Has anyone won a cruise?

Wayfairers

Mom & I won a 9 night Scandinavian/Russia Cruise from Royal Caribbean back in 1995 as part of a national contest - we filled out entry forms at our local cruise travel agency. Mom got the notification letter, she called me about it, then faxed me the letter which I took to the travel agency to verify - which they did.

R.C. booked our air out of Ohio on TWA to Amsterdam and we got stuck big time in NYC with airplane mechanical problems on 2 planes (!!!). After almost 8 hours, TWA ended up combining 2 flights and taking us to Madrid, Spain first instead of Amsterdam. We were literally standing in the airport in Spain waiting for our connecting flight when our cruise ship sailed. Found out that we weren't the only ones affected and totally there were 7 of us in the same situation. It was 7:30pm when we finally arrived in Amsterdam (we should have arrived at 8:30am that morning) and us 7 all approached the TWA desk and made our case heard. The airline put us up for the night and finally agreed to fly us all to the next port of call (Stockholm) the next morning. Royal Caribbean also paid for our hotel in Stockholm & transfer to the ship since the cruise ship wouldn't arrive until the next morning. We "lost" 2 nights on ship but we made the best of the situation and toured Stockholm in the meanwhile and enjoyed an evening dinner river cruise.

When the cruise ship docked the next day, there were 2,000+ passengers rushing to get off and us 7 thrilled to get on!!! We were "celebrities" for the rest of the cruise as the cruise director announced on the first night about us.

My hubby won a cruise many moons ago, through his company. It was our first cruise ever, and now have 20+ under our belts. Had a great itme on the first cruise and still have fun on all the others. We actually have more fun, the older we get.

I bought my parents a $10 raffle ticket and they won, enjoying a 7 night Celebrity cruise on the Zenith in '95 I think it was. The raffle was held by the Sertoma Club and they sailed r.t. from NYC to Bermuda, after spending a day enjoying NYC. I believe that they had an Oceanview Stateroom. :)

A while back, a friend of mine won a radio contest for a 7 night trip to Disneyworld for 4 people. Everything was included-flight, hotel, car, admission passes. When she got the statement showing the retail price of the win,she freaked---then took it to her accountant. He checked into IRS 1st,, then told her to go to a couple of t/a's and price out the trip as if she was buying it out of pocket.

It was thousands less than retail, and that's what she paid taxes on. She submitted the t/a's "bill" , with an explanation of the "win". IRS accepted the t/a's bill.

Has anyone else done that? Can any accountants confirm if IRS will still accept that?

A while back, a friend of mine won a radio contest for a 7 night trip to Disneyworld for 4 people. Everything was included-flight, hotel, car, admission passes. When she got the statement showing the retail price of the win,she freaked---then took it to her accountant. He checked into IRS 1st,, then told her to go to a couple of t/a's and price out the trip as if she was buying it out of pocket.

It was thousands less than retail, and that's what she paid taxes on. She submitted the t/a's "bill" , with an explanation of the "win". IRS accepted the t/a's bill.

Has anyone else done that? Can any accountants confirm if IRS will still accept that?

This is what I was wondering; if by remote chance I won a cruise, I wouldn't want to pay the tax rate on the retail price, which (hopefully) no one ever pays. For instance, the undiscounted rate on a recent 14 day cruise we took was almost $4000pp for our cabin; we sailed for $799pp.

So, if the IRS will accept the cheaper price as the taxable amount, that's good news. Otherwise sometimes you might be paying more for a 'free' cruise than if you booked it yourself at a great price.

wow you have to pay tax on winnings in the US? I'm so glad we don't have to do that here in the UK. I used to enter competitions almost as a full-time job a few years ago when my daughter was tiny and I was stuck at home. I probably spent 5 hours a day entering them (although it was the days of dial-up so that may have been why it took so long lol). I never won a cruise but I did win a holiday in Egypt, 2 trips to Paris and lots of other eletronics, books, dvds, cds, concert tickets, champagne, food gifts and more. I think I worked out I'd won about £5000 worth of prizes and thank goodness never had to pay anything. It would definitely put me off entering if I had to pay for winning.

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I was wondering; if by remote chance I won a cruise, I wouldn't want to pay the tax rate on the retail price, which (hopefully) no one ever pays. For instance, the undiscounted rate on a recent 14 day cruise we took was almost $4000pp for our cabin; we sailed for $799pp.

So, if the IRS will accept the cheaper price as the taxable amount, that's good news. Otherwise sometimes you might be paying more for a 'free' cruise than if you booked it yourself at a great price.

That is what I have always thought too - good idea to get a quote from t/as to turn into the IRS. If I ever win a cruise I am going to do that.

I won an ocean view cruise for 2 from Carnival 3 years ago. Luckily since I live in Canada I didn't have to pay any income tax. I had a year to use the voucher and had 3 choices to sail on any 7-day itinerary. I was happy that I got my first choice, especially since it was over American Thanksgiving.

