Tropical Storm Katia? Cruises departing Sep 4?

SnootieTootie

Please, could someone offer opinion as to how Katia may affect cruises departing on September 4?

We are sailing on the Spirit out of New Orleans.

We are seasoned cruisers, so I am looking more for an analysis of the storms path, and if it will impact our departure. (not really worried about missing ports, been to all of them quite a few times)

Thanks!

katia is forecasted to go up the east coast again, and should have no bearings on your western itinerary.

As someone else said just before this post, it is FAR TOO EARLY to know exactly what Katia will be doing.

Check with NCL for any updates on itineraries.

As someone else said just before this post, it is FAR TOO EARLY to know exactly what Katia will be doing.

So very true, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Irene originally headed for either the Keys or Miami area, not up here to Eastern Canada?

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201112_5day.html

Weather Underground is forcasting Katia to be a Cat 3 by Monday, but well north of the eastern Caribbean islands and nowhere near any islands that popular cruise ships might visit (unless it's a trans-atlantic, then maybe).

I'm no weatherman, but if I was I'd say she will be travelling somewhere between the Bahamas and Bermuda sometime mid-to-late next week.

Remember, you seen it here first! I'm the source for wildly inaccurate weather forecasts based on pure guesswork and dumb luck!

Remember, you seen it here first! I'm the source for wildly inaccurate weather forecasts based on pure guesswork and dumb luck!

LOL :D

It's so hard to predict what might happen and where it might turn. We will be on the Spirit the week after you. Hoping for good weather for both of us.

We use these 2 sites to watch and track the hurricanes:

http://www.stormpulse.com/atlantic

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/tracker

Remember how long it took NCL (and some others) to make decisions regarding Irene?

These storms more left, right, and confuse everybody. If they change the plans to Plan B, then the storm moves the other way.

DH was looking at NOAA.GOV who was predicting a path right up to us again like Irene at first:eek: I was saying Holy you know what as it will be a year or more for damage to be fixed in this state alone. It was predicted for timing of when we leave on the 10th but my concern was for all of us on land, the cruise will go wherever it goes, just tell me if I need to pack warm clothes.

Bill Evans said this morning on eyewitness news that a hurricane never follows the path of a prior one. I hope, for once, he is right. Now it is supposedly going to go northeast and be west of Bermuda. With all the devastation I see on the news plus what I see in our area I hope this thing fizzles to a sprinkle. My DH has lived in our home for most all of his 67 years and he said he has never seen a hurricane destroy this area like this one did.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us (and my toes, feet, arms:D)

Kathy

So where would the cruises go if it is decided they can't go to Bermuda? Wouldn't it be unwise to head up to Canada if there is a potential hurricane coming that way? What ports would be realistic to the north (i.e., not also in the way of the storm)? What about southern ports? How many ports could we expect if they head south?

I'm on the Gem leaving NYC on Sept. 4, fwiw. I don't care where we go (well, I'd prefer Bermuda, but I'm not stressed about a change of plans), but I would like to know if I need warm clothing for Canada instead of swim wear for the Bahamas!

So where would the cruises go if it is decided they can't go to Bermuda? Wouldn't it be unwise to head up to Canada if there is a potential hurricane coming that way? What ports would be realistic to the north (i.e., not also in the way of the storm)? What about southern ports? How many ports could we expect if they head south?

I'm on the Gem leaving NYC on Sept. 4, fwiw. I don't care where we go (well, I'd prefer Bermuda, but I'm not stressed about a change of plans), but I would like to know if I need warm clothing for Canada instead of swim wear for the Bahamas!

i am on that cruise as well and I don't want to go to Canada!:(

Yeah - same here... Sadly, it may be a last minute decision and we may not know until we are at the pier if it gets down to the wire.

I plan on bringing at least a sweater or two, a light jacket, jeans, etc, just in case. Can always layer things if it gets chilly on Canada.

Hopefully, if we can't get to Bermuda, they will head South instead of North. The ship can always go behind a storm if there isn't a way to get ahead of it.

Either way, we are going to have a great time. It's a cruise, and it's vacation!!!!!

Nadine

LOL I'll try not to take that as an insult :D :D :D

LOL somehow if it was heading north I don't think they would bring you up here, so no worry about warm clothes. BTW it's 75 up here right now so you don't have to bring warm clothing. It was higher than that but unfortunately hurricane Irene drastically lowered our temps.

Nice thing about cruise ships they can take you out of storms way, so they would head south. And you would either be on the cruise to nowhere (hopefully with one out of country port, so they could stay within their legalities regarding not doing only states or whatever that stuff is about flagged ships).

