#12 formed and headed in a direction I don't like....

Ok, I KNOW it's too early to tell but #12 is formed in the Atlantic and is headed West. We're sailing on the Allure, September 11th. Yes, it's too early to tell, I realize that however, we're flying into Ft. Lauderdale on the 10th. I know the ship will sail but flights may be canceled if it approaches. For purly discussion purposes, how early will we know whether flights are canceled and if we should drive.... Just want to be somewhat prepared since it's a two day drive for us.... Thanks in advance for your seasoned advise and YES we do have travel insurance!

When I saw the title of your thread, I came over to agree with you, or what I thought you were concerned about. Just saw the news about the new storm and my meteorologist said that unless the Gulf Stream helped out and pushed this storm out to sea, that it was heading to the same spot on the East Coast. My first thought was...NOT AGAIN, those poor people!

Concerning your cruise, more than likely, you will make your flight from Texas to FLL and to your cruise unless something changes. ;)

I suspect the airlines will wait until a hurricane warning has been issued, and that will be done by the NHC:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The watch tells you a hurricane may hit a given area, the warning pretty much says you're gonna get it in one way or another.

It's doubtful that you'll know 5,6,7 days in advance. The NHC link also has discussions that the forecaster notes re: wind shear, troughs, etc. These all affect a hurricane's direction and strength.Irene was at first showing to strike Florida mid-state....and it did not. Another good website is StormPulse:

http://www.stormpulse.com/

I hope it doesn't "read" like I'm talking down to you-I hope that if TD12 becomes Katia, it's far away from all of us!!

Have a great cruise.

Always good to be prepared, and I don't have the experience to answer your question, but when I saw your post, I checked out the storm on line. I see that most (unfortunately not all) of the computer models have the storm headed well north of Ft. Lauderdale, so chances are you'll be okay. (Actually if you average out all the paths, it's more likely headed in my direction, back into the northeast again! Darn!!) You're smart to think about a plan because computer models can always change, but maybe not yet. I've found that the maps on wunderground dot com are great, they even have wave height predictions a few days out. Check out the ensemble models when the storm is more than a week away, that's where I saw that it's more likely to head north.

Sue

Thanks all, my heart goes out to all those affected by Irene and hope that the storm heads north out to sea and not to land. I surely didn't mean to ignore the more important risk to life and property, my vacation plans are far less important. Just trying to plan ahead!

Ok, I KNOW it's too early to tell but #12 is formed in the Atlantic and is headed West. We're sailing on the Allure, September 11th. Yes, it's too early to tell, I realize that however, we're flying into Ft. Lauderdale on the 10th. I know the ship will sail but flights may be canceled if it approaches. For purly discussion purposes, how early will we know whether flights are canceled and if we should drive.... Just want to be somewhat prepared since it's a two day drive for us.... Thanks in advance for your seasoned advise and YES we do have travel insurance!

About the only people here in S Florida that are paying any attention to TD 12 are the local S Florida TV weather-people that tend to hyperventillate every time there's a storm anywhere in the Atlantic. Chances are that this storm will turn harmlessly away from land, it's still way too early to tell. And the chances that it would actually impact S Florida, on the very day that you arrive or sail, are even more remote. So no worries! And welcome to Florida! :D

I've heard, but cannot say for 100% sure, that can you influence hurricanes the same way you can keep a bowling ball out of the gutter. Take a look at the tracking map and "shoo" the storm out to sea. A little body English helps too.

Other uses of this technique:

ws_fisk_1975_288x235.jpg

At least a couple of the models show it heading north well before getting as far west as the US mainland. It could well be a fish hurricane (one that only the fishes knew about before there were satellites).

TD 12 will probably be out of your way for the 11th. I would be more concerned for whatever you see after that effecting your sailing. I am watching after Friday this week as we sail from Ft. Lauderdale on the 10th. I really don't think TD 12 is the one we are needing to watch! Correct me if I am wrong please so I know what to look for!

We will also be on the Allure with you. We really don't want to see another hurricane, esp. after just going through one! Anyway, please feel free to join us on our rollcall, it is very active: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=970572

I'm heading from Boston to Puerto Rico this Friday for our first cruise leaving Sunday, Sept 4th on the Serenade, so also not liking seeing #12.

And so are we...as long as we can get to San Juan to board, we'll be okay.

Join us at the Roll Call Forum, and sign up for the Meet and Mingle!

A friend was suppose to fly to NY this past Saturday, on Thursday morning they were contacted my Southwest that many flights were being cancelled gave them the option of moving to a later date or flying a day early- Friday, no additional charge either way to picked.

I'm certainly watching this one everyday, as I'm sailing out of Port Canaveral on September 9th. Yes, it's a bit early, and there is nothing I can really do, but I have never cruise when a hurricane is coming. Last September there were 3 out at sea (I don't think they were fully formed yet) and they all disipated before we left! Whew! Now, if only this one would! HAHA! I doubt it since it's formed, but ya never know! *crosses fingers*

If it does head our way, I know the cruise ship will sail around it or out of it's way, but where would we go? Out to see? Another port?

I am not being snippy or trying to be a smart *** but why when you see a tropical storm forming and your cruise is the following week you start to get worried especially when you are cruising in the heart of hurricane season. If you travel during these months that is what your going to find there is something or another going on in the caribbean. I live in South Florida so I am always watching what is happening and to me it is just not worth the headache or worry.

I know you will make your cruise with no problem and have a great vacation.

Are you asking why sail during hurricane season, or why worry about it?

We have sailed twice before during the season and didn't worry about it, but it does make sense to be concerned.

This year the "threat" is more immediate for those of us on the afore mentioned Bermuda sailing. I feel like I do when we plan to cruise in mid winter. The ports are ok ( except I would not sail out of NY or NJ in the winter) but driving to and flying out of Chicago is sometimes a gamble with winter weather. You just don't know what it will be like when you book 6 months in advance!

I know it will most likely be fine, and if we don't make Bermuda, we will still have a good vacation. In fact, the price for those New England cruises is usually pretty pricey, so that would be kind of a nice alternate destination.:)

Archived