Sept 2nd Departure, is it safe & sunny? [Need to decide today]

starfish54

Need to take wife out for a short vacation, much delayed break after we had our first child last year around september, now kid is old enough that we can leave him with relatives and make a quick getaway.

I was looking at miami hotels, and few other places, but why spend so much money in a hotel while we can go on a boat.

Please let me know if it is safe to cruise in September, especially to Bahamas (I am thinking Norwegian Sky; Miami; Great Stirrup Cay; Nassau). The weather looks grim, and the whole reason for this trip is for my wife to soak up the sun and just relax in sun.

a808b568449474f42c7134d7291c17ce.png

Options ($Inside/$OceanView/$Balcony):

Norwegian Sky Refurb; Miami; Great Stirrup; Nassau - Sept 2-5 ($269/$299/$NA)

Carnival Imagination Refurb; Port Canaveral, Nassau, Nassau - Sept 2-5 ($269/$309/$NA)

Majesty of the Seas Refurb; Miami, Coco Cay, Nassau - Sept 2-5 ($399/$379/$NA)

Monarch of the Seas; Port Canaveral, Nassau, Coco Cay - Sept 2-5 ($399/$439/$NA)

Any feedback/comments are very appreciated. I just don't want the weather to ruin the 3 days we will have out there.

Are you talking about leaving the day after tomorrow? The weather report is as you posted. There is currently a tropical storm (Katia) forming in the Atlantic that is expected to reach hurricane intensity by late Wed. or Thurs.

No one can predict the weather for you, but it appears rain is forecast for the Bahamas for the next ten days.

Thanks 6rugrats,

Yes, leaving the day after tomorrow. I just didn't know if that weather was always showing like that for Bahamas, or if it was a serious weather condition. When we went to Hawaii many years ago during Thanksgiving, the weather was rainy every day, but it just came and passed. I have never been to Bahamas in September, so I wanted to see if this was a regular thing or just really seriously bad weather.

Just checked Katia, thank you so much. Although forecast is not sure if it will travel north before coming closer, or will just approach from south first, it still seems risky.

Sometimes it just depends where you are. We went to one of the out islands on the Bahamas this summer on a land trip. Weather forecast showed thunderstorms and rain everyday.

In the ten days we were there, we had a small shower once; that's it, despite the forecast. So, you just never know.

That's typical weather for summertime in South Florida (which is very close to the Bahamas). What it means is that it will be beautiful and sunny for most of the day, with a fairly short but fairly intense rain storm likely to occur in the mid-to-late afternoon. I wouldn't let it worry you.

One thing to be aware of is that many cruises sell out way ahead of time. You're talking about Labor Day week too (or the days leading up to LD) and some people may take vacation days off around a holiday so they can travel. With LA, too, many of our schools start the day or two after Labor Day and families with school kids may take a pre-school vacation.

With the storm approaching, I didn't want to take a chance.

I will have to try another time I guess. :(

The storm approaching is not a sure thing -- but then nothing is. You may be avoiding one chance by not taking the cruise, but you are creating another chance: that you may not have the time and opportunity again.

Holiday cruises often sell out fairly far out. If you think you want to sail Thanksgiving, now would be a good time to get it booked. Also, if you need air, you will need to look for available seats.

I would not worry about Katia. It should not come near Miami and if it heads for your port, they will just take the ship somewhere else. The other problems that others here listed are more important. I like cruising in hurricane season because the prices are better.

Archived