Has anyone been on a ship during weather like this?

browneyedwoman

We will be sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride next Sunday. We are supposed to go to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport but I guess we'll see what happens. Have any of you been on a cruise ship during similar weather. What should we expect?

It will most likely be rough leaving Baltimore and then some rough waters as you travel south (since by Sunday the storm should be here in MD/VA area). Once you get to Georgia and FL it should be nicer and then once at Grand Turk, it should be beautiful. Just do like everyone has suggested- bring lots of seasickness medication- and actually start taking them around Thursday or Friday (if you take them on Sunday, it may be too late).

The only concern I have for you is- I wonder if Carnival will try to delay the ship until Monday. Or maybe try to leave Saturday and then get out to sea in order to avoid the storm. The last place a big ship wants to be is in port during a bad storm (much less a Hurricane). Too much banging around can damage the port and the ship. I'm sure Carnival will keep you informed- let us know if you hear anything from them.:( Just be ready to leave early or late...and then have a great time! Let me know how you like those ports- I will be on the same cruise aboard the Pride in April. I already have my cabana rented for HMC! Can't wait!!! :)

Additional Western Caribbean ports- Key West,Progresso and Costa Maya. I noticed on the information page regarding ship itinerary changes that were posted. DH and I said that wouldn't be bad, as we missed out on Progresso this year. But if you are sailing into the Bahamas, or to the Bahamas, seems like, if anything ,you would just get a lot of sea days.:o

especially if you were leaving from Charleston or Jacksonville

This past December 11, 2010 I sailed out of Baltimore on the Celebrity Mercury. We weren't expecting bad weather and hit this:

Storm1.jpg

Storm2.jpg

Storm3.jpg

Storm4.jpg

We had seas like this once before and they announced that we were not allowed on the balconies or open decks, seems like it lasted about about 4-6 hours. We also had rough seas going to hawaii and they would not open the balcony dividers or the pools until the 3rd day because of rough seas. The all time worst weather was one of our sailings on the Victory a straight line wind sheer came out of no where and pushed the ship to the port side, my mother said oh my is that water pointing starboard. No, that is sky...that is water pointing to the port side, we were on lido deck. This conversation was happening as we were holding on to the table to try to stay put. Everything and everyone went sliding across the ship, all the plates in lido restaurant hit the floor, all the ketchup bottles fell and broke. It was a mess. The pools emptied, the kids in the pools where thrown under the benches. It was incredible. We settled upright back into about an 18 degree list for about 2 hours waiting for the ship to straighten back out. The captain came over the PA system and said he aplogized, "but a strong wind was pushing on the ship and he had to turn the ship into the wind to keep it from capsizing" I swear that is what he said. I could not believe it. It was scary at the time, but now we laugh about it all the time.

We will be sailing out of Baltimore on the Pride next Sunday. We are supposed to go to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport but I guess we'll see what happens. Have any of you been on a cruise ship during similar weather. What should we expect?

How about a force 10 gale off Cape Horn and really big seas in Drake Passage? There was a bit of rocking and rolling but the experience was really neat.

DON

I've been wanting to go on a vacation since April. I can't believe that this weather is going to happen to us. I'm going to try to make the best of it but if we are all sick and if my parents won't be able to walk around the ship for fear of falling I'm afraid this is going to be a disaster.

Do they ever confine you to your cabins during storms?

Not that I've ever heard of but they do close most outer decks, pools, and cancel shows and other events. Someone mentioned that balconies were off limits during storms. The weather usually gets a lot of people sea sick so attendance for dinner in the MDR is lighter. ;)

Do they ever confine you to your cabins during storms?

In 1996 I was on a cruise in early Nov.when a hurricane arrived . We skipped Nassau and spent two days in Key West . The final night the captain got on the loudspeaker and strongly advised everyone to go to their cabins early and stay there. It was pretty frightening .

On our first cruise we played "Dodge Wilma." Our itinerary was changed from Coz. to Nassau. Then we had an extra sea day sailing around. We have great pictures of the clouds in the distance. The captain did a great job keeping us in sunshine. :) The only time we felt any rocking was when Wilma turned from Coz. and headed towards Miami. They wanted to get into Miami and back out again before it hit. So the ship really went FAST!!!

We cruised right into a hurricane(dark clouds ,winds) and when we came out the other side it was the 1940's, it was very strange.

This past December 11, 2010 I sailed out of Baltimore on the Celebrity Mercury. We weren't expecting bad weather and hit this:

Storm1.jpg

Storm2.jpg

Storm3.jpg

Storm4.jpg

2 years ago out of Bayonne, NJ we had weather like this with high swells and so windy. It was late October. They closed all outside decks. More than 1/2 the ship was sick. Thank goodness it didn't effect me any. I found it exciting and fun, but many others didnt'!

We are set to sail next Sunday (28th) leaving Baltimore and I am a little concerned. This is our first cruise so we are looking for advice just as you are. We are excited about the cruise but the weather doesn't seem like it's going to disappear anytime soon. I hope so, I have been looking forward to this since January!

We are set to sail next Sunday (28th) leaving Baltimore and I am a little concerned. This is our first cruise so we are looking for advice just as you are. We are excited about the cruise but the weather doesn't seem like it's going to disappear anytime soon. I hope so, I have been looking forward to this since January!

Go to the drug store and purchase Bonine which is over the counter. Begin taking it on Sat. morning and continue while you are on the ship. You should be fine, but just in case the trip is rocky, the Bonine will prevent sea sickness.

Please post info about your cruise when you return. We have been on the Pride twice and loved her!

Have a great cruise.

2 years ago out of Bayonne, NJ we had weather like this with high swells and so windy. It was late October. They closed all outside decks. More than 1/2 the ship was sick. Thank goodness it didn't effect me any. I found it exciting and fun, but many others didnt'!

I know what you mean! I hadn't experienced seas line that since my days in the US Navy. It was a blast! :)

I know what you mean! I hadn't experienced seas line that since my days in the US Navy. It was a blast! :)

I had one that the seas looked that rough..never got sick..one night attendence was low in dining room...old Costa Rivera in Sept ...we had no severe lists but waves were like this..nice to see the photos to compare memories..thanks..yes i was lucky not sick ..not scared..maybe just dumb and loved it:).

I have never cruised in a hurricane before but on my first cruise we went thru some pretty bad storms the first night and that next morning woke up back in Ft Lauderdale. On my third cruise (my daughter's 1st - she was 7) in Jan of 2010 we had storms from the time we left Galveston until the time we got back. Our one port day in Cozumel was nice since there was about an 8 hour break in the storms but another storm hit when leaving Cozumel and stayed with us until we got back. It stayed in the 50s and 60s and cold wind that stayed pretty strong. Most of the passengers were sick. We did not get sick and we made the best out of it and had a great mom and daughter trip!:p

Archived