Ipad e-mail on ship

SMNYCruise

Since the internet is so expensive on board, and my husband is self employed and must remain in touch while on vacation, he wants to use his ipad with the Oceania's wireless connection. His plan is to receive e-mails then disconnect and read them off-line. To send, he wants to type replies while off-line and send them all at once either on shore or on the Nautica.

Will this work?

I use my netbook the same way

I download the mail into my mail reader (Eudora) the log off

Read/reply then sign on & send

Not sure how an Ipad works

But I have used this method on several cruises with my netbook

Lyn

Since the internet is so expensive on board, and my husband is self employed and must remain in touch while on vacation, he wants to use his ipad with the Oceania's wireless connection. His plan is to receive e-mails then disconnect and read them off-line. To send, he wants to type replies while off-line and send them all at once either on shore or on the Nautica.

Will this work?

I assume he is using a MS Exchange or POP email account (not a web brower account).

If so Yes it should -- works the same way with a PC if using Outlook too.

If it works at home using the wifi and Ipad-- it should work on Oceania.

Just log off after send or receiving and you should not use any minutes.

Don't forget that Oceania has changed the way they charge. If I understand correctly you can receive all the email you want, you only get charged for what you send. This is when you use the email address they supply you. I've read that a lot of people have their regular email address forwarded to the Oceania one.

Then he can read at no cost, and no in advance which ones he wants to reply to.

I have just returned from sailing on Marina with my ipad. Couldnt use wifi in my cabin so had to go to the internet area. Took so long to get on linevthat it was easier and quicker to just use their computer. Packages are expensive but the good news is the area is quite empty.

If you have iPad 2 it will have 3G and you should be able to send and receive mail with out going through the the ships wifi. You will need to check with your 3G service provider about overseas roaming costs.

Yes, but be careful. I used Blackberry to keep in touch with my work e-mails, but go hit with big charges even after upgrading to an international Verizon plan (fortunately my firm reimbursed).

It is never free and it is never cheap. We usually purchase a package of minutes and do what another poster suggested. We download all incoming e-mail and sign off. We write responses and sign on and send. That minimizes online usage. When invport we look for WiFi cafe like a Starbucks.

Yes, but be careful. I used Blackberry to keep in touch with my work e-mails, but go hit with big charges even after upgrading to an international Verizon plan (fortunately my firm reimbursed).

If you have iPad 2 it will have 3G and you should be able to send and receive mail with out going through the the ships wifi. You will need to check with your 3G service provider about overseas roaming costs.

Not all iPad2s have 3G. Nonetheless, you would be using the ship's tower if at sea and this would be far more expensive than the internet minutes.

Hi just back from Marina and I was only able to access wifi by taking my ipad to the computer area. It took so long to get online that I gave up and just used the computers there. Packages v expensive so took ipad to Tourist Information Offices in each port of call .... Free.

• 5 weeks later...

Just back from Nautica. Our plan worked well. We signed on our IPad or I Phones, downloaded e-mails, signed off, responded to e-mails off line and when we went back on line, the mail was automatically sent. Saved lots of $$ this way. Internet on Oceania is expensive.

By the way...fantastic cruise. Oceania is great!

• 2 weeks later...

We too are self employed & unfortunately too have to keep in touch with real world. Our experience is that the shipboard connections are painfully slow and painfully expensive ($80 worth just to download 2 days emails). We have made executive decision not to signup for any internet packages unless an absolute emergency.

Since Oceania cruises are so port intensive we now are blissfully unconnected while on board and we enjoy exploring ports of call in search of hotspots ~ much cheaper & enjoyable (and we have never let a client down).

I just bought my Ipad a few days ago. From what I am hearing, it is better to purchase the international 3G data plan which I am able to utilize onboard as opposed to purchasing minutes from the ship. Thanks for any advice.

FWIW 3G will only work without additional cost in port. At sea you are going to have to access the ships connection and they will be most happy to charge you for it :D

I just bought my Ipad a few days ago. From what I am hearing, it is better to purchase the international 3G data plan which I am able to utilize onboard as opposed to purchasing minutes from the ship. Thanks for any advice.

FWIW 3G will only work without additional cost in port. At sea you are going to have to access the ships connection and they will be most happy to charge you for it :D

Thanks. Now I am a little confused due to jakes 47 earlier post.

Not very tech savvy, sorry if this is a dumb question!

If I have my iPad on the ship, will I be able to get to the ship's Outlook email account with the Oceania@Sea email address WITHOUT connecting to the internet? And can I send an email for $3.95 WITHOUT connecting to the internet? Or do I still have to pay for internet minutes?

I'm thinking I still need to buy internet minutes to do this, correct?

If I have my iPad on the ship, will I be able to get to the ship's Outlook email account with the Oceania@Sea email address WITHOUT connecting to the internet? And can I send an email for $3.95 WITHOUT connecting to the internet? Or do I still have to pay for internet minutes?

You can connect to the Oceania @ sea mail n/c just click on the right link on the top of the page

I am not sure how the ipad works but it can be done from my netbook though I did not use the @sea email option it is on the opening log in screen

I would ask the person in the computer centre if you are not sure how it works

Someplace here someone posted a screen shot of the opening sign in page it shows the 2 different log in areas

Lyn

You will have to buy internet time from O because you will be using their network, whether you use their computers or your own I-pad in your cabin. And be aware if you choose to do that, some areas of the ship have very poor connectivity.

Our cabin on Marina was that way, and we got "booted off" several times and could not reenter the program to properly shut down. Thank goodness it was the maiden voyage where internet was complimentary, because if not we would have had a horrendous bill! I hope it has improved since, but there are still complaints, so just be aware and understand what you're getting into before you jump!

on october 8, she said: "Since Oceania cruises are so port intensive we now are blissfully unconnected while on board and we enjoy exploring ports of call in search of hotspots ~ much cheaper & enjoyable (and we have never let a client down)."

our advice: FIND A LIBRARY. they have either computers to use (great if you have access to your mail via the web), or wi-fi or both. we always drop a couple of $$ into the donation jar to thank them for allowing us to use their stuff.

even if you have 3g or 4g, roaming charges are HORRENDOUS.

• 4 months later...
Just back from Nautica. Our plan worked well. We signed on our IPad or I Phones, downloaded e-mails, signed off, responded to e-mails off line and when we went back on line, the mail was automatically sent. Saved lots of $$ this way. Internet on Oceania is expensive.

By the way...fantastic cruise. Oceania is great!

We are going on Nautica in SE Asia this week for 25 day cruise. Doesn't your SMTP have to be set to the ships SMTP address for the outgoing emails to get sent? I know the incoming can use your own address to receive. Do you know the SMTP settings on their ships?

We are going on Nautica in SE Asia this week for 25 day cruise. Doesn't your SMTP have to be set to the ships SMTP address for the outgoing emails to get sent? I know the incoming can use your own address to receive. Do you know the SMTP settings on their ships?

If your outgoing port is set to port 25, try changing it to port 26. This works with my ISP but perhaps not others. My Email is through my private ISP which provides my website, not one of the biggies. Try asking your ISP for an alternate port. Also, not all ISP's block your SMTP. You can try it, and if it's blocked by the ship, you can ask the computer guy on the ship to help you adjust the setting.

If your outgoing port is set to port 25, try changing it to port 26. This works with my ISP but perhaps not others. My Email is through my private ISP which provides my website, not one of the biggies. Try asking your ISP for an alternate port. Also, not all ISP's block your SMTP. You can try it, and if it's blocked by the ship, you can ask the computer guy on the ship to help you adjust the setting.

Gee, I wish I knew what you guys were talking about :confused:

Archived