single cruiser question(bachelor cabins)

ckr31

None on Princess that I have ever heard of or seen.

I take that back, long ago on the Regal or the Old Crown Princess (maybe both) they did offer cabins for singles, but when those ships left the fleet, I haven't seen or heard of them since.

Does anyone know anything about something called Bachelor cabins.It is suppose to be for single travelers not to have to pay for dbl occupancy
Not on Princess. Absolutely no "single" cabins or single rates other than paying a percentage of the 2nd person rate. You can expect to pay anywhere from 150-200% of the per-person rate for a single in a cabin.

The old Regal and Crown Princess had a number of true single cabins but both ships left the fleet years ago. The cabins were 2/3 the size of a standard cabin but had only a single bed which meant they were very roomy and comfortable. These cabins had portholes, not windows or balconies. There was a 2nd bed that came down from the wall for a 2nd person in the cabin.

Princess used to have a "share" program whereby you could book a cabin at a per-person rate and Princess would match you up with a roommate. If they couldn't find someone, you got to cruise single in the cabin without paying double. They discontinued this several years ago. Not sure of the reasons but I know of some people who, when assigned a roommate, refused to cruise with them and raised a stink, claiming medical reasons why they couldn't share. I'm guessing it wound up being more trouble than it was worth.

Many years back I had a single cabin on the old Island Princess. I don't remember what I paid back then for it. I was new to cruising and didn't know much about pricing. It was a very roomy and comfy cabin.

To the OP, you may want to check out the NCL Epic. They have single cabins which I understand are pretty popular.

how i wish princess had single cabins! maybe the new ships will. then again i don't think i'll be on them, they are too big!

I too, hope that the Royal Princess and her sister have some sort of accommodations for singles.

I wis Princess had the single/studio cabins like NCL has. Although I have sailed on NCL on the past, I have no desire to go on the EPIC, I prefer Princess. It would be good if they look out for the solo passengers on the new ships that they build. Although I am able to find some good deals with Princess with a good TA where I can get cabins for less money than the studios on NCL.....

Not on Princess. Absolutely no "single" cabins or single rates other than paying a percentage of the 2nd person rate. You can expect to pay anywhere from 150-200% of the per-person rate for a single in a cabin.

The old Regal and Crown Princess had a number of true single cabins but both ships left the fleet years ago. The cabins were 2/3 the size of a standard cabin but had only a single bed which meant they were very roomy and comfortable. These cabins had portholes, not windows or balconies. There was a 2nd bed that came down from the wall for a 2nd person in the cabin.

Princess used to have a "share" program whereby you could book a cabin at a per-person rate and Princess would match you up with a roommate. If they couldn't find someone, you got to cruise single in the cabin without paying double. They discontinued this several years ago. Not sure of the reasons but I know of some people who, when assigned a roommate, refused to cruise with them and raised a stink, claiming medical reasons why they couldn't share. I'm guessing it wound up being more trouble than it was worth.

Actually they still have them. They're singles and mingles cruises. They have four this year on princess.com one's even listed for august 31.

Actually they still have them. They're singles and mingles cruises. They have four this year on princess.com one's even listed for august 31.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about a theme cruise or the cabin share program? Are these cruises set up for singles to share cabins and the cost of the cabin? I've never heard of this program.

You couldn't pay me to share a cabin with a total stranger. I don't even want to share one with someone I know.

THAT's what I keep telling DH!! :D It's like that K.T. Oslin song...Live Close By, Visit Often. Two cabins, two bathrooms...now that's what I call the perfect cruise!

;)

Does anyone know anything about something called Bachelor cabins.It is suppose to be for single travelers not to have to pay for dbl occupancy

I've heard this on Princess. The only thing I can think of something similar to this is on the Norwegian Epic which has 128 inside studio cabins priced around $1K for singles for a 7 day Caribbean Cruises.

My wife and I love to cruise my Daughter is single,and is working very hard on her dissertation.sometimes she just wants to get away for a little RR however it's not in her budget to pay double the price or a percentage more just cause she is single.I think all cruise lines she really wake up and not punish you for being single.Maybe you are married and you just wanna get away on a short cruise alone you should not have to pay extra for that.just my two cents

Pam, Check the Princess website here: http://www.princess.com/why_princess/singles/index.jsp

A few cruises they are still matching up passengers with a same sex room mate. Traveling solo still carrys the singles rate. ;)

Ahhh... I learn something new every day. Thanks!

You couldn't pay me to share a cabin with a total stranger. I don't even want to share one with someone I know.
This is why, when I cruise with my sister and/or friends, we each get a separate cabin. Fortunately, we're able to do this but some aren't. I'll tell you though, it confuses the heck out of the people at check-in because they can see that we're obviously cruising together and they want to push all of us to the same check-in person. Few understand or "get" that we're in separate cabins and don't want to create a mini-line to check in three separate cabins.

I understand where the OP is coming from, though. I don't like paying a premium but do so because it's the only way I can cruise. For the OP: do some research and find a TA who will discount a cruise. Sometimes, on a relatively inexpensive itinerary, even with the premium for a single, it's not too bad.

Pam, Check the Princess website here: http://www.princess.com/why_princess/singles/index.jsp

A few cruises they are still matching up passengers with a same sex room mate. Traveling solo still carrys the singles rate. ;)

i have called the number and you are not connected to princess, you are connected to a well-known travel agency. there is a premium for these singles cruises and they are more expensive than princess' posted rates let alone the rate a good ta can give you.

and yes. they do offer roomate matching--not what i want.

i love this. :D

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about a theme cruise or the cabin share program? Are these cruises set up for singles to share cabins and the cost of the cabin? I've never heard of this program.

I'm sorry for the delay. I was referring to the singles share cabins. They're called "singles and mingles" and you have to list at least 60 days out to get paired with a roomie. Princess runs a few a year still.

i have called the number and you are not connected to princess, you are connected to a well-known travel agency. there is a premium for these singles cruises and they are more expensive than princess' posted rates let alone the rate a good ta can give you.
I also saw that the rates were higher than I could get through Princess on my own (and my TA would have an even better rate). But I thought the higher rate was because they had special private events for the singles group that you would not get booking on your own.

Sorry it's a bit off topic but do Princess put singles together in the dining room? My Mum is going on her own (Scandinavia cruise) and she says that all ships offer some kind of meet and mingle for singles.

Thanks for any info

Kay

Sorry it's a bit off topic but do Princess put singles together in the dining room? My Mum is going on her own (Scandinavia cruise) and she says that all ships offer some kind of meet and mingle for singles.

Thanks for any info

Kay

Not in my experience with Princess. I always ask for a "large". I've had only one bad experience that had nothing to do with being solo. The woman next to me coud not shut her trap, and was loud to boot. I switched to Anytime pronto.

My only Carnival cruise my table, a four top, was all male singles. That worked out surprisingly well.

Princess cruises sponsor "Gathering For Solo Travelers" meetings. My most recent seven day Crown Princess cruise there were two. The first was held at 9AM day three, and again day five in the Crooner's Bar. Day four there was a 5PM "solo's Get Together" at the Wheelhouse Bar.

Some cruises also offer a "singles" meeting. The difference is self explanatory.

HAL also sponsors solo get togethers.

Archived