First Family Cruise in 2 weeks!! :)

jennbngl

Good Afternoon everyone!!

Our family is going on our first family cruise in two weeks and I am getting a little nervous. The kids are DD 15, DS 13 and DD 9. DH and I have been on plenty of cruises on our own, but this year we decided on a family trip.

Any and all tips are welcomed!!! we are flying the day before and leaving the day after. We will be on Freedom of the Seas, which it will be our fourth time on a Freedom class. But it's the little things I'm afraid I won't think of.

Jenn

You went on Oasis and Freedom THREE times before this but this is the first time with kids. :eek: How on Earth did you manage to sneak out of the house the other 4 times without them? :D

You do realize that NOW they are going to know what they have been missing all of those times you were gone. You are gonna be in TROUBLE :eek: Good luck! :p

But seriously, have an awesome time! You won't be able to sneak out without them for the next one! :D

At those ages, there's really nothing "special" you'll need for the kids....whatever you'd take to any beachy vacation will do. You've already experienced cruising, so there should be no surprises! The younger kids will love the clubs, and the 15 year old....I guess that one will do what 15 year olds do....hang out around the pool or sports deck or arcade!

Just took my kids (12, 15, 18) on the Golden Princess to Alaska last month. They had a great time! They made friends and hung out with them most of the time. I hardly ever saw them during the day. I wish I had been better about setting a definite time each evening to be back in their room to get ready for dinner. Sometimes I had to run around looking for them. My DD12 was really good at leaving notes or calling my cabin and leaving a message, but the boys were not so consistent.

Although they did their own thing most of the day, I made them all eat dinner with us in the dining room every night. They loved trying new foods and eating lots of fancy stuff, like lobster and creme brulle. They got very spoiled! My oldest left for college 3 days after we returned from our cruise, and has been stuck eating dining room food since. Poor baby!

I'm sure your kids will have a great time. Enjoy!

Thank you everyone for the replies!! I hope the kids like it. I guess it's the unknown that I worry about (who doesn't, right?)

Michele - you are too funny!!! They've been wanting to go, but we dubbed it "our week of from responsibility" :D:D. We have friends going alogn with their son. It'll be fun. I can't wait to experience it with them. Usually were walking through the Promeneade and were talking about what they would like.

Sherry - dinner will be a must event. DS will try aything...the girls eat mostly chicken, but can finish a steak of two. They will be sooo tired of the camera after about day 2:eek:

CB - thanks! this should be a good age for them to try this. the baby has come out of her shell, and is a little chatter box.

Bring sticky notes! We have found they work wonders for leaving notes as to where we are, where we are going, or times to meet! With my oldest son we usually just let him know generally what times we were eating and requested that he met us for dinner, but otherwise he could chose to meet us or not.

Now some random thoughts :p

The arcades work off the seapass card, so you may want to set limits on that.

Remember RCI is getting strict with towel policy, so remind them not to just leave their towels laying around.

Bring lanyards for the seapass cards, less chance of them putting them down and leaving them somewhere.. Guest relations will punch a hole in them no problem.

Pack long pants if they plan on ice skating.

Pack rash guard tops for the flowrider.

I think that is it for now. Have a great time!!!!

Archived