Not good news for Half Moon Cay

oceanlov1

According to John Heald, senior cruise director for Carnival, I quote from his Facebook "early reports are that Grand Turk may be ok but Half Moon and Princess Cays are in line for a hammering."

Love Half Moon Cay!

Yikes

Bad news for the ship/bar on shore! :(

If HMC does receive significant damage I would imagine a hard corporate decision will have to be made. Would Carnival put forth a huge and costly large construction teams, supplies and equipment on the island immediately to get it ready for the upcoming Caribbean cruise season or put repair on hold while other potential storms are already forming and the possibility of being struck again?

I had long hoped a hurricaine would lift the pirate ship and float it out to sea never to be seen again. We'll see. I had better be careful what I wish for because I would hate to see anything bad happen to the rest of this lovely island retreat. Can hardly wait to go there again on our Maasdam TA in November. Fingers crossed only the Jolie Rouge was made to walk the plank by the storm.

I had long hoped a hurricaine would lift the pirate ship and float it out to sea never to be seen again. We'll see. I had better be careful what I wish for because I would hate to see anything bad happen to the rest of this lovely island retreat. Can hardly wait to go there again on our Maasdam TA in November. Fingers crossed only the Jolie Rouge was made to walk the plank by the storm.

What is not to like about the pirate ship? :confused:

According to John Heald, senior cruise director for Carnival, I quote from his Facebook "early reports are that Grand Turk may be ok but Half Moon and Princess Cays are in line for a hammering."

Love Half Moon Cay!

Yikes

Sorry to read this! It is my favorite private island. Sitting at the bar, beer in hand, in the shade overlooking the beach was etched in my memory as a great view! :)

If HMC does receive significant damage I would imagine a hard corporate decision will have to be made. Would Carnival put forth a huge and costly large construction teams, supplies and equipment on the island immediately to get it ready for the upcoming Caribbean cruise season or put repair on hold while other potential storms are already forming and the possibility of being struck again?

Given significant damage, the peak of the hurricane season will be past before repairs would get started anyway. Any delay to wait out the season would be pretty minor and probably would be dependent on actual conditions.

I had long hoped a hurricaine would lift the pirate ship and float it out to sea never to be seen again.
Some think it ain't elegant. Or something along those lines:rolleyes:

OMG - this had me LOL.

so true.

You want elegant?

Enjoy High Tea on the ship.:)

We want hard drinks so we can get drunk fast!!

:):)

Let`s hope all is well with our HMC.

Are you sure HAL is the right line for you? I've known HAL cruisers to enjoy an adult beverage - but to "want hard drinks so we can get drunk fast"?? Not what I've been used to being surrounded with.

I really hope that HMC comes through okay.

As far as the Pirate Bar...what a fun place. It is located on the beach which is supposed to be a fun area...hence a fun bar. While people think it may detract from the beauty of the beach area, I feel this is a nice addition to the island. There is still plenty of beautiful beach on the island.

:) :)

I so love HMC....I wish it well...and I too hope the horses are safe. It is my favorite place to relax....."I wish I could stay here forever" was made for me!!! I fell asleep in the hammock in the breeze last time I was there....memories. I do hope we get to stop there in November on the Eurodam.

I can live with the poor aesthetics of the Pirate Bar. I just don't have to look at it.

I don't enjoy the same freedom, however, from the overly loud racket the band makes.

The serenity of the waves lapping against the shore is what makes a beachfront experience special. I can go to the Northern Lights any night of the week I want my eardrums blasted out.

Because Irene has become such a powerful storm, it will probably cause a lot of damage to the northeast U.S. later this week.

Its same power, however, has likely sapped most of the heat energy from the Bahamian waters, so any further storms in that area this season should be weaker.

The Gulf of Mexico, however, continues to heat like a cauldron...

Here's my prayer that no one and nothing on HMC is hurt or damaged. The last time a major Hurricane hit HMC head-on like this many of the Cabanas were severely damaged if not outright flattened and much of the vegetation taller than a small bush was ripped off the island. I pray this doesn't happen again.

I remember going to HMC after the last hurricaine hit and thinking it looked odd until I realized the trees were stripped. Last time we were there it was back to its beautiful tropical self and now SIGH!! Trees can be replanted and vegatation can regrow, I do pray for those lives that may be in harms way and those whose livelyhood depend on our visits to that wonderful place.

Archived