traveling w/diabetes

pettrib

Hi All,

I just found out that I am diabetic:( and will be traveling in Nov. on the Pride. Have any other diabetics found Carnival to be accomodating to any dietary needs? Thanks in advance!

I recommend that you meet with a diabetes educator and nutritionist if you haven't already. Many of them have been on cruises and can give you great advice on cruising with diabetes.

While I am not diabetic, I know they will handle your dietary needs. Lots of people are diabetic these days. Just contact Carnival special needs dept. before your cruise and they will handle it. I have seen sugar free desserts on the MDR menu and also in the Lido. I think if you need a fridge for your meds they will do that also. Best to check with Carnival. Bon Voyage.

The Carnival menus are about to change slightly from what I last enjoyed ( September 2010 ), but I do say, that at least in the main dining room, there are many options that are lower in calories and sugar. The Spa Cuisine (lower calorie option ) that I have ordered has always tasted great, and didnt lack in taste and or quality. The same for the diet cakes on the dessert menu. ( Just dont go for the diet Pumpkin pie!, it is vile. diet lemon, coconut or orange cakes are very tasty ) On Lido deck, I would suggest sticking to the fresh foods, and stay away from things that are floating in sauce. I know it is hard to practice moderation, but that is the key. There are plenty of things to eat. Avoid, white pasta and bread, and processed foods. Try to go for anything whole wheat/whole grain. Eating in the MDR for lunch and dinner is probably a good idea. The items on the menu are easier to decipher as to what is lower in calorie and sugar. I suggest you bring a blood sugar monitoring kit, and keep an eye on how your sugar is. Dont worry, lots of options if you can stay away from the warm chocolate melting cake etc., and have a great cruise.:)

Assuming you are type 2, the above recommendations stand. If not, consult your physician pre cruise, and also make sure that Carnival is adivised of any dietary needs, and storage for insulin.

Your nutritionist will be able to give you a list of foods that you can have. The great thing about cruising is that there are a ton of options. Tons of fresh veggies and low carb options. Only bad part...alcohol is one of those things you really have to watch...it metabolizes really quickly into glucose...good part, may lower your S&S bill:D. Make sure you get the form for a sharps container for your testing lancets. Have fun but be aware of what you eat and drink.

I'll let you know in 2 weeks, when I sail for the first time since my diagnosis.

I'm prepared for managing my diet, and am confident that Carnival has plenty of options available. Watching carbs is key for me, which is easy enough. And leaving off the sauces and asking about sugar in dressings is something I've heard countless others asking.

One thing I've learned from the boards is to be careful of the 'sugar free' desserts, as the carb count can be pretty high - that (for me) is as bad a sugar is.

I'm sure you'll do fine! Just keep reminding yourself how important managing your levels are. A slice of cake now is not worth the complications later.

My hubby is Type 2. Son is Type 1. Just remember tons of carbs in those juices, like pineapple, orange, etc...Also, if you get the soda card and a soda tastes like "real" soda, ask the server to double check and stress the importance of this. A 16 oz glass of Coke would send my son from a normal blood sugar to 400 in about 20 minutes without insulin.

You didn't say if you were on insulin. If so, they sell travel packs for diabetics with a compartment for ice so you can travel with insulin. Always, always take extra just in case. If your ship doesn't have a frig in the room (like the Victory for our January cruise), guest services will freeze your kit ice for you and keep your insulin refrigerated. Just ask. We just asked the room stewart for the sharps container. I've found that I'm so active on cruises that my blood sugar was even lower than at home. Good advice about making food choices from previous posters. I appreciate that the ship might make some special accomodations for me, but I think it's important to try to adapt the real world to fit me. Just remember the new ADA guidelines and fill your plate with veggies and protein.

Libtrek

I am an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises since diagnosis. Of course, I adjust my meal bolus to suit what I eat. Some of the foods that one would expect to send blood sugar off the map are not all that bad. I discovered that I can eat Warm Chocolate Melting Cake by adding about 1 extra unit of insulin.

If you are on oral meds, you must watch your diet a bit more closely than I must. That being said, Carnival's portions are reasonable, unlike most restaurants and that will help you. Yes, you can meet with your waiter, the maitre d and possibly a chef on the ship to help you plan. Watch breads and breakfast items as they are often extremely high carb.

I used to carry a pocket guide I picked up at a grocery checkout. It was a great help when I was learning to estimate carbohydrates in a meal. I prefer this system to doing exchanges. but you have plenty of time to learn enough about your disease and your body to do well.

Remember, you can manage your diabetes or it will manage your life and that is not a pleasant experience.

Doc

PS: You might talk to your doctor about insulin. Most doctors in the U.S. are reluctant to start people on insulin until their condition is far from ideal. I believe that multiple daily injections of insulin is the best way to manage many cases of Type 2.

