Do you think NCL owes them anything?

Cruiser303!

Cruise Critic posted an article regarding the Hero's and Zero's (Cruise Lines) of how they handled customer service during Hurricane Irene...this thread was mentioned as well as quotes from two posters:

Zero and Hero: Delayed Refunds From NCL?

Again, context is everything. While the lines claim they’re not obliged to serve up any compensation for Mother Nature’s fickle tricks, you felt it would be a great PR move to do so. But NCL, which found itself in the same situation as Carnival and Celebrity, waffled while a 230-plus-post thread materialized, on which readers heatedly debated the merits of compensation.

Cruise Critic posted an article regarding the Hero's and Zero's (Cruise Lines) of how they handled customer service during Hurricane Irene...this thread was mentioned as well as quotes from two posters:

Again, context is everything. While the lines claim they’re not obliged to serve up any compensation for Mother Nature’s fickle tricks, you felt it would be a great PR move to do so. But NCL, which found itself in the same situation as Carnival and Celebrity, waffled while a 230-plus-post thread materialized, on which readers heatedly debated the merits of compensation.

Check it out - here is the link to the article:

Good article. Thanks for posting the link.

Sorry Im late to the game . This may have been said already , but My feeling is if they miss a day due to weather the pax should get 1/7 th thier cruise price back

(seven day cruise) . So an inside wont get much but a suite pax will get $$$$.

seems simple

Hey , can I wear shorts in the dinning room ??:p

Check it out - here is the link to the article:

Wow!

I'm thinking the warm fuzziness that NCL offers supporting and during CC's M&G may not be so warm and fuzzy any longer.

Wow!

I'm thinking the warm fuzziness that NCL offers supporting and during CC's M&G may not be so warm and fuzzy any longer.

:( I think you're right.

I have to say that the response of NCL was not what I expected from them.

Wow!

I think this is extended to us the passengers, not to CC as a site. Just look at the limitations put on the "official" meet & greets offered by Celebrity and Royal. I have seen NCL Meet & Greets with as few ass 10 people in attendance.

I know some people think my posts are critical of NCL but in fact I love NCL's product. I have always found the landside people not as warm and fuzzy as the ship board people and I don't frankly expect that to change. The decision here was made by the land side people. You can argue if you want on the legal side of this(and I am happy to if you want) but the fact is in my opinion, its penny wise and dollar foolish. I have personally never heard of any other cruise line including NCL in the past not refunding money for the "cancelled" part of a foreshortened cruise-no matter what the reason. Everything is an act of the almighty and weather surely is. As you can see secrecy is just plain ornery.

I would expect no change in the meets and greets. The idea is to make those who are vocal your friends, and the ship board people love seeing you,,,,mostly,...

Wow!

I too think that the Meet and Greet is an important part of NCL's marketing efforts. They know CCers are a "vocal" group and would much prefer we say good things. If Irene has stirred things up, imagine the critiques if M&Gs are cut or not accommodated as well as in the past.

If I research a little? :confused: I have been on 31 cruises, on various lines, since 1989.

I'll say it again, all cruise lines act the same way after they get you onto the ship with low fares!

Sorry about that! Wasn't directed at you personally. Meant if "someone" researches... Tone is hard to interpret in a post.

I know some people think my posts are critical of NCL but in fact I love NCL's product. I have always found the landside people not as warm and fuzzy as the ship board people and I don't frankly expect that to change. The decision here was made by the land side people. You can argue if you want on the legal side of this(and I am happy to if you want) but the fact is in my opinion, its penny wise and dollar foolish. I have personally never heard of any other cruise line including NCL in the past not refunding money for the "cancelled" part of a foreshortened cruise-no matter what the reason. Everything is an act of the almighty and weather surely is. As you can see secrecy is just plain ornery.

I would expect no change in the meets and greets. The idea is to make those who are vocal your friends, and the ship board people love seeing you,,,,mostly,...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel exactly the same about NCL. Sunshine is a powerful disinfectant!

Still feel the same everyone! The staff was great as was the entertainment and Bermuda was beautiful. But NCL's choice not to refund 1/7th of the cruise (or close to it) is a BAD BUSINESS DECISION!!!

They issued everyone a $100 onboard credit for the storm. I felt this was an insult, and so did others onboard-so nominal. Plus, those on deck 4 paying say, $2,000 for the cruise received the same $100 credit as someone who paid $10,000. That is utterly ridiculous.

I do believe that many from that cruise will choose another line in the future because of NCL's poor choice not to care about repeat business. Celebrity di the right thing in this case.

As Trump says, "it's not personal, it's business". We will never return to them, and it has nothing to do with the end product. No one likes to feel ripped off.

Contracting for 7 days, receiving 6 days is MORE than a simple itinerary change, it is a reduction in a service that was already paid for.

Lawyers out there-anyone? A Class action lawsuit may get their attention. Plus, some bad publicity to boot. I hope it goes in that direction so that hard working people can be justly made whole.