Not to sound ignorant, but when we say "Canada," what ports are we talking about? Same question for when we say "South," what ports are we talking about?

Sorry you guys aren't gung ho about Canada. I get that, I really do. However I'm more concerned about the major meltdown my 4 year old is going to have if we don't go to Bermuda than about the minor internal meltdown I'll have. ;)

Heather

Not to sound ignorant, but when we say "Canada," what ports are we talking about? Same question for when we say "South," what ports are we talking about?

Sorry you guys aren't gung ho about Canada. I get that, I really do. However I'm more concerned about the major meltdown my 4 year old is going to have if we don't go to Bermuda than about the minor internal meltdown I'll have. ;)

Heather

A 4 year old having a major meltdown if you don't go to Bermuda? That's pretty scary - seriously - especially since we will be on the cruise.

No one can possibly know what ports we'll hit or even which direction we will go if we can't go to Bermuda. Any speculation at this point is completely guesswork - and worthless to anyone.

It's still a vacation - and folks just have to hope for the best and then make the best of whatever happens.

Heather

Hard to say which ports they would change to if going anywhere other than planned. Most times apparently these ports are scheduled way in advance. So it may depend on who has room and will accept them in that port.

We only have a few up here to choose from Sydney, Halifax, St. John. I'm not even sure you could make it up to Charlottetown and still make it back to NY in time to disembark. Gaspesie & La Baie are definately too far to make it back. Thats why they do those on a one way from Boston.

Any port changes I've seen to the south have always been to Nassau, in place of GSC. I think I seen once where they did one along the Florida coast. Can't help you there.

BTW regarding you and/or your 4 year old having a meltdown. After many years of travel experience, I have to say cruising at the best of times requires lots of flexibility. There are so many things that can impact a cruise to change things. But to cruise in hurricane season definately requires twice as much flexibility. Best sit down and have a talk with your little one to explain sometimes things just don't go as planned.

I just got off the phone with Norwegian in regards to the Gem this Sunday and they said if they do not go to Bermuda, they would do the Bahamas, Bahamas Private Island & Port Canaveral in Florida. Said they would not do Boston & Canada this time of year as an alternative. But who knows, up until a few days ago the weather looked to be great there and now its changed again and still could. If I could take any good out of that alternative, it would be to drive to Disney. Thats it. I'm tired out of the Bahamas. Bermuda was the whole reason for this trip, otherwise we would have stayed with Royal Caribbean.

First time I've cruised during this season where there have been this many storms and weather issues. Usually its fine, never constant. 2012 is nearing in….. :eek:

I just got off the phone with Norwegian in regards to the Gem this Sunday and they said if they do not go to Bermuda, they would do the Bahamas, Bahamas Private Island & Port Canaveral in Florida. Said they would not do Boston & Canada this time of year as an alternative. But who knows, up until a few days ago the weather looked to be great there and now its changed again and still could.

First time I've cruised during this season where there have been this many storms and weather issues. Usually its fine, never constant. 2012 is nearing in….. :eek:

LOL that would have really sucked, to leave to go south and end up back up here.

Heather

How would a 4 year old know that he isn't in Bermuda?

How would a 4 year old know that he isn't in Bermuda?

I'm not the poster but I'd have to guess Mommy and/or Daddy have been sharing the vacation planning with the little one of places they would visit.

I'm all for that, did it with my own, probably not a good idea with a cruise and especially a cruise in hurricane season.

I'm not the poster but I'd have to guess Mommy and/or Daddy have been sharing the vacation planning with the little one of places they would visit.

I'm all for that, did it with my own, probably not a good idea with a cruise and especially a cruise in hurricane season.

I assumed that...but when a 4 year old steps off the ship....how does he know where he is?

If I were expecting to go to "someplace"....and got off the ship somewhere else....I wouldn't know that I wasn't in "someplace"....unless someone told me. (like Cuba vs Dominican Republic)

I assumed that...but when a 4 year old steps off the ship....how does he know where he is?

If I were expecting to go to "someplace"....and got off the ship somewhere else....I wouldn't know that I wasn't in "someplace"....unless someone told me. (like Cuba vs Dominican Republic)

LOL you are very right except the sign usually says "welcome to whatever"

That is why I assumed the poster may have phrased it wrong and actually meant that they wouldn't be going to whereever he/she had told them such as "play in the sand on the beach" or "swim with the dolphins" or whatever happens to be in Bermuda for 4 year olds. Sorry my kids are well past 4 and I've never been to Bermuda, so those are kind of fill in the appropriate blanks.

Archived