Lots of options to manage your diabetes, I am type 2 during the cruise I go to the gym and also do a lot of walking. I never had a problem in any of the cruise lines meeting my needs with diabetes, actually I have better numbers while cruising since I am relax and stress does affect sugar levels. Educate yourself and you should not have any problems !!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am type 2 pill dependent and I carb count as well. I literally only found out a week ago so, I'm learning to adjust. I do have a nutritionist and have traveled with Carnival before so I have been discussing with her possibbly printing the new menus and making some food decisions from those (I am in love w/ the Bitter & Blanc, so I need to see how I can have that:)). Again, thanks for the feedback!

I am an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic. I have been on 6 Carnival cruises since diagnosis. Of course, I adjust my meal bolus to suit what I eat. Some of the foods that one would expect to send blood sugar off the map are not all that bad. I discovered that I can eat Warm Chocolate Melting Cake by adding about 1 extra unit of insulin.

If you are on oral meds, you must watch your diet a bit more closely than I must. That being said, Carnival's portions are reasonable, unlike most restaurants and that will help you. Yes, you can meet with your waiter, the maitre d and possibly a chef on the ship to help you plan. Watch breads and breakfast items as they are often extremely high carb.

I used to carry a pocket guide I picked up at a grocery checkout. It was a great help when I was learning to estimate carbohydrates in a meal. I prefer this system to doing exchanges. but you have plenty of time to learn enough about your disease and your body to do well.

Remember, you can manage your diabetes or it will manage your life and that is not a pleasant experience.

Doc

PS: You might talk to your doctor about insulin. Most doctors in the U.S. are reluctant to start people on insulin until their condition is far from ideal. I believe that multiple daily injections of insulin is the best way to manage many cases of Type 2.

I too am an insulin dependant type 2 diabetic. I eat just about anything I want by simply adjusting my insulin intake. One thing I found on cruises, I am better off with a regular dessert off the menu than the "sugar-free" or sugar-less...they load them up with fruit which has a high sugar content. As far as drinking (alcohol) goes, I find I can consume red wine such as cabernet with very little effect but mixed cocktails have too much sugar in the mix. The "stay away from white food" crowd is right....lots of carbs. I have found that the perfect diabetic diet is South Beach......lots of variety, very tasty, and good for ya! I totally agree with Doc about insulin...best thing that happened to me!

I too was diagnosed back in the Begining of June type 2 and on Pills...Ive lost 17 lbs already just changing the way I eat...We too are slated to Sail in November and was a bit worried but I can always have them put the sauces on the side...and my nutritionist also said your better off with the "regular" stuff than the "sugar free" because of the sugar alcohol which is even worse for you...good tip on the "soda" I drink some diet coke so I will have to make sure....

Pettrib & All ....

I'm a Type 2 which I manage totally by diet. I've never had a problem finding foods I can eat on any cruise line including Carnival without asking for a special menu.

The key is knowing for yourself what you can and can't eat. Understanding (which you do) the "sugar free" things aren't always that good for diabetics ... so you're off to a good start.

It's not really that bad of a thing to do and you'll be able to still eat some favorite no-no foods from time to to time when you get the hang of factoring them into your diet. Good Luck to you!

While I am not diabetic, I know they will handle your dietary needs. Lots of people are diabetic these days. Just contact Carnival special needs dept. before your cruise and they will handle it. I have seen sugar free desserts on the MDR menu and also in the Lido. I think if you need a fridge for your meds they will do that also. Best to check with Carnival. Bon Voyage.

You can request a medical refrigerator, but that doesn't mean you will get it. Last fall I shared a cabin on the Fantasy with a diabetic friend, and she called Carnival Special Needs Deptarment at least 4 months ahead of time to request a refrigerator for her insulin. She also told our PVP, and it was noted on her registration form. She went to guest services as soon as we went to our cabin and saw that she did not have a refrigerator. She was told all of the refrigerators already had been given to other people even though they showed her that that they had her request. She had to store her insulin with Guest Service, wait in line to get it, return to the cabin or go to a public restroom to inject her insulin, and then take the insulin back to guest services and stand in line again to give them the insulin. Since we had late dining, we went to the early shows. If she stayed for the entire show, she was late to dinner because of the time it took to take care of her needs. The alternative was to leave the shows early so that she could go into dinner with the rest of our group. It wasn't a serious problem, but it was annoying and inconvenient for her.

Have been on multiple cruises, I am a Type 2 numbers are way better on a cruise than home. I stay active less stress and watch the white. You can drink tea and occasional diet coke or what ever but Carnival always unlocks fridge for my insulin and gives me a sharps not ever had a problem. Enjoy!

Stay away from booze, desserts (other than fresh fruit) and noodle/rice/potato dishes and breads. A cruise is good because you can order things that suit your diet while the rest of the family can enjoy what suits them. Vegetable portions are pretty small so be careful not to fill up all on beef or fatty meats. Ask for more veggies and fruit. It works well for our family. Walk, take the stairs, go to the gym. You'll have a great time!

