Tropical Storm Katia? Cruises departing Sep 4?

SnootieTootie

LOL you are very right except the sign usually says "welcome to whatever"

That is why I assumed the poster may have phrased it wrong and actually meant that they wouldn't be going to whereever he/she had told them such as "play in the sand on the beach" or "swim with the dolphins" or whatever happens to be in Bermuda for 4 year olds. Sorry my kids are well past 4 and I've never been to Bermuda, so those are kind of fill in the appropriate blanks.

Can 4 year olds read? My son didn't....

"Major Meltdown" sounds like mom better prepare the kid for "even more fun" at where ever the ship goes........

Can 4 year olds read? My son didn't....

Actually some can, but that comment was directed at your comment "If I were expecting to go to "someplace"....and got off the ship somewhere else....I wouldn't know that I wasn't in "someplace"....unless someone told me. (like Cuba vs Dominican Republic)" and I was just assuming you could read.

I just got off the phone with Norwegian in regards to the Gem this Sunday and they said if they do not go to Bermuda, they would do the Bahamas, Bahamas Private Island & Port Canaveral in Florida. Said they would not do Boston & Canada this time of year as an alternative. But who knows, up until a few days ago the weather looked to be great there and now its changed again and still could. If I could take any good out of that alternative, it would be to drive to Disney. Thats it. I'm tired out of the Bahamas. Bermuda was the whole reason for this trip, otherwise we would have stayed with Royal Caribbean.

First time I've cruised during this season where there have been this many storms and weather issues. Usually its fine, never constant. 2012 is nearing in….. :eek:

Sorry for your disappointment. :( I do appreciate you sharing your conversation with Norwegian though. That's very helpful. :)

Heather

A 4 year old having a major meltdown if you don't go to Bermuda? That's pretty scary - seriously - especially since we will be on the cruise.

No need to be scared. We'll do our best to avoid public meltdowns. I've been told that children with neurological and resulting behavioral problems (like my child) often show great improvement while sailing because of the motion of the seas, so I'm hopeful that we won't have any problems if the itinerary changes unexpectedly.

Heather

In response to everyone else, thanks for your suggestions. We will definitely prepare the 4 year old for the possibility of not going to Bermuda. We'll have to talk up the other islands as well. I actually started doing that this afternoon as a preamble to the big talk!

And, for those who are truly curious, I am happy to report that my 4 (almost 5) year old can indeed read and can definitely tell the difference between a sign saying "Bermuda" and one saying "Bahamas." She also has her full hearing ability and will be able to hear announcements regarding our ports, discussions in the Kid's Club regarding our new destination, and random conversations on board about the change in itinerary. She also would likely notice the absence of pink sand beaches and she would surely notice that we were hitting three ports instead of just one.

Heather

Actually some can, but that comment was directed at your comment "If I were expecting to go to "someplace"....and got off the ship somewhere else....I wouldn't know that I wasn't in "someplace"....unless someone told me. (like Cuba vs Dominican Republic)" and I was just assuming you could read.

Well, I get the point......

So...let's change it to China vs Japan....don't assume I can read those!

Look, I know an adult (about 50 at the time) who had a major meltdown at the port when his ship's itinerary changed from Bermuda to somewhere else instead.

He told the workers at check in that if he didn't get a credit to go to the original destination at a later date, he would start a riot. (I have no doubt that he would have done that.)

The guy works for my husband...and I am absolutely sure that he probably went crazy there, so they appeased him. I know as a fact that he did not sail on the original date...but did so a few weeks later.

Just throwing in my two cents. I am due to sail to Bermuda hopefully on Friday but have to say I have always wanted to go to the Bahamas! Have been to Bermuda over 5 times but never once further south than Orlando. This would be a bonus for someone in my shoes. Now if we could just get some calm seas it would be truly paradise. hmmm.

How would a 4 year old know that he isn't in Bermuda?

I'm sorry but this made me LOL! I have a 4 year old too and I can see myself arriving in Canada and saying it's Bermuda. LOL! I doubt he would care. No offense but this seriously made me laugh really hard!

For all of our sakes, let's hope for calm seas and a tropical breeze! Don't care where we go. I prefer to not go to Canada but I can deal, eh?!? :D

In response to everyone else, thanks for your suggestions. We will definitely prepare the 4 year old for the possibility of not going to Bermuda. We'll have to talk up the other islands as well. I actually started doing that this afternoon as a preamble to the big talk!

