The New Straw Market

iamkidc

Is the new straw market open yet?

I thought I read it was supposed to open in August '11.

They were supposed to open sometime next month.

There's rumors that since the current straw market was seriously damaged, that they would try and get the new one open a bit earlier.

Since I' know how "fast" bahamians work.. I'd say end of October would be a better bed.

I think we'll hear something this coming week as to what they are proposing. I can't see them purchasing a new tent for just a few weeks.

Where will the location for the "new" straw market be?

They were supposed to open sometime next month.

There's rumors that since the current straw market was seriously damaged, that they would try and get the new one open a bit earlier.

Since I' know how "fast" bahamians work.. I'd say end of October would be a better bed.

I think we'll hear something this coming week as to what they are proposing. I can't see them purchasing a new tent for just a few weeks.

I spoke to one of the workers at the "new" straw market saturday. He said it would be open in a 2-3 weeks. It looked like they only had a few details left. Stalls were finished, lights were on, people were cleaning up. I think they'll be open by October for sure - especially since the tent was damaged.

Where is the new one in relation to the tent one - is it in the original location? It's been so long since I've been there, I can't remember where the original one was!

The new faces Bay Street, you can actually see it from the docks. It is pretty good size and will be so much nicer than the old straw market it. When you walk into town, you can see the sign that says "Future home of the Straw Market" or something close to that. We have watched it being built over the last year or so, progress every time we are in port. Too bad it was not finished and the vendors moved in before Irene hit. We will be there this weekend and again early Oct, so hopefully by the Oct trip, they will be moved it.

Isnt there another small straw market over in the cable beach area?

I hope so! We are coming next week on the Monarch and I always look forward to a few purse purchases LOL

Yes, there is a straw market before you reach the Sheraton (actually right by there). There are a couple small ones in that area. We went to the one that got burned down last year, but they are back again, so couple of choices for you to look at.

In addition, if you go to CocoCay, there is a small straw market there also.

I hope the new straw market is larger. When we were there you could barely walk through the aisles due to merchandise and people. :cool:

Seeing the pic of the damage to the old one is sooo sad :(

Any chance it may also have air conditioning?

I hope the new straw market is larger. When we were there you could barely walk through the aisles due to merchandise and people. :cool:

Seeing the pic of the damage to the old one is sooo sad :(

After 8 years of waiting, we were told in Apr. that it "HAS" to open this month before the new elections take place. So far from the "Nassau Guardian Newspaper" confirms that. We have not seen the inside yet, but should be better organized than the old tent area, and I would suspect it might have air conditioning. We will know on 10/21 when we arrive back there on our cruise. Providing nothing else hits...:)

Thinking about the Straw Market gives me flashbacks to a few years ago when I lost my daughter in there. She was 18, but she has special needs. We had asked a lady to stitch something on a bag for her and walked on down the row while she did it. Turning the corner to come back, my daughter walked ahead of me. She disappeared in the aisle, but I knew she would wait for me at the end. But she didn't. I ran from side to side looking for her, walked partway down several aisles frantically. By this time, I had forgotten where the lady we had ordered from was and I couldn't find her. I was near tears and the nicest man helped me - he took both my arms and said "don't worry, she can't get out the back, and no one here would take her".......we found the lady we had ordered from and there was my daughter - she had remembered how to get back there, so she thought I was the one who was lost! Aaarrrggghhh! I was teary and shaking for hours after that, but it was all good in the end, and the vendors and "spectators" hanging around were so kind to me and to my daughter!

The new faces Bay Street, you can actually see it from the docks. It is pretty good size and will be so much nicer than the old straw market it. When you walk into town, you can see the sign that says "Future home of the Straw Market" or something close to that. We have watched it being built over the last year or so, progress every time we are in port. Too bad it was not finished and the vendors moved in before Irene hit. We will be there this weekend and again early Oct, so hopefully by the Oct trip, they will be moved it.

Sounds like us, we have been there so many time since 03, seems like we own the new market after it opens back up. I think there is also an entrance on the backside as well as from Bay street. Oh well , will soon know, won`t we????

Were there this weekend. Straw market vendors are all lined up outside along the pier by the old straw market. No one in the new building yet. About as crammed together as the old straw market. I am hoping the new market (which looks really nice) will be easier to navigate through and more room to move around.

Archived