Volendam after dry dock

AzEileen

I, too, was on the last cruises before the drydock, and I don't recall that there were plans for changes. From what I remember reading, there wern't any changes, either. It was just a sprucing up.

Even the Piano Lounge area was not going to be turned into Mix. :)

I know there wasn't going to be a Retreat, or lanai cabins. The Showroom at Sea is a possible change, but I don't know if that was planned.

I have gone back several pages looking for comments from someone who sailed on Volendam after the recent dry dock. Can anyone tell us how the ship looks now? What changes were made?

Thanks.

The thread that mentioned the dry dock was 'Volendam or Zuiderdam?' but there wasn't any mention about what was done to her while in dry dock.

We were on the Volendam last Christmas and Captain Bos said there were about 1600 items on the dry dock 'to do' list. I got the impression that none of the items were structural.

Either way, she's a great ship...and not long til we'll be on her again for 29 days...roll on December!:)

Have you heard if the damaged lifeboat was replaced?

I remember asking this of the few posters who reported following the drydock, but I don't clearly remember the answer.

I think I remember that it wasn't replaced at first, and there were plans to replace it when the ship got to either Seattle or Vancouver.

I do remember that being missing ruined my favorite seat on Lower Promenade. The strong sun beat down when the boat wasn't there to provide shade.

Passengers still mustered there during lifeboat drill. It must have been brutal standing in that sun.

Was on the Voldenam for the August 3 cruise and do not remember a missing life boat. Not familiar enough to know if there were a other changes made in dry dock, but I think it was more of a general refurbishment. Things did look fresh and in good condition. I enjoyed the artwork on Voldenam more than other Holland America ships I have been on. It was the best cruise I have ever been on for seeing wildlife/views from the ship (Inside Passage Alaska). The captain did a great job of preparing you to see it and telling you when it is available.

Archived