And, for those who are truly curious, I am happy to report that my 4 (almost 5) year old can indeed read and can definitely tell the difference between a sign saying "Bermuda" and one saying "Bahamas." She also has her full hearing ability and will be able to hear announcements regarding our ports, discussions in the Kid's Club regarding our new destination, and random conversations on board about the change in itinerary. She also would likely notice the absence of pink sand beaches and she would surely notice that we were hitting three ports instead of just one.

Heather

That's awesome! When is her birthday? Mine turns 5 in February. Not even close to reading! If I see you on the ship, remind me to ask you what your secret is! :D

I'm sorry but this made me LOL! I have a 4 year old too and I can see myself arriving in Canada and saying it's Bermuda. LOL! I doubt he would care. No offense but this seriously made me laugh really hard!

For all of our sakes, let's hope for calm seas and a tropical breeze! Don't care where we go. I prefer to not go to Canada but I can deal, eh?!? :D

I hope the child's mother didn't take offense...

I was picturing my son when he was 4....and unless he was expecting Disney World...he would have been oblivious.

However, since this child has "issues"....I know any kind of minor disruption can cause a meltdown.

In any event....Happy Cruising to all of you!

That's awesome! When is her birthday? Mine turns 5 in February. Not even close to reading! If I see you on the ship, remind me to ask you what your secret is! :D

Jaclyn -- She turns 5 next Tuesday! And she's certainly not reading novels or anything (!) but she can sound out most words and can read those short beginner books they make for emerging readers. Hopefully we'll see you on the ship -- we'll be at the Family Social on the first day. And we'll be wearing mardi gras beads if I can figure out where to get some! :)

Off topic but most dollar stores (if you have any close to you), carry them in with their birthday party supplies.

THANK YOU! Very helpful.

Back on topic, it looks like Katia might be turning more westward toward the southeast U.S. coast instead of toward Bermuda! Here's hoping! (Sorry South Carolina....)

Jaclyn -- She turns 5 next Tuesday! And she's certainly not reading novels or anything (!) but she can sound out most words and can read those short beginner books they make for emerging readers. Hopefully we'll see you on the ship -- we'll be at the Family Social on the first day. And we'll be wearing mardi gras beads if I can figure out where to get some! :)

I got an 8 pack at dollar tree. Minus the ones my son insisted on having, we still have a few. :D

I hope the child's mother didn't take offense...

I was picturing my son when he was 4....and unless he was expecting Disney World...he would have been oblivious.

However, since this child has "issues"....I know any kind of minor disruption can cause a meltdown.

In any event....Happy Cruising to all of you!

It's just funny because it reminding me of all the other "creative" ways I have had to manage his expectations. When he learned to talk he insisted on knowing what the name of each driver was that passed us. This got very ANNOYING so I started coming up with names using the alphabet. Oh, that was Ann, Bob, Carl, you get the idea.

Here are a few Canadian Ports:

Montreal, Quebec City, St. John NB, Halifax, Charlottetown PEI, and they are all within a day or so sailing from Boston-Baltimore and New York City.

Originally Posted by hmbc1977 viewpost.gif

Not to sound ignorant, but when we say "Canada," what ports are we talking about? Same question for when we say "South," what ports are we talking about

Here are a few Canadian Ports:

Montreal, Quebec City, St. John NB, Halifax, Charlottetown PEI, and they are all within a day or so sailing from Boston-Baltimore and New York City.

Originally Posted by hmbc1977 viewpost.gif

Not to sound ignorant, but when we say "Canada," what ports are we talking about? Same question for when we say "South," what ports are we talking about

Thanks!

Looks like Tropical Depression 13 will cause some tremendous rain for N.O this weekend. The maps show it hitting around Sat/Sun. This will cause a wet sailaway for the NCL Spirit this Sunday. At least this storm is not too big but it could mean some rough sailing initially for the Spirit.

Thanks everyone. We are leaving today. We are staying at Embassy suites on Julia.

This weekend is the Southern Decadence Festival and Parade in New Orleans (we're old, straight people so we won't be participating in that :)) but it sure sounds like it will definately rain on their parade.

A little rain, or maybe a lot of rain won't stop us from having a good time.

See ya'll in about 9 days!

Archived