Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay?

Beagledog

We have done the voyage of the glaciers and enjoyed it very much, we are now thinking about doing the inside passage. What kind of things are seen at Tracy Arm, do you see wild life or is it primarily scenery? Help us decide!!

We have done the voyage of the glaciers and enjoyed it very much, we are now thinking about doing the inside passage. What kind of things are seen at Tracy Arm, do you see wild life or is it primarily scenery? Help us decide!!

I have pictures of when I went through Tracy Arm last July availalbe here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/stungazed

In addition to to glaciers and icebergs there was some wild life, but I don't recall seeing a whole lot of it, other than some eagles.

We went through Tracy Arm last May. It was the highlight of our cruise even though we did get to the glaciers. There was too much ice for the Diamond to make it in. We didn't see any wildlife but the scenery was breath taking. My pictures are below. This year we are taking a northbound cruise just for the change.

We went in July 2003. It was spectacular. Our ship made it around the island in Stungaze's photos and then around the last bend to where we had a direct view of the Sawyer Glacier. The onboard naturalist talked as we went through. He pointed out various things we might have missed, including a mountain goat. Be sure to have good binoculars. For Alaska, I suggest bringing them for everyone in your party. It's not a place I want to share them like I'm willing to do in the Caribbean.

We went up Tracey Arm Fjord in Sept, 2003 - here are a few pictures I took

website

Couldn't tell you which was better, never been to Glacier Bay. There was very little wildlife - very few beaches (as you can see in the pictures). The naturalists doing narration from the bridge kayaked several days in the fjord and said several nights were spent in their kyaks, tied to seaweed to keep from drifting in the tidal flow.

We went up Tracey Arm Fjord in Sept, 2003 - here are a few pictures I took

Wonderful pictures. We were there in May last year but didn't get to the glaciers because of the ice. Yours are the first pictures that I have seen that give a real feel for the size of the icebergs floating all around you. We are going to Alaska again this year taking a northbound voyage of the glaciers cruise. My only regret is that we will not see Tracy Arm again this year. You are right. It is an experience that I will never forget.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived