Sales Tax?!?!?!?

CaroleSS

We don't have a HAL cruise booked so I don't have access to the area where you can pre-pay for services, excursions, etc. What is the exact language now for what at least once was the beverage/soda card? Might also ask do some states charge sales tax for even pre-loaded debit/charge cards? If so that sounds like double taxation but then again states don't always worry about those kind of technicalities. :rolleyes::)

Randy since it is a BEVERAGE card, that is what the purchase is for, so unfortunately the sales tax make sense. While it might be processed as a debit card, it is not, it is used only for drinks.

On the website you can still tab down to select - at sea or in cabin at embarkation.

We always order at sea - in our room when we arrive or shortly thereafter and never have to worry about the tax.:D

Randy since it is a BEVERAGE card, that is what the purchase is for, so unfortunately the sales tax make sense. While it might be processed as a debit card, it is not, it is used only for drinks.

On the website you can still tab down to select - at sea or in cabin at embarkation.

We always order at sea - in our room when we arrive or shortly thereafter and never have to worry about the tax.:D

That's kind of what I was thinking. It may be in essence a "debit card" but in reality it's a beverage card and therefore subject to tax. I guess if avoiding the tax is really an issue, other than ordering stuff for delivery at sea which seems like the easiest option, then just buy the generic on-board credits to pay down whatever you think you're going to charge. Of course we don't buy enough soda on a cruise to make the card worth it for us and our next cruise is all inclusive for such things....in reality we paying for all that stuff up front....it's not a concern.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It may be in essence a "debit card" but in reality it's a beverage card and therefore subject to tax. I guess if avoiding the tax is really an issue, other than ordering stuff for delivery at sea which seems like the easiest option, then just buy the generic on-board credits to pay down whatever you think you're going to charge. Of course we don't buy enough soda on a cruise to make the card worth it for us and our next cruise is all inclusive for such things....in reality we paying for all that stuff up front....it's not a concern.

So true - I do hope you will share with us what you think about your luxury cruise line - it's right around the corner;)

On our recent cruise out of Seattle, we purchased some drinks on our first day before sail-away. We noticed they charged us tax. I recalled reading about this topic before I left, so I told my husband it was because we hadn't gone out to sea yet. Well, a few days later when I asked for a copy of my bill to check it for accuracy (as suggested by posters on this forum), I noticed the tax had been refunded. :confused::confused::confused:

On our recent cruise out of Seattle, we purchased some drinks on our first day before sail-away. We noticed they charged us tax. I recalled reading about this topic before I left, so I told my husband it was because we hadn't gone out to sea yet. Well, a few days later when I asked for a copy of my bill to check it for accuracy (as suggested by posters on this forum), I noticed the tax had been refunded. :confused::confused::confused:

You were lucky -- our sales tax was not refunded.

• 1 month later...

If you purchase the beverage card when you are at sea will you still get the same deal which is a $100 for $90? Can you use this for all the beverages they offer, or do you have to have separate one for alcohol and one for soft drinks and coffee?

If you purchase the beverage card when you are at sea will you still get the same deal which is a $100 for $90? Can you use this for all the beverages they offer, or do you have to have separate one for alcohol and one for soft drinks and coffee?
There's three kinds of cards: all beverages, non-alcoholic beverages, or sodas. The first two kinds can be purchased in $50 or $100 face values at the 10% discount price wherever or whenever you buy them. The soda card is $50 face value for $25.

Although you could, it's not a good idea to use either of the first two kinds to buy soda because you don't get nearly as much discount.

I frankly don't see the point of having a non-alcoholic card at all. You can buy anything with the first type, and the price of the card is the same. I suppose you could buy one for a minor as a way to help ensure they wouldn't buy alcoholic drinks, but that should be up to the bartenders and servers to enforce anyway.

Archived