Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

boyerd

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to decide if the premium is worth it. I would hate to feel the pressure of having to drink just to make it worthwhile.

I am a rule follower and if it says no sharing then I wont share but I know that i will see others sharing drink packages much the same as I've seen people sharing soda packages on other cruises. I know its not my problem but i find it frustrating when i know that they are cheating the system. how does celebrity ensure that people arent sharing? Just curious.

The system (computer billing system) knows when drinks have been purchased on a package. If two drinks are bought too close together in time, it will alert the bartender. That is only one way that Celebrity knows if an attempt has been made to share a package.

I'm still trying to decide if the premium is worth it....

If you are unsure if a package makes sense for you then take a pass. The packages are expensive as they are priced well above the average passenger expenditure level. They only make sense for those passengers who either drink above average quantities of the included beverages or are willing to pay extra for an all inclusive beverage experience.

I'd recommend you start the cruise without a package and just pay as you go. If you then decide that a package would be a good idea you can purchase one on board for a price that will be prorated for the number of remaining nights in the cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

Larry is absolutely correct. I would also say its a good deal if you like more expensive drinks - such as craft beers, cocktails from the Molecular Bar and martinis. Doesn't take too many of those drinks to meet your daily quota! You don't need to drink nonstop to "get your money's worth". A few of these drinks plus wine with dinner and a coffee drink or 2 and its well worth it for me. I also like the idea of the freedom to try new drinks. Again, it's not for everyone.

I'm still trying to decide if the premium is worth it. I would hate to feel the pressure of having to drink just to make it worthwhile.

I am a rule follower and if it says no sharing then I wont share but I know that i will see others sharing drink packages much the same as I've seen people sharing soda packages on other cruises. I know its not my problem but i find it frustrating when i know that they are cheating the system. how does celebrity ensure that people arent sharing? Just curious.

We were on the Equinox in November. It was our first Celebrity Cruise and we were not sure if we should get a beverage package or not, so we decided to wait until we were on the ship to see how things went. For one thing, there are 1/2 price drinks every day during happy hour. Also, if you have a port intensive cruise, you will not be around to drink all day. For us, the package would have been a complete waste of money.

The system (computer billing system) knows when drinks have been purchased on a package. If two drinks are bought too close together in time, it will alert the bartender. That is only one way that Celebrity knows if an attempt has been made to share a package.

Do you know for a fact if they do follow this up?

We've shared a package before and had no issues.

Greetings

Almost all the other lines that offer packages require the packages be purchased by everyone sailing in the same cabin. Celebrity must believe they have sufficient safeguards in place to prevent sharing or maybe Celebrity believes that they have a more honest clientele than other lines.

No matter how one tries to justify it, sharing is stealing.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Almost all the other lines that offer packages require the packages be purchased by everyone sailing in the same cabin. Celebrity must believe they have sufficient safeguards in place to prevent sharing or maybe Celebrity believes that they have a more honest clientele than other lines.

No matter how one tries to justify it, sharing is stealing.

Good Sailing

Tom

Have to agree with you there. Getting your moneys worth is one thing, being a thief --well that means something else.

Likely that prices will increase or program dropped if there are a lot of dishonest folks abusing the system. Likely not a concern to some folks.

Also, if they do catch you sharing the contract reads that you will be removed from the package with no refund for remaining days unused.

My wife and I took our first X cruise on the Equinox last March and both bought the premium package. I normally drink far more than her as she is a one maybe two drink girl at home. She didn't want to get the package and I did. When they went on sale after booking that decided it. Some would say it's not healthy to drink too much but she drank like a sailor every day and I think she had the most fun I have seen her have in decades. As we prepare to set sail in just over two weeks on the Silhouette I was considering skipping the package but my wife said we should get it because she likes trying new drinks "risk free", having the variety of non alcoholic choices and not worrying about what she spent today. She said it just adds so much fun, relaxation and a stress free environment that even if she doesn't get her money's worth it is well worth it to her. This from a woman who watches every penny at home.

As for those that share/steal :mad: the packages at the expense of the rest of us, I believe in Karma and sure hope I am right!

I read that you can get a Bailey's in the morning at some cafe's, but what about from a butler in your room? We are traveling on Century and I was wondering if we order with Breakfest for the varanda, can we enjoy drinks also. I know we can fet champage and OJ, but Bailys in the coffee sounded wonderful? Does room service offer alchol to guests in there room?

Kj

This thread is very interesting. It looks like many of us will be able to take advantage of free beverage packages thru the 123Go promo going on now thru Jan 27th on sailings thru April.

Here in Europe (Sweden) we never have any promotions of any sorts and always have to pay full price (because Celebrity Cruises only promotes to North American citizens (and on rare occasions to the UKs)), but for once we've seen a similar 'free drinks package' on offer. But the thing is the TAs of this frozen peninsula don't know either cruising or Swedish marketing laws, because the package offered for free is the Classic Package, but the TAs value it as a Premium Package. That is a big No No and could result in heavy fines.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from 14 day with a Premium Package each (2).

Surprisingly I got printout of what I "bought" at the end.

Mostly did "Doubles" or $10 / $12- cocktails. Average drink cost say $10-.

330 drinks between us or 14 days = $3300-. Bought it when 10% discount so around $1400- cost....... Great deal for us.

At no point did I feel that bartenders didnt want to deal with people on package and happy to serve another one even if had some of previous one left.

330 drinks between us or 14 days = $3300-. Bought it when 10% discount so around $1400- cost....... Great deal for us.

At no point did I feel that bartenders didnt want to deal with people on package and happy to serve another one even if had some of previous one left.

Wow! A dozen drinks per person every day for 14 days? And mostly all doubles!! Now that's Crazy!

I guess I'm a lightweight. That's why the package is good for you and not so much for me.

So sorry to burst your bubble but we returned today from a 5 day cruise on the Constellation and there is no way the number of drinks we had per day tallied to what the final bill showed. Somehow on the second night in the MDR the two of us ordered 5 drinks in 1 second. Oh, but wait! ;) :D, Two nights later the same two drinks showed as 5 drinks in the same 1 second period of time. Magically 4 drinks became 10.

For those on the fence with the drink package, what the final bill print out is no where near reality.

Edited by Oville