I'm diabetic too. Don't drink OJ it's liquid sugar and avoid other juices. Watch the carbs. Ask for whole wheat pasta and bread. If you must have potatoes eat only half. Watch the cocktails and beer. As for desserts i agree with not eating the "diet" desserts not good for you. Eat half a regular dessert once a day only. And walk, walk, walk. You need carbs to function, but avoid "white" carbs. White sugar, rice, potatoes, baked goods (white flour). Limit fruit and only fresh if you can. I was a big milk drinker and found out it has 13 g carbs in 1 cup! Get a book and look up your favorite foods so you can plan ahead.

Good luck!

I relay the following only as a warning about carbs. I take 1 unit of insulin for every 10 carbs I injest. Most meals require 3 to 6 units. McDonalds and other fast food places ( Quarter pounder with cheeze, fries, and diet coke) require 10 units! Subway offers "low carb" sandwiches but be careful what you put on them and watch the cookie and the chips, they'll throw you way off quickly.I take medforim as well as insulin and find insulin to be very convenient. By using Lantus, once you have started a bottle which should last almost 28 days you no longer need to refrigerate it. You do, of course, refrigerate any back up you may have with you.If you can't get a refrigerator, just take a new bottle with you. Unless you are cruising around the world you will have more than enough.Earlier this summer we took a three week, 4000 mile driving tour to various Civil War sites and I never opened the extra vial I had brought.

I recommend that you meet with a diabetes educator and nutritionist if you haven't already. Many of them have been on cruises and can give you great advice on cruising with diabetes.

I also have diabetes (since 2001) and have been cruising since 2005. The first thing I would suggest is that you get a letter from your Dr. stating that you have diabetes and are required to carry a glucose meter with needles and if you require insulin, seringes with needles. If insulin-dependent, you should purchase a small freezer pack to travel as you need to keep your unopened insulin cold. Once in your cabin, you can leave your insulin in the bar fridge, but please advise your cabin steward, as he/she may throw it out without knowing what it is. On the last night of the cruise, call guest services and let them know that you need to put your ice pack in the freezer before travelling. They will pick it up and you can get it back early the next morning. I always take an extra vial of insulin in case something happens (it breaks, get lost, etc.).

As for dietary needs, there are usually items on the menu that are geared for people with medical conditions whether it be diabetes, heart conditions, low carb diets, etc. You can discuss with your waiter (if you have set dining - which I would suggest you book - as a diabetic, you will need to have your meals at regular times). Then he/she can then take care of you for the rest of the cruise!

Final note - make sure you keep your meds in your carry-on - not in your regular luggage!

Sorry for being so long-winded.

Good luck!

I have Type 2 Diabetes and control it with diet and Metformin. Some things I do on a cruise to control my Diabetes:

1. Walk more and take stairs when ever possible...it helps to have 2 teenagers who avoid the elevators like the plague.

2. Eat a small breakfast and lunch making sure to keep the carbs around 60. Sometimes (rarely) I have a snack but again I try to keep the carbs around 15-30 depending on what I ate for breakfast or lunch.

3. Drink water and ice tea. I usually only have 1-2 alcoholic drinks per cruise.

4. For dinner I limit myself to 1 small roll, 1-2 appetizers, 1/2 or less of my main entree and 1/2 or less of my dessert. DH and DS are handy to have around to finish what I don't eat so I am not tempted to finish it myself.

Finally I agree with the others...don't do the sugar-free deserts. They really don't taste that good and often times they have more carbs than the regular dessert. I have found that I can eat almost anything in moderation, however there are certain things I just stay away from because the carbs are just to high and not worth it... like juice, smoothies and shakes. I'd rather eat a meal than drink my carbs.

Good luck.

My disabled DD is on 3 different insulins - 2 of which are injectible and we prefer to refrigerate when traveling. We've actually found cruises work best for her (she also requires a gluten-free diet).

Carnival was great last year. I completed a Special Needs Form and emailed the Special Needs department. Her dietary needs and all other requirements (fridge, sharps container etc.) were noted. I re-confirmed 3 weeks out to make sure the info got to the ship.

Once on the ship we went to the Maitre'd and was assured we would have someone work through the diet with us. It worked wonderfully. We selected our next night's meal and breakfast and lunch. They did have several sugar-free options (desserts are pretty good) but everyone is right in that it is the carbs you need to worry about. Many times sugar-free can actually have more carbs. I had to guess on the carb counts but usually got it pretty close. DD ate alot of salads for her first courses. Also ate alot of meat and cheese (no carbs).

The ship actually makes it easy. Just contact ahead of time and be sure to inform your waiter etc. If in doubt, ask. They really do cater to please, especially special needs.

Archived