2 for 1 Cruise Fare: Very Disappointing !

G&G

We have been crusing for the past 35 years, from Carnival to Regent, but have never sailed on Oceania. Six months ago we signed up for cruise info from Oceania and have received three (3) great sales since May 2011.

Today we received our third mailing from Oceania that for the 1st time stated; "SPECIAL FLORIDA OFFER FROM $799 PER GUEST". This was a price for an inside cabin, sailing date 01/03/12

The only problem was that this offer plus offers on all other sailings out of Miami for inside cabins on the Marina in the Winter/Spring 2012 have been sold out since last May 2011 when these 2 for 1 offer first appeared. I checked three weeks ago and was told on the March 7, 2012 sailing that there was a waitlist of 18 and 11 reservations for the F & G inside cabins.

It appears that Oceania has misrepresented what cabins are actually available to get people to call and book the available higher end cabins.

This is VERY DISAPPOINTING since we would like to sail on one of Oceania's ships.

I would share your sense of disappointment at the lack of availability and special offer timing as described. After reading your post, I looked at the site and noticed the Dec sailing from Miami is advertised in their promotions as "starting from $999" even though all cabins up to Penthouse are listed as sold out, and the Penthouse and above are all waitlisted for that cruise.

Not as a defense for them (they can defend themselves) but thinking that, until the time of final payment, none of the rooms is actually "sold" and subject to cancellation. I have no idea at what point they change "waitlist" to "sold out" though. In truth, it would seem that all of the rooms are, in fact, waitlisted only until full payment is received by them.

For info, Regent currently shows several special fare discounts for upcoming cruises, and the cabin (or suite) category is noted as waitlisted within that cruise's specific site. Not sure what Carnival does, since they don't disclose availability until you specify the cruise. Since I make a hobby of cruise comparisons at times, it did occur to me that the other top-tier lines generally don't disclose their room category availability for specials until one actually progresses into the booking process.

Since Regent and Oceania are owned by the same holding company, so I'm not sure how prevalent the practice might be for other lines. Final note is that Oceania has been easy to deal with and above-board for their clientele, and we would not hesitate to sail with them again. Many of their most ardent supporters post here, so they may have better info re this specific info than me on this topic.

Thanks, Bob H

May 2011.

It appears that Oceania has misrepresented what cabins are actually available to get people to call and book the available higher end cabins.

This is VERY DISAPPOINTING since we would like to sail on one of Oceania's ships.

On my recent cruise on Marina they sent me a letter reminding me to spend my onboard credit and that tells me a lot about their integrity.

I'd just like to mention that it may be an idea to check the website again later. There has been a number of problems with their website lately (according to other posters on other threads). Sometimes while they are updating their website, availability shows as being all sold out.

On my recent cruise on Marina they sent me a letter reminding me to spend my onboard credit and that tells me a lot about their integrity.

It is good to know that Oceania has integrity but it does not appear it extends to their advertising.

It is good to know that Oceania has integrity but it does not appear it extends to their advertising.

You are 100 per cent correct. Oceania has always been loose with their marketing. A good example was "free" air. At one time it wasn't free though advertised as free. You had to pay the taxes.

Now of course free air is really built into the price and you can get credit for the free air.

The Oceania web site is indeed dreadful, perhaps the worst site of cruise lines in this class.

As for the incessant pumping to "ACT NOW THIS UNBUHLIEVABLE OFFER ENDS JUST 2 WEEKS!" - that is precisely why I delete the nonstop emails and pitch twice weekly mailers into the trash. Such "deals" have zero currency & less credibility. Raises my blood pressure.

Why do the crackerjack Oceania Marketing Department geniuses fail to realize how discouraging these absurd solicitations are, especially when a consumer inquires as to the true nature of the "deal?" I am booked on a 2012 Nautica cruise (one being pumped in the nonstop come-ons) but my TA repeatedly informs me to "forget about it" regarding greater discounts for my booking.

I conclude these so-called "deals" are waste of time, one that seriously erodes goodwill Oceania has with its existing customer base. Poorly conceived and poorly executed campaign that only heightens distrust and a sour taste.

I would share your sense of disappointment at the lack of availability and special offer timing as described. After reading your post, I looked at the site and noticed the Dec sailing from Miami is advertised in their promotions as "starting from $999" even though all cabins up to Penthouse are listed as sold out, and the Penthouse and above are all waitlisted for that cruise.

