menus containing more of a casual feel. Excuse me, but weren't cruise passengers asking for this when they wanted more of a "casual" feel in the dining room. When I first started cruising as a little kid with my parents, the MDR strictly enforced a dress code consisting of formal clothing especially on "formal" nights. Now they let passengers slack off on "elegant" nights and just get by with nice pants and a polo. So you brought these changes amongst yourself fellow passengers. Not all of us obviously, as I actually enjoy dressing up on the cruise and eating fancy food because I don't do it when at home. But, correct me if I am wrong or let me know if you agree. I am sure people will disagree with me as this is a touchy subject. Just thought I would speak on it as I see alot of threads being started regarding the new casualness of the menus.

I totally agree with you. As we have watched the dress code in the dining room go from formal to casual, what can we expect but the same for the food.

Linda

I don't understand why the uproar. One single home comfort food that someone else is preparing, Really? You still have so many other choices. I showed the new menus to my husband, he was glad to see the comfort items. Go have a great cruise choose fancy or chose comfort, it's your vacation!!

As I have posted before, these changes should not be major shock if you have been following Carnival for the past 5 years. The change from formal to elegant was just the beginning. The new MDR menus sort of complement the look of the relatively new drink menus that have the silly factoids on them. They are obviously working on a theme of more casual and hopefully more fun.

Archived