Not good news for Half Moon Cay

oceanlov1

Report I heard said Eleuthra was spared major damage.

I think Eurodam is still scheduled to call at HMC so likely it is relatively intact or those plans will be changed.

It's a charter on Eurodam so maybe we won't have many reports here on CC.

The biggest problem isn't the wind, it is the storm surge. I would expect with such a low lying island, the Cabanas, structures and vegetation suffered greatly from the surge. Hopefully that is not the case and things can be brought to normal quickly.

Eurodam is supposed to leave Jacksonville today for her charter cruise and she is still scheduled to call at HMC this week. We'll see if that plan changes as they are able to assess damage.

As I've said, my biggest worry is not cabanas being blown away, it is further erosion of the beach. So much beach has been lost there that it's getting very narrow.

Agreed. It's an eyesore.

I love beach bars, but that one is a bit much and it's out of place on such a beautiful, and purposley under-developed, island.

Yes I understand it's more for the Carnie folks than HAL guests.

We've been to HMC several times on HAL, but did sail on Carnival last year with a stop at HMC. DD and I checked out the pirate bar, fully expecting it to be jammed with Carnival revelers partying to some pumped up dance music. What we found was shocking -10 people in the bar listening to an acoustic guitar player. The bartender said it had been like that all day. The bar staff, including those stewards assigned to the beach, were not too happy to be there. No one was buying drinks.

--it took 5 cruises for me to get to 1/2 moon, due to the maasdam engine failure in 2000, and all the rest where do to weather,, last year i got to go and WOW--the shipwreck bar is a great place for a fantastic photo op and to get out of the sun

We've been to HMC several times on HAL, but did sail on Carnival last year with a stop at HMC. DD and I checked out the pirate bar, fully expecting it to be jammed with Carnival revelers partying to some pumped up dance music. What we found was shocking -10 people in the bar listening to an acoustic guitar player. The bartender said it had been like that all day. The bar staff, including those stewards assigned to the beach, were not too happy to be there. No one was buying drinks.

Seems to be even more indication of many cruisers paying as low a price as they can to get themselves on the ships and then spending little or nothing for onboard revenue.

One can cruise very economically that way but what does it do to the quality of the experience?

Seems to be even more indication of many cruisers paying as low a price as they can to get themselves on the ships and then spending little or nothing for onboard revenue.

One can cruise very economically that way but what does it do to the quality of the experience?

I have to disagree with that in the context of buying drinks at HMC - I was there to enjoy the island, the beach and the beauty of the place, not sit in the bar and drink. I don't believe I had a drink all day when we were there in April, apart from soda.

I have to disagree with that in the context of buying drinks at HMC - I was there to enjoy the island, the beach and the beauty of the place, not sit in the bar and drink. I don't believe I had a drink all day when we were there in April, apart from soda.

Drinking in the hot sun is a sure recipe for a migraine for me. I may have one drink but the rest of the time on HMC I wil only drink pop.

I'm with you in that it was not an attempt to cruise without onboard charges. I enjoy a few drinks in the evening in the ship's bar.

I am hardly a heavy drinker.... :) Mostly wine but even I have a bloody mary at "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever". When we go to get it, sit under the roof which provides shades, we find the bar half filled these days. Used to be we had to wade through two or three deep at the bar to order our drink. We like the view from there along the beautiful beach, see the ship(s) and then go to lunch. We even sometimes see bartenders from another ship that is sharing at HMC. We often run across one we know from previous cruises and it's fun for a quick hello. :)

Hardly a sign of a serious drinker overdoing it in hot sun. :D

There is a happy balance.

Most sodas are purchased at the bars...... unless you send a steward to get one for you.

Not to get to far off topic, but if you buy shore excursions outside of the ship, prepay your tips, bring your own drinks as well as a camera you can have a most excellent cruise vacation without much on your sail and sign card. ;)

If you bring your own drinks, you, of course, are breaking HAL's rules except for soda, champagne and wine. If you drink your wine outside of your cabin, you will be charged a corkage fee of $18. If you drink it only in your cabin, you probably are missing lots of fun out and about the ship. IMO

As to nothing on your onboard account....... that was my point. :)

Independent excursions certainly are your perogative and nothing wrong with it but no on board revenue, very low fares, has to ultimately equal less and less offered in our cruise experience. The revenue stream has to come from somewhere or the cruise line has to include less and less in what they provide us.

To keep this on topic, the only excursions you can purchase at HMC are from HAL. There are no independent ones possible so if you wish to do any of the activities, HAL would get the excursion fee for that.

If you bring your own drinks, you, of course, are breaking HAL's rules except for soda, champagne and wine. If you drink your wine outside of your cabin, you will be charged a corkage fee of $18. If you drink it only in your cabin, you probably are missing lots of fun out and about the ship. IMO

As to nothing on your onboard account....... that was my point. :)

Independent excursions certainly are your perfogative and nothing wrong with it but no on board revenue, very low fares, has to ultimately equal less and less offered in our cruise experience. The revenue stream has to come from somewhere or the cruise line has to include less and less in what they provide us.

Wine and soda are what I meant. I ain't no smuggler! As far as keeping the line profitable, that is Holland's job and worry, not mine!

Drinking in the hot sun is a sure recipe for a migraine for me. I may have one drink but the rest of the time on HMC I wil only drink pop.

I'm with you in that it was not an attempt to cruise without onboard charges. I enjoy a few drinks in the evening in the ship's bar.

Drinking in the midday heat, sun, afternoon (any or all) doesn't trigger a migraine for me (one of the few things that doesn't trigger a migraine) but does make me extremely low-energy and unable to enjoy the rest of the day. Learned that lesson many years ago ;) Not even one drink until cocktail hour.

Eluthera got clobbered that means Princess cay and Halfmoon cay got swept away ! The cabanas were flying around like kites I dont think cruises will be stopping there till repairs are made. That usually takes a month or longer depending on the extent of the damages.

Perhaps the Turks or Nassau will be substituted as a port call??:eek:

A Facebook post reports very little damage damage other than beach erosion. We'll have to await an official assessment from HAL.

Am I the only one who thinks 'only beach erosion' underplays the significance of losing any more of that beautiful beach?

When there are two Vista/Signature ships at HMC, as often happens, there will soon be too little beach to accomodate everyone if this continues. I find loss of beach about the worst thing that can happen to HMC during these storms.........

of course, after loss of life or injury to man or animals.

There has been a great deal of erosion in the brief 15 or less years HAL has been using that island.

Am I the only one who thinks 'only beach erosion' underplays the significance of losing any more of that beautiful beach?

When there are two Vista/Signature ships at HMC, as often happens, there will soon be too little beach to accomodate everyone if this continues. I find loss of beach about the worst thing that can happen to HMC during these storms.........

of course, after loss of life or injury to man or animals.

There has been a great deal of erosion in the brief 15 or less years HAL has been using that island.

If it is anything like Fire Island in New York- there the beach erodes and gets replaced by nature itself. I have seen it happen again this summer. Right now there is no beach left on Fire island.

Archived