Still feel the same everyone! The staff was great as was the entertainment and Bermuda was beautiful. But NCL's choice not to refund 1/7th of the cruise (or close to it) is a BAD BUSINESS DECISION!!!

They issued everyone a $100 onboard credit for the storm. I felt this was an insult, and so did others onboard-so nominal. Plus, those on deck 4 paying say, $2,000 for the cruise received the same $100 credit as someone who paid $10,000. That is utterly ridiculous.

I do believe that many from that cruise will choose another line in the future because of NCL's poor choice not to care about repeat business. Celebrity di the right thing in this case.

As Trump says, "it's not personal, it's business". We will never return to them, and it has nothing to do with the end product. No one likes to feel ripped off.

Contracting for 7 days, receiving 6 days is MORE than a simple itinerary change, it is a reduction in a service that was already paid for.

Lawyers out there-anyone? A Class action lawsuit may get their attention. Plus, some bad publicity to boot. I hope it goes in that direction so that hard working people can be justly made whole.

I'm with you on 6 days v 7 days, it is not the same cruise that we paid for. For those that have stated TOO BAD it is hurricane season, when it happens on your cruise, get back to me.

I'm with you on 6 days v 7 days, it is not the same cruise that we paid for. For those that have stated TOO BAD it is hurricane season, when it happens on your cruise, get back to me.

I carry travel insurance when I travel, especially for cruises during hurricane season.

Another regular on NCL who feels that the company went totally FUBAR on this one.

I'd love to hear from an insurance professional, an attorney, or someone that had a similar experience. NCL decided not to make people whole for the lost day, rather they are asserting that they delivered according to the contract. No one on that cruise suffered an out of pocket loss for the missing day (yes they might hotel and similar costs) will insurance pay for 1/7 of the cruuise cost?

Another regular on NCL who feels that the company went totally FUBAR on this one.

I'd love to hear from an insurance professional, an attorney, or someone that had a similar experience. NCL decided not to make people whole for the lost day, rather they are asserting that they delivered according to the contract. No one on that cruise suffered an out of pocket loss for the missing day (yes they might hotel and similar costs) will insurance pay for 1/7 of the cruuise cost?

Yep!

Yep!

Not so fast...as a retired insurance professional, my answer is "it depends"...and what it depends on are the terms, conditions and schedule of benefits provided by your insurance policy.

I just happen to have the trip cancellation policy for my upcoming cruise on the Gem sitting here in front of me. This particular policy has a flat dollar maximum benefit and per diem maximum benefit that would fall short of fully compensating someone in many higher-priced cabin categories if they were to have their cruise delayed. (PS...this particular provision is not very important to me, as I primarily buy insurance for medical benefits outside the US and medical evacuation/repatriation coverage; and secondarily for trip cancellation/interruption coverage. If a policy falls a few dollars short on travel delay and baggage loss/delay I'm willing to take that risk.)

Sure would! I have had all of this happen to me (missed every port of a cruise because of Hurricane Mitch, had the start of a cruise delayed by a day, and also was "stuck" on a ship because of a hurricane) in the past and travel insurance handled every incident. If people want to continue to gamble that is their prerogative.

No rose colored glasses here, just an enlightened realist that is also capable of maintaining balance and perspective without finding the need to bash a cruise line because of something they have absolutely no control over. ;)

We're not "bashing a cruise line for something they have absolutely no control over", were criticizing NCL for its response to that event.

We have two recent examples, both arising from Hurricane Irene, of how pressures brought to bear, at least partially by members of this forum, have gotten two corporate giants, Royal Caribbean and NCL, to recognize the shortsightedness of their initial decisions to not provide any compensation to passengers affected by the storm, and at least partially reverse course.

So, you can continue cheer leading for NCL. Right now I'm cheer leading for Cruise Critic.

...always a caveat.

You buy your insurance for what is important to you which means you are gambling on the trip going just fine during hurricane season. And when it doesn't you expect the cruise line to cover you?

Correcting an error (in this case your error) doesn't qualify as a "caveat". Since you're obviously neither an insurance professional or attorney, you based your answer on your personal experience, and that was insufficient to correctly respond to the poster.

Insurance purchase decisions are often about the willingness to assume risk.

I never said I expect the cruise line to cover me, and I never said the provisions of my policy were insufficient to cover me. I said they would be insufficient to cover someone in many of the higher cabin categories.

I do hope cruise lines make decisions that preserve customer goodwill.

So, I suppose you would also say "good riddance" to any number of long-time loyal NCL cruisers like Sid and "halos" and myself who have also expressed our opinions that NCL totally booted this one.

But them some of us are capable of maintaining balance and perspective and find no need to wear rose-colored glasses.

I am on board too as previously stated. However, I do insurance since I travel with my mom. But I do think missing a port and missing a day are apples and oranges. Didn't I just read that pax on the Spirit are going to miss 2 days and will receive refunds for 2/7 of their fare in the form of OBC. WHY WOULD THESE TWO CASES NOT BE TREATED ALIKE?

BTW, I would be fine with the OBC because I am sure It would be less than my bill anyway.

Archived