Not good news for Half Moon Cay

oceanlov1

This is from the Jack's Shack group on Facebook:

"Thanks for all your messages and concern. The shack, Jack and Janet's new house, Grand Turk and Topher all survived 'Irene' with lots of damp towels, slight island flooding but the electricity is back and some internet. Jack Janet, and Topher"

If you don't know where Jack's Shack is - It's on Grand Turk just down the beach from the port - to the left as you're standing on the beach looking back at the ship.

:)

Really hope that HMC comes through this ok; but worry more for the folks that make a living there. Times are hard enough already without mother nature kicking up her heals. Even with the pirate ship, it is still my favorite "kick back on the beach" spots.

BTW picture below is from HMC in my usual pose.

This is from the Jack's Shack group on Facebook:

"Thanks for all your messages and concern. The shack, Jack and Janet's new house, Grand Turk and Topher all survived 'Irene' with lots of damp towels, slight island flooding but the electricity is back and some internet. Jack Janet, and Topher"

If you don't know where Jack's Shack is - It's on Grand Turk just down the beach from the port - to the left as you're standing on the beach looking back at the ship.

:)

Are you sure about your directions? JACKS web site shows it to the left as you would be viewing from the ship; see http://www.jacksshack.tc/Home.php So, if you're standing on the beach looking at the ship, wouldn't JACKS be to the right?

I had long hoped a hurricaine would lift the pirate ship and float it out to sea never to be seen again. We'll see. I had better be careful what I wish for because I would hate to see anything bad happen to the rest of this lovely island retreat. Can hardly wait to go there again on our Maasdam TA in November. Fingers crossed only the Jolie Rouge was made to walk the plank by the storm.

Wow is the only thing I can say about that comment. I hope they come thru the hurricane safe and with no damage.

Wow is the only thing I can say about that comment. I hope they come thru the hurricane safe and with no damage.

I forgot to add I had hoped the pirate ship would be lifted out to sea with the strains of Wagner's Flying Dutchman overture playing in the background, fated to endlessly ply the seas never to see port ever again. :p

I am also hoping that HMC has as little dammage as possible.

The forcasts keep indicating that Irene will be passing over the NC, Outer banks, then up the DELMARVA coastline and the New Jersey Shore, finnally passing over Long Island and up through Connecticut into New England. I remember growing up in Connecticut a Hurricane in 1972, I think, when we were hit by a storm that took this same path. Our basement ended up with 3 feet of water and we had to evacuate to my Sister's house, which was in a higher elevation part of town. It was almost a week before we could return home. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the storm.

On another note - What exactly is this "Pirate Bar" everyone is talking about? When was this put up and where is it located? I'm pretty sure I would have made note of it last November when we were last on HMC if it was there then!

On another note - What exactly is this "Pirate Bar" everyone is talking about? When was this put up and where is it located? I'm pretty sure I would have made note of it last November when we were last on HMC if it was there then!
There was a big furor when this was first built, apparently just after you were there. Here's a thread with 304 posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1339588&highlight=captain+morgan+pirate+bar

Thanks Judy - We're in the midst of the summer dreariness here, so needed a little pick-me-up

;)

Brian if it's a bit to Gloomy over there you can always come over and fry with all of us in the LOVELY Central Valley... ;) :D :rolleyes:

"Need cruise!!" :eek:

• 1 year later...
I wonder if there is shelter for the horses or are they sent to Eleuthera?

Eluthera got clobbered that means Princess cay and Halfmoon cay got swept away ! The cabanas were flying around like kites I dont think cruises will be stopping there till repairs are made. That usually takes a month or longer depending on the extent of the damages.

Perhaps the Turks or Nassau will be substituted as a port call??:eek:

Eluthera got clobbered that means Princess cay and Halfmoon cay got swept away ! The cabanas were flying around like kites I dont think cruises will be stopping there till repairs are made. That usually takes a month or longer depending on the extent of the damages.

You did realize this thread was a year old. They were talking about Irene, not Sandy.

Bad luck two years in a row???

This thread is from 2011....not from the current storm

It may be a thread from last year, but it is relevent to Sandy. I hope everything is OK. I was just at Coco Cay two weeks ago and everything was so nice and tranquil and will be at HMC in December.

I do hope the jellyfish took a nice ride north though. :rolleyes:

My prayers with all in harms way.

I wonder if there is shelter for the horses or are they sent to Eleuthera?

Would likely depend on what they are predicting damage-wise. Horses are intelligent and if they are allowed to go out of their pen can fend for themselves quite effectively. However if this was to be a 10, 25, 50 year storm I have no doubt they would get them to safety on Eleuthera

Report I heard said Eleuthra was spared major damage.

I think Eurodam is still scheduled to call at HMC so likely it is relatively intact or those plans will be changed.

It's a charter on Eurodam so maybe we won't have many reports here on CC.

I think it ain't elegant.....and that's the nicest thing I can say about it.....LOL

Agreed. It's an eyesore.

I love beach bars, but that one is a bit much and it's out of place on such a beautiful, and purposley under-developed, island.

Yes I understand it's more for the Carnie folks than HAL guests.

Archived