Chrstimas Cruise - Ruby Princess or NCL Sun???

Sueil33

I posted this question on the NCL thread as well.

My husband and I are looking for great cruise for Christmas week - we are in our mid forties, no kids, married just a year. We enjoy beautiful surroundings and a bit more upscale experience so we are focusing in on either Princess or NCL for the trip.

I have been on Carnival and RCL and together we have sailed with Disney 2xs including this year on the new Dream. I have to admit to being spoiled by Disney level service - but we are looking for more of an adult focused romantic week this trip.

Suggestions - or things we should reconsider?

We are booked on the Crown over Christmas and I'm a lttle worried about being overrun by children. We haven't been on a Christmas cruise for 20 years and after an Easter one 14 years ago, I said never again but our grown son wants to go. From our (slow) roll call, there are many families but their children are older so hopefully that is the norm. We booked a suite so we can enjoy our own balcony and have room service so we don't need to fight the crowds. I figure there will be large groups around the pool, etc. I'm planning for the worst and then we will be happy when we discover I was wrong.

I noticed there are a couple suites left on the Ruby, also mini's. Our ship is waitlisted in most areas.

You might want to read some of the posts from that roll call and you might get some ideas of ages, children, etc. But remember, the majority of people aren't members of CC.

Good luck.

We are booked on the Crown over Christmas and I'm a lttle worried about being overrun by children. We haven't been on a Christmas cruise for 20 years and after an Easter one 14 years ago, I said never again but our grown son wants to go. From our (slow) roll call, there are many families but their children are older so hopefully that is the norm. We booked a suite so we can enjoy our own balcony and have room service so we don't need to fight the crowds. I figure there will be large groups around the pool, etc. I'm planning for the worst and then we will be happy when we discover I was wrong.

I noticed there are a couple suites left on the Ruby, also mini's. Our ship is waitlisted in most areas.

You might want to read some of the posts from that roll call and you might get some ideas of ages, children, etc. But remember, the majority of people aren't members of CC.

Good luck.

I have quite a few clients with kids booked on that cruise. :cool:

I have cruised on both Princess and NCL during Christmas. I will be spending this Christmas on the Grand (woohoo). While I have enjoyed both cruise lines, I feel Princess “does Christmas better”.

Granted it has been a long time since I sailed NCL and things have probably changed, but I remember it being more children focused with the extra holiday activities. They had themed crafts for them and kiddie parade. They did offer a very nice chocolate buffet after midnight mass.

Princess is more adult focused, without neglecting the children. The ship is tastefully decorated and is very festive. The caroling in the atrium is very nice. Father Christmas does visit the ship and gives gifts to all the children who visit with him. One year the CD kept updating the ship as to Father Christmas’ progress towards the ship. I think the older cruisers enjoyed it even more than the children. The railings of the atrium were packed with people watching the children receive their gifts.

I never did go back to NCL for the holidays, but this will be my 4th Christmas on Princess.

I didn't notice the children on Princess as much as on my NCL cruise. I kept seeing the same couple of kids over and over again. I think Princess does a pretty good job of keeping them busy. My nieces loved the kids program and spent a lot of time there.

We did a Transatlantic cruise on the NCL Sun Last November. I really like that ship for its wide runner friendly Promenade deck and the availability of tables for two in freestyle dining. Also, my wife liked the couch and coffee maker in balcony cabins.

But, we have sailed on the Emerald, which is similar to the Ruby and really liked that ship, too.

A lot will depend on itinerary, cost, and the things that are important to you.

We did two holiday cruises on Princess, exactly five years apart and both on the Hawaiian itinerary. Princess really does it great -- it seems all ages enjoyed themselves with the activities. And you don't have to deal with crowded malls and spending hours trying to find a parking space.

Archived