Not as a defense for them (they can defend themselves) but thinking that, until the time of final payment, none of the rooms is actually "sold" and subject to cancellation. I have no idea at what point they change "waitlist" to "sold out" though. In truth, it would seem that all of the rooms are, in fact, waitlisted only until full payment is received by them.

The problem with the part I bolded is that if the waitlist does miraculously clear, the price for the cabin is not the price at the time you joined the waitlist but the prevailing price when you actually book, which may be quite different from when you joined the waitlist.

This policy makes perfect sense, so in the end we're back at square one.

The only thing I can think of which might preserve O's advertising integrity is that there was at least one cabin available at that price when it printed the advertising material and all of the waitlist is a result of people booking upon immediately receiving said advertising material.

just a note on the printed advertising material

When the sale info is sent to print they may have several cabins available ...however by the time it is printed, mailed & delivered by the post office there will probably be none

Just like the sales in the weekend paper for great travel deals ..ever try to get one Monday morning:rolleyes:

A suggestion for O :

for big sales or last minute deals (not really) just put them on the website or weekly email & faxes to the TA's

Less expense in printing flyers that will go in the trash

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

just a note on the printed advertising material

When the sale info is sent to print they may have several cabins available ...however by the time it is printed, mailed & delivered by the post office there will probably be none

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

That's exactly what the agent for Oceania told me concerning the ad material I received yesterday for the 2 for 1 cruise fare for Florida Residents Only.

The fact remains these so called available cabins were booked FULL three (3) months ago !

I am not a lawyer but there are plenty on here & they may choose to comment

If the ad says FROM $799 and there are ANY cabins still available on that cruise then it is not false advertising

If it says cabins at $799 & there are NO cabins in that Cat then it is false advertising

True it can be misleading if you do not read & understand the fine print

I would check the ads for other cruise lines & see they are doing the same marketing

Right or wrong that seems to be how they all do business... it is called marketing

It is like going to the supermarket for the item on sale only to find they only had a limited number & now they are sold out

Lyn

Just out of curiosity, how would you come up with a piece of information like that?

I received an internet offer in May 2011 for the 2 for 1 cruise special on sailings on the Marina out of Miami for this Winter/Spring 2011/2012 in the $799-$999 price range for inside cabins.

I immediately tried to book an inside cabin and it was already sold out. That's how I know these interior cabins were sold out last May (3 months ago)

I am not a lawyer but there are plenty on here & they may choose to comment

If the ad says FROM $799 and there are ANY cabins still available on that cruise then it is not false advertising

If it says cabins at $799 & there are NO cabins in that Cat then it is false advertising

True it can be misleading if you do not read & understand the fine print

I would check the ads for other cruise lines & see they are doing the same marketing

Right or wrong that seems to be how they all do business... it is called marketing

It is like going to the supermarket for the item on sale only to find they only had a limited number & now they are sold out

Lyn

I am not a lawyer but what I found very misleading was the cheapest cabins available for the selected cruise date was not $799 but a B2 Verandah at $2,899.

We receive monthly cruise specials via mail and internet from Regent, Holland America and Princess. When we decide to book a cruise, 42 cruises to date, we have never found other cruise lines not able to honor their advertised special deals.

Maybe Oceania should say "from (but not including) $799 :D ?

I received an internet offer in May 2011 for the 2 for 1 cruise special on sailings on the Marina out of Miami for this Winter/Spring 2011/2012 in the $799-$999 price range for inside cabins.

I immediately tried to book an inside cabin and it was already sold out. That's how I know these interior cabins were sold out last May (3 months ago)

I'd like to understand your premise. Is it your belief that Oceania should increase the minimum price in their advertisements as the lowest priced cabins get booked?

The real problem with Oceania's advertising (and all cruise lines for that matter) is the 2 for 1 price they advertise. Does anyone actually believe that they are getting two tickets for the price of one? Yes, they are paying half of an inflated brochure price which was never meant to be paid in the first place. I'm sure they set a price they want for the cruise, double it in the brochure and then tell you you are getting two for the price of one. Obviously, this kind of marketing works because all the cruise lines are doing it and people seem to think they are getting a bargain.

I'd like to understand your premise. Is it your belief that Oceania should increase the minimum price in their advertisements as the lowest priced cabins get booked?

