What's up with the bungee cord?

KrystalWaters

Okay..i was trying to wait until it was closer to the time that we cruise to ask this question but when I explained to my husband the importance of buying a bungee cord he then proceeds to ask me why. Well my reply has been,"because...because CC told me so!" :eek:LOL So my question to you, my CC family, how do i hook up the bungee cord to keep my sliding door open? Any pictures of this? I can't seem to picture how the set-up looks like. Can ya tell this is my first balcony. I'm too excited. I already imagine myself sleeping with the door open...aaah.:D

Hi there!

We actually used to bring a bungee cord with us, based on everyone's recommendations, and yes, we used it to keep the door open on our balcony. We'd hook on end on the door handle and the other to the balcony divider. But since then we've taken several more cruises and have learned that the rubber door jamb provided with each cabin works just as well. Simply jam the "pointed end" into the space created by the open door (where the hinges are) and it keeps the door open just fine.

Not all doors open outward. some are sliders, I've had both. Another potential use is in case your suitcase gets damaged, it helps keep it closed (along with duct tape). Duct tape can be great to keep drawers and closet doors from flying open during rough seas.

Also, the bathroom (Coast Guard & Navy = the head) door also has an auto-closer on it. Bungee can be use to hold door open to air out the bathroom after a steamy shower.

As mentioned, duck tape and bungee(s) are great emergency repair fixes while traveling.

Okay..i was trying to wait until it was closer to the time that we cruise to ask this question but when I explained to my husband the importance of buying a bungee cord he then proceeds to ask me why. Well my reply has been,"because...because CC told me so!" :eek:LOL So my question to you, my CC family, how do i hook up the bungee cord to keep my sliding door open? Any pictures of this? I can't seem to picture how the set-up looks like. Can ya tell this is my first balcony. I'm too excited. I already imagine myself sleeping with the door open...aaah.:D

You don't need the bungee cord. You can use the door stop in you cabin to hold the balcony door open.

:D That's funny! :D

Like others said, the doorstop works great!

I've also used the free toothbrush the steward left.

I've also used a chair.

OP don't forget the clothes pins!!

I have 8 packed ...used for holding whatever secure on bungee cord hooked in place on balcony. You don't want anything flying out to sea:D

Also used for clipping to bottom of shower curtain .. you don't want a shower wedgie:eek:

Very funny!

Sadly I don't have pictures, but I can describe how to bungee your balcony door.

You'll need an 18" bungee. Hook one end to the inside of the door handle. Hook the other end to the bracket that holds the balcony divider to the balcony railing. I loop it around the bracket so it attaches to the bottom edge.

Enjoy your balcony cabin. There is nothing so soothing as sleeping with the balcony door open and hearing the ocean as the ship sails.

Very funny!

Sadly I don't have pictures, but I can describe how to bungee your balcony door.

You'll need an 18" bungee. Hook one end to the inside of the door handle. Hook the other end to the bracket that holds the balcony divider to the balcony railing. I loop it around the bracket so it attaches to the bottom edge.

Enjoy your balcony cabin. There is nothing so soothing as sleeping with the balcony door open and hearing the ocean as the ship sails.

Hello Stargate fan :-)

I use the bungee cord to keep Goa'uld out of my cabin :D

In 25 cruises on Carnival I have never seen a sliding door on Carnival and we've had regular, aft, and suite balconies. Which ships have them? I prefer the sliders. If you have a regular door opening to the balcony just use the door stopper which is usually by the door to the corridor and insert it into the door jam of the balcony door about half way up. It works great.

We always bring a bungee to keep the balcony door open. The majority of balcony rooms do not have sliding doors.

I never had sliding doors on Carnival, which ships have sliding doors? I know Princess CL ships (owned by CCL) have sliding doors on their cabins.

We had our first Balcony on the Glory last month. I had DH pack a bungee cord because that is what I read here too:p. We never used it. We must have had a faulty door because it was very hard to open and it stayed open to where ever you opened it to. You had to push it (if on the balcony) or pull it (if in the room) to get it to shut. DH thought I was crazy for having him pack that bungee:o.

In 25 cruises on Carnival I have never seen a sliding door on Carnival and we've had regular, aft, and suite balconies. Which ships have them? I prefer the sliders. If you have a regular door opening to the balcony just use the door stopper which is usually by the door to the corridor and insert it into the door jam of the balcony door about half way up. It works great.

I can't recall the ship but I have seen pictures of suites with sliding doors. Not standards though.

We just propped the door open with a regular writing pen. Open the door as wide as it will go, put the pen (lengthwise) in the track and then let the pressure of the door hold the pen in place. It worked like a charm. no need to pack the bungee for door holding purposes when a pen will work just fine.

Hello Stargate fan :-)

I use the bungee cord to keep Goa'uld out of my cabin :D

OMG! you made me laugh out loud. Good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee!

Thanks for the guffaw!

I still miss that show. Though I have all seasons of SG-1 and two seasons of Atlantis on DVD, I still catch them every time they are on TV. Even miss SGU, which was sooo good at the end.

To keep this on topic ;), 18" bungee works well. Don't get a very long bungee because there will be too much slack and the door will swing.

We just propped the door open with a regular writing pen. Open the door as wide as it will go, put the pen (lengthwise) in the track and then let the pressure of the door hold the pen in place. It worked like a charm. no need to pack the bungee for door holding purposes when a pen will work just fine.

A table knife works good from Room Service also. One of my cruises didn't have a door stop, so I had to improvise.

If your bungee cord is too long, you can tie a knot in the cord to shorten it.

Melanie

Not all doors open outward. some are sliders, I've had both. Another potential use is in case your suitcase gets damaged, it helps keep it closed (along with duct tape). Duct tape can be great to keep drawers and closet doors from flying open during rough seas.

Careful with the Duct Tape. It was taken from my carry on by port security in June (Tampa) along with extra plastic wire ties that I use on dive gear, to "lock" suitcases, etc.

Both are now on the "naughty list" and considered constraining devices.

I asked how I was expected to control my teenage SONS or my DW without them .... ;)

B

Archived