San Diego Cruise Terminal

RobinLWms

Hi. Does anyone know if there is a grocery store close to the cruise terminal in San Diego, CA? I want to bring soda and water on my cruise, but I am flying in from San Francisco, and I don't think the airlines will allow me to bring a suitcase full of beverages on the plane. :rolleyes: Thanks for any help. robs

There is a Rite Aid drugstore just a few blocks east and a block north of the cruise terminal. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay (across the street from the pier) and it was an easy walk to Rite Aid to pick up some things the night before embarkation.

Google "Ralphs" -- they have everything -- grocery store, wine, etc.

It is not too far of a walk -- but if you have a lot you are buying -- take a taxi back to the ship.

Great suggestion.

Ralphs WOULD have a much better selection and MUCH better prices, and is relatively close to the terminal. Take an extra small rolling suitcase or duffel, to make schlepping sodas and stuff aboard easier.

Doesn't the ship carry water and soda?

The ship has both readily available.

Some people like to bring soda aboard as they can get it cheaper ashore. They like to bring water on as it costs more ashore than turning a tap. :confused:

Or something like that, I think.

Gee, isn't it a lot of work looking for a shopping center and hauling on soda and water? To each his own, of course, but how much extra would you spend? You probably paid a good sum for the cruise, so whats another few bucks?

We don't drink sodas - but some people don't like Coke products which is the brand that HAL has on its ships. Plus it can get pretty pricey if you drink a lot of soda.

Also we find that the ships water is better than what we get at home. So we don't take any on board.

Why not try one of those new "cups" with a built in, reuseable filter, or a large insulated cup, with a lid, and go to the Lido water machine and fill 'er up. We have been on LOTS of HAL cruises, and NEVER had a problem drinking the water that is on board in the room pitchers.

Gee, isn't it a lot of work looking for a shopping center and hauling on soda and water? To each his own, of course, but how much extra would you spend? You probably paid a good sum for the cruise, so whats another few bucks?

Never mind the cruise, what about the air fare. Going up all the time. For us to fly from Toronto to San Diego and back is just a shade less than we paid for our return from Toronto to Amsterdam in June.

I'm not one to shy away from a little work, but I do drink a lot of liquids, and I don't want to have to go out to get it or wait for room service, when I need something to drink. My cabin will be my home while I am on board, and I want it stocked. I can only drink the ship's water if it has lemon in it, because I can't stand the taste, but then after about 6 glasses, there's the lovely rash that comes from the lemon. On my first cruise, my sister and I spent nearly $300 on soda and water, and that was a 10-day cruise. This one is 21 days. Though the cruise is not cheap, that does not mean I am not conscientious of what I spend or the current econonic climate. I would rather have the convenience and spend that money on specialty dining, an excursion, or, most especially, future cruise credits. :)

I'm not one to shy away from a little work, but I do drink a lot of liquids, and I don't want to have to go out to get it or wait for room service, when I need something to drink. My cabin will be my home while I am on board, and I want it stocked. I can only drink the ship's water if it has lemon in it, because I can't stand the taste, but then after about 6 glasses, there's the lovely rash that comes from the lemon. On my first cruise, my sister and I spent nearly $300 on soda and water, and that was a 10-day cruise. This one is 21 days. Though the cruise is not cheap, that does not mean I am not conscientious of what I spend or the current econonic climate. I would rather have the convenience and spend that money on specialty dining, an excursion, or, most especially, future cruise credits. :)

We did the carry on soda on our first cruise - but that got cumbersome so on the second cruise - we invested in the Soda and Beverage Cards. The soda card alone cost $25.00 and purchased $50.00 worth of canned coke on board. I don't like staight coke - so I carried a bottle of Grenedine with me. For in the cabin - I purchased a 6 pack and kept them in the room. The stewards were very good about keeping the ice bucket filled, and when we boarded, we had them empty the mini fridge so they were definately cold. As for my chai - we purchased the Beverage card for $45.00 and it was good for $50.00 worth of purchase from the Explorations Cafe. Since I had close to $20.00 left on the card, HAL refunded me $15.00 on disembarkation day.

They are worth looking into. However which way you chose to go with your pop purchases, just have a good time on your trip.:)

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises:

2012 - Alaska - 14 day cruise

2013 - Eastern Med - 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

What!!! I can hardly believe that you spend $300 on soda, water is free. Granted, you like a lot of liquids, but juice, coffee, iced tea, and hot tea are all offered for free. A cruise is not supposed to be "like being at home" (in my opinion), its an adventure, time to get out of the box and try different things...enjoy!!!

However which way you chose to go with your pop purchases, just have a good time on your trip

Thank you. I'm leaving in November, and I'm super-excited!

What!!! I can hardly believe that you spend $300 on soda, water is free. Granted, you like a lot of liquids, but juice, coffee, iced tea, and hot tea are all offered for free. A cruise is not supposed to be "like being at home" (in my opinion), its an adventure, time to get out of the box and try different things...enjoy!!!

Wow! All this time, I have been paying for bottled water. Please be so kind as to let me know where I can get it for free on the ship. As to, "a cruise is not supposed to be "like being at home," contrary to your quotation marks, what I actually wrote is, "my cabin will be my home while I am onboard." As regards your opinion that a cruise is not supposed to be like being at home. I guess that would depend on where and how you live. Thank you for the "enjoy!!!" I definitely will.:rolleyes:

Wow! All this time, I have been paying for bottled water. Please be so kind as to let me know where I can get it for free on the ship.

The bottle isn't free, but the ship's desalinated/filtered tap water should be of equal quality and taste and therefore you can always have "free refills".

Try flying directly into Las Vegas on any airline then Southwest has a direct flight from there to San Diego, that's what we are doing in January from Detroit, as the flights to San Diego from Detroit were horrible with all kinds of plane changes, so we go nonstop to Vegas spending a couple nights there then one way on Southwest to San Diego, the return flight we got direct from San Diego to Detroit with no stops.

Try flying directly into Las Vegas on any airline then Southwest has a direct flight from there to San Diego, that's what we are doing in January from Detroit, as the flights to San Diego from Detroit were horrible with all kinds of plane changes, so we go nonstop to Vegas spending a couple nights there then one way on Southwest to San Diego, the return flight we got direct from San Diego to Detroit with no stops.

Archived