I won our first cruise thrugh a radio station contest - it was a Caribbean cruise for 2 which we upgraded (I believe it cost $175 total) to a cabin for 3 so we could bring our son along. Many years later I won a $7500 travel voucher from a frozen pizza company which we used for our first Mediterranean experience on HAL's Prinsendam.

Like MsRed318, I am also from Canada, so didn't have to pay any taxes, just accepted the prizes, packed luggage and went on vacation. You folks in the US have ugly tax laws when it comes to prizes; if we win 10 million dollar in a lottery draw, we get every penny of it. You get a very stripped-down version of the 10 million.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I won our first cruise thrugh a radio station contest - it was a Caribbean cruise for 2 which we upgraded (I believe it cost $175 total) to a cabin for 3 so we could bring our son along. Many years later I won a $7500 travel voucher from a frozen pizza company which we used for our first Mediterranean experience on HAL's Prinsendam.

Like MsRed318, I am also from Canada, so didn't have to pay any taxes, just accepted the prizes, packed luggage and went on vacation. You folks in the US have ugly tax laws when it comes to prizes; if we win 10 million dollar in a lottery draw, we get every penny of it. You get a very stripped-down version of the 10 million.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Yes, it's a sad law.....I discovered the facts in an earlier post, and that it only happens in the USA. It would take some of the joy out of winning.Mind, it's not very pleasant paying tax on the interest of my £10,000,000 lottery win, either....:rolleyes:

Jo.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone won a free cruise through the drawings done in port? We were on an Alaskan cruise this summer and were contacted that the entry we dropped off at a jewelry vendor was picked. Will be speaking to this person again in 2 days so he could talk to both my husband and I and answer any of our questions. No doubt that I did fill out the entry form but am somewhat leery so will be asking many more questions before going forward. Anyone in a similar situation?

Has anyone won a free cruise through the drawings done in port? We were on an Alaskan cruise this summer and were contacted that the entry we dropped off at a jewelry vendor was picked. Will be speaking to this person again in 2 days so he could talk to both my husband and I and answer any of our questions. No doubt that I did fill out the entry form but am somewhat leery so will be asking many more questions before going forward. Anyone in a similar situation?

I smell timeshare or vacation plan hard sell.

Eleven years ago, I won a cruise that was given away by a Furniture Store celebrating their Anniversary. (Just filled out a form and put it in jar)

Flew us (2) to Venice; seven day Greek Island cruise on Costa; OV; overnight in Venice at the end of the cruise; and air back to Miami. The only thing we paid for was alcohol.

Fantastic Trip that we will neer forget.!!!!!

:rolleyes:

DH won a poker tourney on a Princess cruise; the prize was a balcony cruise on the same ship/itinerary 6 weeks later! (to play in the "big" tourney--I placed 5th in that one..paid...NOTHING:() We only had to pay air.

Last Oct. I won a poker tourney--finals are our upcoming Allure cruise. We only got a room same as we had in Oct (OV)...had to pay port fees, tips up front. (did have option to upgrade) Plus air, of course.

Haven't had to pay taxes on these..not sure why...

Can't complain...we have only personally paid for 3 cruises...:D

DH won a poker tourney on a Princess cruise; the prize was a balcony cruise on the same ship/itinerary 6 weeks later! (to play in the "big" tourney--I placed 5th in that one..paid...NOTHING:() We only had to pay air.

Last Oct. I won a poker tourney--finals are our upcoming Allure cruise. We only got a room same as we had in Oct (OV)...had to pay port fees, tips up front. (did have option to upgrade) Plus air, of course.

Wow! I guess it pays to be an expert poker player. Where are you in Nebraska?

Hi Kris! Havent seen you on these boards for awhile. Werent we at dinner on the Star? Did you win that one? I was with my sister & my son...

We won a Carnival cruise on their non-smoking ship (can't remember the name) in the late 90s. It was a great 7-day Caribbean cruise including air (started in San Juan and went to the American and British Virgin Islands). We had cruised many times before and have since. This one was comparable to other cruises we have taken. We won it when we activated a phone card that came with a bottle of Centrum vitamins. We hadn't even noticed that they were offering a cruise. The poor man who called to notify us had to call three times before we believed him.

The non-smoking ship was the Paradise. We went on it in 2001 and it was one of our best experiences on a ship. Very clean. No stale smells. We were happy when we learned it was being sent over to the west coast as we wanted to go on it again, but sad when we learned smoking would be allowed.

I remember years ago when my father patronized a store that specialized in selling game show prizes. That was back when there was a ton of game shows on TV. Winners will sell them any items they didn't want to keep. They still had to pay taxes based on the suggested manufacturers retail price. But at least this way someone could get some cash for an item they weren't going to use.

Hi Kris! Havent seen you on these boards for awhile. Werent we at dinner on the Star? Did you win that one? I was with my sister & my son...

My husband won the one on the Grand; he made top 2 tables on the big cruise & I got 5th. (paid--$0)

Last Oct. my husband, my brother & I were top 3 at the final table. Kinda weird...luckily the 3 of us really didn't even play any hands against each other until we got to top 3.

Archived