Inbound HNL flight, which side of plane?

bigtoeswim'n

I know I have read about this subject on POA reviews. In the next few days, I'm going to be booking DH and me on Hawaiin airlines from PHX.

So, which side of the plane is better facing the pilot, right or left side?

Thanks to any who answer. Looks like the right side facing pilot offers a better view (from looking at kwbound pic).

Sooo excited about our Dec 2011 cruise.....!!!!:):):)

I know I have read about this subject on POA reviews. In the next few days' date=' I'm going to be booking DH and me on Hawaiin airlines from PHX.

[/quote']

If the winds are not kona (blowing from the south), right side if you want to see Oahu but if you want to see the Neighbor Islands (Molokai, Maui, Hawaii etc) it usually would be on the left side.

Standard approach to HNL is southbound over the east side of Waikiki (just about right over Diamond Head, then turning west, looking at Waikiki, the harbor, and Pearl Harbor out the right side of the plane. Then the plane does a sweeping 180 degree turn west of the airport, coming back the east to land. This last stretch, you will see Pearl Harbor out of the left side of the plane.

Departing HNL, the left side has the best views.

I never get enough of seeing Oahu from the air so my preference is right side facing the pilot flying into HNL and left side on departure. The views of Hanauma Bay on departure are beautiful. The only other thing is that those sitting on the left side of the plane coming into HNL have a great view of Pearl Harbor. Flying in and out of HNL can also be more fun if you are sharing the runway with fighter jets. Cherie

Archived