I just want Oceania to be honest with their available catergories & pricing. Mailings and Internet Specials we receive from other cruise lines will show on each sailing per cabin category which category is already sold out.

For example; Per the Oceania mailing I received yesterday, the 01/03/2012 sailing on the Marina out of Miami should have shown that Catergories G & F, Inside Cabins were "SOLD OUT" and not $799/$999.

I presume that O and its ad agency would be aware of the legal requirements for "truth in advertising". From the description of the issues here so far, it is unclear to me how this all precisely stacks up. Think I'll let this one rest for now.

I just want Oceania to be honest with their available catergories & pricing. Mailings and Internet Specials we receive from other cruise lines will show on each sailing per cabin category which category is already sold out.

For example; Per the Oceania mailing I received yesterday, the 01/03/2012 sailing on the Marina out of Miami should have shown that Catergories G & F, Inside Cabins were "SOLD OUT" and not $799/$999.

Not that I am defending Oceania or anything like that but due to the elasticity of the bookings, a "sold out" category may become available at a later time...even after final payment dates as Oceania may offer move-overs for the perceived "overbooked" cruises/categories. I.e. get people to move over to fill up the less booked cruises and continue to attract new bookings for the "popular" one.

Just received yet another "ACT NOW GINORMOUS SALE" mailing. Third in a week. Can this possibly be an effective use of Oceania's marketing dollars?

The bigger issue is TRUST. There is a special bond between vendor and consumer, one that is not solely price-driven. One that is based on reliability, integrity and confidence. On this very thread, my sense is posters are not conned in by such silly solicitations. These so-called "deals" subvert the goodwill Oceania has enjoyed with past customers.

Of course, pricing is important. But to motivate a prior O cruiser on the basis of a steady diet of mailed inane claims only shows a lack of imagination and respect.

Would you choose a doctor or dentist based on their junk mailings? Didn't think so.

At least you all are getting mail with some gorgeous photographs - I haven't received a piece of anything from Oceania for months - not one of those magnificent catalogues, not even an interim mailer/folder/flyer. And I'm feeling pretty low about it.

Now from Holland-American - on which I have never sailed - I am barraged, minimally, thrice weekly. I'm beginning to think I really should book a cruise, any cruise, just to repay them for the paper and ink!

Not that I am defending Oceania or anything like that but due to the elasticity of the bookings, a "sold out" category may become available at a later time...even after final payment dates as Oceania may offer move-overs for the perceived "overbooked" cruises/categories. I.e. get people to move over to fill up the less booked cruises and continue to attract new bookings for the "popular" one.

What is the likelihood that the newly available cabins that were previously sold out will then be priced at the price that was advertised in the publication, particularly after final payment has passed? :confused:

I may sound harsh, but I do like and appreciate Oceania's "all-in" pricing. What you see (provided it's available:D) is what you pay, unlike the other lines that add on port fees and taxes on top of the fares they advertise, including at least one of the luxury lines!

What is the likelihood that the newly available cabins that were previously sold out will then be priced at the price that was advertised in the publication, particularly after final payment has passed? :confused:

I may sound harsh, but I do like and appreciate Oceania's "all-in" pricing. What you see (provided it's available:D) is what you pay, unlike the other lines that add on port fees and taxes on top of the fares they advertise, including at least one of the luxury lines!

Well, I had been monitoring a certain cruise in Nov 2011, some cabin categories had been bouncing between "Sold Out", "Waitlist" and "Book now" for a couple of weeks now. Fares seem to be the same as they were way back in May.

Granted I was not paying a whole lot of attention to the Inside category staterooms...:p

I may sound harsh, but I do like and appreciate Oceania's "all-in" pricing. What you see (provided it's available) is what you pay, unlike the other lines that add on port fees and taxes on top of the fares they advertise, including at least one of the luxury lines!
Maybe not all-in pricing for long. Have you noticed the fine print on the recent Oceania offers? Cruise-related government taxes and fees are no longer included in brochure pricing. Rather, Oceania states that they will charge up to $17 pp per diem. As far as I can tell, bookings made after Aug 31, 2011 will incur these additional charges.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx

"... All fares listed are in U.S. dollars, per person, based on double occupancy and include Non-Commissionable Fares. Cruise-related Government Fees and Taxes of up to $17 per guest per day are additional ..."

Archived